Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Originally posted by captain_video
    The only thing I can see that would make it even better would be a companion guide that explains each step in more detail outlining what's actually happening behind the scenes. It would be kind of like the bonus DVD in a boxed set with the behind the scenes footage and outtakes.

Actually, I thought about writing one, but there are only so many hours in the day - and right after I started this thread I got really hammered with PM's. Thank god things have finally quieted down.

What I was thinking about doing in very lay man's terms is explaining about how the tivo and monte work without all the unix stuff. The problem with most of the howto's (no offense) is that a non-unix person doesn't have a clue what all the dd, mount, genroms, etc are doing. So it would make it easier for them to explain it without all the tedious details.

Then they could run the scripts and learn all the detail.

I ran into the same pitfall that someone else posted earlier in that I mistakenly chose the PROM option the first time through.

Another honest admission. I will definately change this in the next version. You are the 3rd person that admitted this. I wonder how many others have done it and did not admit it.

My compliments on a truly outstanding effort.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-08-2003 at 01:32 AM.

Originally posted by relay
    A couple of suggestions:
    1st, perhaps a break out of the script after the surgery phase so that a user could test out the bash and verify that it was working BEFORE the hacks installation

Yes!

2nd, a confirmation at the end telling the user that the script has completed so that they don't have to guess if it's all done. I know, should be able to figure it out but you are targeting some non tech. people with this ISO.

Yes!

3rd, perhaps a method to start at the restore phase using the already created .mfs file.

Yes Again! However, you can skip any of the phases if you pay attention and hit any key other than enter at the appropriate time. I understand the suggestion.

All of these these are great suggestions that I will incorporate into the next major release.

Also, I will be doing auto detect of the version of sortware that the tivo is running so to be able to install customized hacks for your version.

Also, I will support backing up a monte'd drive.

Restoring any image for those who want to use 3.1b or 4.x.

Un monte-ing a monte'd installation in order to let an upgrade occur.

Please keep the suggestions coming
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-08-2003 at 01:33 AM.

29 Sleeper,till next week

Off to Cancun and can't wait to see the changes you make when i get back.(not really.Cancun or Canada.NO real choice there,sun and warm or chance of snow)
    Will chat when i get back and keep up the good work.

kernel version

I am installing monte on an HDVR2 with 4.0 os from a SAS2. A kernel panic occurs when the usb modules "usbcore.o" try to load. I get a message that the modules are compiled for the 2.4.4 kernel and not the 2.4.18 kernel.

dogbreath

If you are installing the Stand Alone OS - treat the unit like a Stand Alone and DO NOT install the network drivers (they are already there....)

Spydertech

I commented the drivers out in the rc.sysinit.author and the drivers still try to load and the kernel panics. Any ideas?

dogbreath

What I meant was - when you apply the monte hack - treat the unit as a Stand Alone and answer the questions as such....

The problem is that you replaced the SA network drivers with the ones for the HDVR2 software - and obviously that won't work.

Re-do the monte using the 1.01 script - and answer all the question as if it was a stand-alone unit.

Spydertech

Re: kernel version

Originally posted by dogbreath
    I am installing monte on an HDVR2 with 4.0 os from a SAS2. A kernel panic occurs when the usb modules "usbcore.o" try to load. I get a message that the modules are compiled for the 2.4.4 kernel and not the 2.4.18 kernel.

dogbreath
    Yes, that will happen. There are several ongoing threads about this topic. This is not currently supported by the scripts.

Please move this topic to another thread.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-08-2003 at 12:18 PM.

Hey Sleeper.. I followed your iso, and had no error on my DSR7000.. I see that it shows Successful to the call - and I'm assuming that it means that the scripts are running. I'm trying to connect with a serial bash now.. and I'm not getting anywhere. Is there something that I need to do different? (I'm connecting with Hyperterm, N,8,1, Hardware flow control). I'm getting nothing appearing in my term window at all.

midnightmaraude Guest
    Digital
    connect to the baud rate that starts with 115 i believe.. and turn flow control off

My question: I'm downloading s2-40-4-0b.bak from tivostuff.. it came from a TCD240040 series 2 standalone unit 40 hour.

Will this backup work using sleepers iso? I want to put it on a HDVR2

midnight

It works just fine on an HDVR2

dogbreath

short the two outer pins of the 1/8" connector together. Type at your terminal. The characters should be echoed. If that works, try using a null modem - you may have TX & RX reversed. Here is one of the many post on how to construct a cable:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...able#post16187

Originally posted by midnightmaraude
    Digital
    My question: I'm downloading s2-40-4-0b.bak from tivostuff.. it came from a TCD240040 series 2 standalone unit 40 hour.

Will this backup work using sleepers iso? I want to put it on a HDVR2
    Originally posted by Sleeper
    Yes, that will happen. There are several ongoing threads about this topic. This is not currently supported by the scripts.

Please move this topic to another thread.
    WHICH WORDS IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? I WILL SEND YOU A LINK TO AN ONLINE DICTIONARY

TAKE THIS DISCUSSION ELSEWHERE! FOR THE LAST TIME, IT IS NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORTED

Sleeper thanks for all your work on this! I did mine last night and everything went very well.

I do have one observation and maybe it's only happening to me. Five minutes after I reboot I notice the Tivo starts changing screens and jumping from screen to screen. I noticed the sleep 300 in the .author file and assume it's the fixsub that is causing this. Is this normal?

midnightmaraude Guest
    Sleeper don't jump to conclusions that i"m a noob man. I was simply asking about a specific TiVo from which the image came from. I know 4.0 will work on a HDVR2 but wanted to make sure the one I was downloading would suffice.