Page 53 of 129 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Quote Originally Posted by lenroc
    The link light should turn on regardless, as long as the ethernet adapter is recognized, and plugged into anything. Plugging it into a hub with a patch cable (or another PC with a crossover cable) even with incorrect settings should turn on the Link light, IIRC.
    Thanks lenroc. It's been my experience that more often than not these USB network adapters would not light if the network settings were invalid, but then we only use 2 types here (Linksys 100USBTX and 3Com 3c460B), so I guess it may be indicative of these particular adapters rather than USB network adapters as a whole. I assumed that the behavior we see here would be universal.

I think I'll go out at lunch and get a Netgear or something and try it.

Mark
    Last edited by mconn; 01-14-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mconn
    Thanks lenroc. It's been my experience that more often than not these USB network adapters would not light if the network settings were invalid, but then we only use 2 types here (Linksys 100USBTX and 3Com 3c460B), so I guess it may be indicative of these particular adapters rather than USB network adapters as a whole. I assumed that the behavior we see here would be universal.
    Come to think of it, I was mostly talking about standard PC type stuff. I've never plugged my USB adapter in with invalid settings.

I guess it could go either way

Quote Originally Posted by mconn
    I have the file, used it last evening, worked fantastically. Just need some clarification on a couple of points.
    The problem with the mfs_ftp included on the sleepr ISO was with insertion, extraction worked well.

Steps to follow after using sleeper's iso and booting your tivo successfully:

1. Remove installed version of mfs_ftp and move over the newest S2 version
    2. Remove the installed version of tytools and move over the newest version
    3. Remove the sort and 30 second skip hacks from rc.sysinit.author if you don't want to use them and are annoyed by the menu switching and whatnot about 5 minutes after boot
    4. Grab the new "dual tuner" version of tivoweb if you are interested in that functionality.

I am fairly certain that these are the only steps necessary to update the hacks installed by sleeper's iso. Of course once you have control of the software running on the tivo the possibilities are endless. Hopefully this serves as a concise summary for those confused by many posts regarding the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by lenroc
    Come to think of it, I was mostly talking about standard PC type stuff. I've never plugged my USB adapter in with invalid settings.

I guess it could go either way
    It's the bane of working in higher education. Student files helpdesk ticket "Your network stinks. My computer won't log on and I know there is nothing wrong with my computer so it must be your stinky network." Helpdesk discovers that the student invariably has XP Home and has no clue as to how to set their networking up, which is a real pain in Home anyway. A lot of our students lately have been coming in with no-name laptops with no NIC (which makes sense I guess, loaded with Home and all) so we have a cache of these USB Network adapters for these students to use. We have have found that the Linksys and the 3Com are the easiest and most trouble free, but the 3Coms are getting a little hard to find.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Any ideas on my previous post regarding which I need to do next after upgrade with Sleeper's ISO?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    The problem with the mfs_ftp included on the sleepr ISO was with insertion, extraction worked well.

Steps to follow after using sleeper's iso and booting your tivo successfully:

1. Remove installed version of mfs_ftp and move over the newest S2 version
    2. Remove the installed version of tytools and move over the newest version
    3. Remove the sort and 30 second skip hacks from rc.sysinit.author if you don't want to use them and are annoyed by the menu switching and whatnot about 5 minutes after boot
    4. Grab the new "dual tuner" version of tivoweb if you are interested in that functionality.

I am fairly certain that these are the only steps necessary to update the hacks installed by sleeper's iso. Of course once you have control of the software running on the tivo the possibilities are endless. Hopefully this serves as a concise summary for those confused by many posts regarding the topic.
    Thank you for your very concise summary. It is as I thought, but having your confirmation helps a great deal.

Mark

How to edit rc.sysinit.author after the fact?

Could someone please give me some assistance in making changes to rc.sysinit.author via TELNET now that I have everything else up and running?

I would really prefer to use JOE, and I don't understand exactly why it isn't working.

If someone could shed some light on this and give me some pointers to get it working, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

PB

Unhappy Samsung 4040r

Ran through Sleepers script on a Samsung 4040r. I already upsized the drive so I skipped the restore phase.

I'm receiving the failing on boot after everthing is complete.

Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    Service number is 3810000E01393FE.
    What is password?

Any ideas?

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by zeddock
    When I first was doing the Sleeper iso, I went in and tried to change the ip address on the Tivo Drive. When I did, I think I screwed it because I had brought it into windows first, edited, then back out again with SmartFTP.

Well, since then, and looking through here, I have found my error was that I took the file out of UNIX compatibility.

Short story is that my Tivo stopped working after that and I had to redo the hack, completely. I am afraid of that happening again, since my wife has started to enjoy the many additional hours of space, and has numorus recordings sitting on the Tivo.

My questions:
    A. What things should I keep away from that would make the hacked Tivo revert from hack, (like editing the author file incorrectly)??
    B. My sleeper-hacked Tivo is on the network. Can I Backup the entire thing, somehow? (I remember the sleeper scripts only BU the guts and not the recordings.)

Thanx,

zeddock

Can anyone help with this, please?

Quote Originally Posted by zeddock
    Okey-dokey...

I have done enough searching on this to know that there is not a straight-forward description of the phone-calls that are being made by HDVR2. (There is not anything good partaining to other units either.)

All of my questions here, are for the Sleeper ISO hack with default settings and assumming HDVR2 with 3.1b software.

Here are the questions:
    A. What TYPE of calls does the unit try to make?
    B. What is each type of call accomplishing? (S/W updates, PPV purchases, etc.)
    C. What calls (if any) are being blocked under the ISO hack?
    D. If the network is connected with a way of reaching the internet cloud, what phone-calls are going to be attempted over that connection?
    E. Does the Sleeper hack stop network calls, also?
    F. What specifically is meant by "phone home"?

Before anyone starts typing fast at me..... I do know some of these answers, but I would like to have some of the more knowledgable members, here, address each of things and expand as desired. For right now, this is for the sleeper iso hack specifically, but I will probably try to interpret and post on newbie section, also.

Thanx, in advance.

-zeddock

Any suggestions? Wanna redirect me to another thread, perhaps?

md5sum for the latest tivoscripts iso?

Sleeper,

I've spent the last 10 hours reading through this thread, along with all the references, and there is one thing I would like to ask for.

Is it possible to have you edit the first post and add the md5sum of the tivoscripts1_1.iso? It will give me that "warm and fuzzy feeling" that I have the right iso, even though I did download it from your link, etc, and by all rights it should be correct.

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to using your disk today on my SA TCD24008A.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterBeninya90
    Could someone please give me some assistance in making changes to rc.sysinit.author via TELNET now that I have everything else up and running?

I would really prefer to use JOE, and I don't understand exactly why it isn't working.

If someone could shed some light on this and give me some pointers to get it working, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

PB
    the iso doesn't install the required file /var/hack/etc/joerc. if you create the dir "mkdir /var/hack/etc" & ftp it over joe works fine
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

One more thing...

I seem to be completely inept at searching.

I can't seem to find the thread on how to use maxblast (the only one that I can get to come up is this one or short ones with no info).

I have a 200GB drive that I need to use for a few weeks until my 120 is freed up, but it is a Western Digital and the Maxblast utility says I need a maxtor drive installed.

Is it worth attempting to use TiVo for the next few weeks without MaxBlasting the 200, knowing that I'm going to replace it anyways. Will the extra space be simply unused, or will the TiVo be unstable?

TIA for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    Any ideas?Howard
    Try following the instructions.

Instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Try following the instructions.
    Sorry....

1.) What script did you run? Prom or Monte?
    Monte
    2.) If you ran the Prom script, who soldered your prom into your Tivo?
    n/a
    3.) What model is your unit?
    Samsung 4040r
    4.) How big is the original hard drive?
    40gb
    5.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    no
    6.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    no
    7.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?
    3.1.1b
    8. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    yes
    9.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    160gb
    10.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.

1st time - segmentation fault line 38 initrd
    2nd time - no errors

11.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.

Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    What is password?

12.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    A splash of Bawls may have landed on the power supply during boot up.

13.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?

Yes,Yes

14.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?

No. I'll try this next

15.) What model USB newtork adapter are you using?

USB200M
    16) Which network drivers did you choose to install?

ax8817x

Thanks,
    Howard
    Last edited by hxmiller; 01-15-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Password problem

Quote Originally Posted by hxmiller
    Ran through Sleepers script on a Samsung 4040r. I already upsized the drive so I skipped the restore phase.

I'm receiving the failing on boot after everthing is complete.

Boot failed reason=60
    Ram size = 64
    What is password?

Any ideas?

Howard

I received this same problem, it was only when I was pressing ENTER a few times as the tivo was booting. If you dont press enter, just wait patiently - your Hyperterm or whatever comm program says "CONNECTED" at 115200, n, 8 , 1.. just wait patiently it will start throwing things on the screen about booting ... and then when you see the BASH prompt you'll know your in.. Wait till it says RC.sysinit complete.

Press enter a few times then, and you'll be at the bash prompt.

MAV