Page 60 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoFastItsMe
    Thanks Splitsec.

Although a nasty response may be justified, many of us do search but do not come upon the answers after searching many many pages. People who help out (like you did) are much appreciated by all readers.
    Don't forget about the "Search this thread" link below and to the right of the forumwide "Search" link at the top of the page once you're actually viewing the thread.

-macdougall

Quote Originally Posted by macdougall
    I successfully installed Sleeper's iso last night on my Samsung S4040R but ran into a bit of a problem I'll post a solution to here.

My problem was that after the Backup process I took my new drive off the primary controller and put it on the secondary controller as master as per Sleeper's instructions. After rebooting and moving on to the restore process, I kept getting stuck as I was prompted to have a fat32 drive hooked up to the primary controller as master as well as having my backed up fat32 on the secondary as master. Maybe even though I tried several times, I still missed something but it looked to me like I had to have my new drive in two places. My solution was to follow a bit of Hinsdale's guide for the restore process then back to Sleeper's for surgery and hacking.
    You never need to move the fat32 partition, it should stay primary master always, the cdrom I think is primary slave always, and the tivo drive goes on secondary master all the time. Of course you back up from original image drive and then pull it and put in new drive to restore to in the ideal case.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

Worked like a charm!

Replaced my 40GB Maxtor with a 160GB Western Digital (partitioned to 137.4) last night and installed Sleeper's ISO. Worked like a charm. Thanks Sleeper!

A couple things that might help others:
    1. After installing the new drive back in the TIVO, my menu system acted a little quirky. Without touching the remote, the system would start changing the menus by itself, almost as if it was possessed. Through whatever random combination of keystrokes it was doing, it would end up trying to play one of the previously scrambled shows, which of course wouldn't play given the scramble-to-no scramble conversion. Anyways, it was late and I had to get some sleep, so I just left it for the night and figured I'd debug it the next day. As I was heading off to bed, I could hear the HD reading and writing pretty heavily. I figured it was downloading all the new program listings. Anyways, the next day I've been using it for a few hours with no problems and its seems like whatever demons were in the machine have been exorcised. I'm wondering if it was just distracted downloading all the new program listings.

2. After completing various stages and testing the drive back in the machine, I noticed my settings screen reported "Account Closed." I panicked at first but decided to continue with the installation. After getting all the steps done, it still reported that. When I went to watch a live channel, it started downloading program data and reset to "Account in Good Standing." Is this normal? I didn't see mention of it in other posts. (I had the box disconnected from the satellite dish until the very end.)

3. If have Windows XP and didn't want to run the risk of disturbing data on my primary C: drive by creating a partition. I recommend buying a small drive or finding an extra one your can borrow for the FAT32 master drive. Unplugging my primary C: drive during this whole process gave me a lot of peace of mind that I wouldn't screw up my C: drive.

Now I'm off to learn how to FTP and Telnet the machine. Thanks again Sleeper!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtw_124
    Replaced my 40GB Maxtor with a 160GB Western Digital (partitioned to 137.4) last night and installed Sleeper's ISO. Worked like a charm. Thanks Sleeper!

1. After installing the new drive back in the TIVO, my menu system acted a little quirky. Without touching the remote, the system would start changing the menus by itself, almost as if it was possessed. Through whatever random combination of keystrokes it was doing, it would end up trying to play one of the previously scrambled shows, which of course wouldn't play given the scramble-to-no scramble conversion. Anyways, it was late and I had to get some sleep, so I just left it for the night and figured I'd debug it the next day. As I was heading off to bed, I could hear the HD reading and writing pretty heavily. I figured it was downloading all the new program listings. Anyways, the next day I've been using it for a few hours with no problems and its seems like whatever demons were in the machine have been exorcised. I'm wondering if it was just distracted downloading all the new program listings.

2. After completing various stages and testing the drive back in the machine, I noticed my settings screen reported "Account Closed." I panicked at first but decided to continue with the installation. After getting all the steps done, it still reported that. When I went to watch a live channel, it started downloading program data and reset to "Account in Good Standing." Is this normal? I didn't see mention of it in other posts. (I had the box disconnected from the satellite dish until the very end.)

3. If have Windows XP and didn't want to run the risk of disturbing data on my primary C: drive by creating a partition. I recommend buying a small drive or finding an extra one your can borrow for the FAT32 master drive. Unplugging my primary C: drive during this whole process gave me a lot of peace of mind that I wouldn't screw up my C: drive.

This is great feedback, but I know that just about everything you have mentioned was listed on the front pages of this thread or inside of this thread.

You will find that the "possessed-like" actions have been talked about and they are nothing to worry about. From what I have read, if you want to get rid of them you simply have to remove those hacks that cause the problem from your author file. However, I decided this step is not "simple" for a noob like me, so leaving them turned on and dealing with a few minutes of sipritual warfare is acceptable.

On the Account closed / Account in good standing.... not sure. I doubt most look to see this info before trying the ISO fully. By that time, I suspect the system has become recognized again and all is well in DirectTV-ville. So most never see this.

On the "find a spare drive to use" issue. That is almost exactly what is expected and certainly what is suggested in this forum. There are many warnings about NOT using a windows (NTFS in particular) drive to do the BU / Restore work of the ISO hack.

So it looks like you had a great success! Congrats! I have not had the opportunity to try the new ISO (1.02). I am looking forward to that time but I want to wait until it is more noob-proof. <laughs> Besides, my wife is genuinely happy with her Tivo box right now. Until I see sumptin REALLY needed, I will have to be patient.
    (Although, the other day our remote, and the whole system seemed to become terribly slow and non-responsive. *I had been playing with TivoWeb* I could control the system through Tivoweb, but not the real remote. Others posted that it might have something to do with heat. So... it is possible that I will have an excuse soon, to tear back into this puppy!)

Let us know how your Bash/ Telnet, etc goes, please? But make sure to follow the thread rules as Sleeper requested, using the filled-out info form from the frontpage of this thread. This practice makes it easier for the experts here to help you, and in turn, to help the rest of us.

Thanx,
    -zeddock

Quote Originally Posted by Jtw_124

Nothing to worry about,
    Two of the hacks are scripts to automaticly activate your 30 second skip and activate 'sort' for your Now Showing list.

New Update 3.1.1c coming down.

Has anyone who has done the sleeper hack got upgraded to 3.1.1c? Just wondering if this new software upgrade is going to affect us. I'm running 3.1.1b now. If we put our original Tivo drive back in and let it update, will sleepers script work on the new software?

Quote Originally Posted by creepy
    Has anyone who has done the sleeper hack got upgraded to 3.1.1c? Just wondering if this new software upgrade is going to affect us. I'm running 3.1.1b now. If we put our original Tivo drive back in and let it update, will sleepers script work on the new software?
    As best I know it you should be able to let the original drive update and then redo the monte and be all set. I'm hoping that sometime soon sleeper can put together the new version of his monte scripts that leave the tivo in a state to more easily update without doing a complete redo.
    Malfunct

I thought that after you did a Sleeper hack the box would not do an automatic upgrade (I forget what the flag is... it's mentioned somewhere in this thread).

Anyone know the answer to this?

Quote Originally Posted by goony
    I thought that after you did a Sleeper hack the box would not do an automatic upgrade (I forget what the flag is... it's mentioned somewhere in this thread).

THAT WAS THE POINT OF THE PREVIOUS POST.. you would have to put your old (original) drive back in to get the update then re-monte your system as if done from scratch.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Quote Originally Posted by goony

It won't automatically update, but as I understand it, it will get into a mode where it shows you pending reboot and reboots you at 2am each day. I don't want that happening to me. You are correct though, nothing with be changed until you manually let it change. I advise not letting it try to automatically upate the monte'd system because repairing the mess will not be fun I'm sure.
    Malfunct

ISO doesn't backup kernel

1.) What script did you run? Prom or Monte?
    Monte
    2.) If you ran the Prom script, who soldered your prom into your Tivo?
    NA
    3.) What model is your unit?
    HDVR2 (but shows as HDVR3 on system information)
    4.) How big is the original hard drive?
    5.) Is or has your original hard drive been hacked before.
    no
    6.) Have you ever performed a mfsrestore to your original hard drive?
    no
    7.) What version of software is running on your original hard drive?
    3.1.1b-02-2-151
    8. ) Has your box been subbed, receiving DVR service and DTV if it's a DTivo?
    yes
    9.) What size is the drive that your are restoring to?
    120GB
    10.) Were there any error messages when running the scripts and exactly what did they say. If you are not sure then perform the entire operation again before posting.
    during the kernel backup phase, i get 0+0 records in, 0+0 records out. i have even tried using bootpage manually and then using dd if=/dev/hdc3 of=/cdrive/tivo/kernel.img or whatever - nothing. A fdisk done from linux shows no partitions on the drive. But, the original drive works.
    11.) Include the text captured from your terminal (hyperterminal) where the error occurred in your post.
    n/a
    12.) Did you spill coffee on your Tivo while you had it open? Just kidding?
    n/a
    13.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the RESTORE phase and before the SURGERY phase? Did it work?
    n/a
    14.) Did you test the drive in your tivo after the SURGERY phase and before the FINAL (HACKS) phase? Did it work?
    n/a
    15.) What model USB newtork adapter are you using?
    n/a
    16) Which network drivers did you choose to install?[/QUOTE]
    n/a

Not related to hacking, but FYI here's a discussion of version 3.1.1c.
    Last edited by goony; 02-05-2004 at 06:59 PM.

Red face I'm a ****ing moron....Or this isn't your father's SA1

OK, I admit it, I did something stupid. I didn't clear the encryption key when moving a disk image from one SA2 to another.

I have two S2's, a 24004A and a 24008A. I've had the 8A for awhile (month), and it had already received the 4.01 upgrade. Thus, when I bought a second unit, I used the 8A to image from so I would have to wait for the software upgrade. I thought it would save time and frustration....Boy was I wrong....It would have if I had understood the SA2's new encryption. I guess I was just applying too much SA1 experience to my new SA2's.

So, all the troubles I've had have been self-inflicted.

Thanx to AlphaWolf for setting me off on the right track!

Dumb mistake!

ok.. I did something stupid .. forgot to set attrib to x on my rc.sysinit.author --

then found out that there are things VERY different in the way hacks were done on the S1.

all the BASH, Telnet, FTP etc... are done in rc.sysinit.author dumb idea in my opinion , and I will fix once I'm back in...

because of my mistake; I'm locked out of my TiVo, can't even get in via serial --- why was that decison made "Sleeper ?" to put the way in in the file that is editted most. I would think that BASH & TelnetD should remain in rc.sysinit - then never touched (unless really needed)

kinda defeats the whole pupose of the rc.sysinit.author in the first place, at least in my opinion. Provides a safety net, incase a typo or somesuch error - you can still get in and fix.

OK... with that said what do I need to know to get in - after mounting the drive in my PC -- what do I do to mount that drive, do I boot from Sleeper's ISO (without the scripts) Knnopix ?

mkdir /mnt/s2dtivo
    mount /dev/hdx? /mnt/s2dtivo

or something like that? what partition is the /etc/rc.d directory?
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Thumbs up Kudos

Thanks for all the hard work on your iso, Sleeper.

I originally hacked my DSR7000's with BASH_ENV, using MR.Blacks thread, about 6 months ago. It took me 2 weeks of reading thru threads and late nights.

I got your iso from 1-22-04 and used it to swap to a bigger drive using monte, it took 15 minutes for 3.1.

Since then I tried putting 4.0 on it, worked.
    And now 4.0.1b, (still working on tivoweb and mfs...)

It is so simple now, thanks for putting all together.

--BrayNShocK
    I donated, you should too.