Page 63 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Quote Originally Posted by dletsch
    I get the same problem when I use a mfstools iso - the bootpage command reports /dev/hda4, but I get 0 length when trying to use dd to backup /dev/hdc3 (or any other partition from hdc1 through hdc9).
    This is really strange. Everything that you are saying makes sense. The reason the scripts are failing is becasue the kernel can't be extracted. I was going to suggest trying another pc and burning another copy of the ISO but you already tried both.

Can you mount /dev/hdc4 and see the root fs? Also, can you mount /dev/hdc9 and see var?

A tip of the hat to Mr. Sleeper for a very fine utility!!

I finally got an extra hard drive to give the Sleeper ISO (V1.02) a try and it performed flawlessly on my enlarged (to 120GB) but yet unhacked HDVR2 running V3.1.1b. My console port came up with trash (am using old dumb terminal instead of PC port) so I'll need to modify the port speed.

I installed the MONTE'd extra drive back in the Tivo and didn't connect a TV set... I just let it chug a bit and when the light came on my USB/Ether adaptor I went to another PC and was able to Telnet and TivoWEB just fine!

Re: setting partitions

FYI, I use a partition utility (at no cost) that is a subset of a product called "BOOTIT NG" (http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html), which is a 3rd party multiboot tool (cost: $34.95). If you follow their instructions you end up making a floppy disk that you can use to install their product. If you just click 'cancel' so as not to let it install anything it dumps you out into a window in which you can click "partition work" and you can make FAT32, NTFS, Linux EXT2, etc. partitions to your hearts content.

Using this partition tool doesn't cost anything - the cost comes in if you install their multiboot tool - it works normally for the "trial period" but after that it gets ever s-l-o-w-e-r in rebooting your system until you pay up and install the unlock code.

There are lots of other partition tools, some of them are listed at this particular partition tool site: http://www.ranish.com/part/
    Last edited by goony; 02-13-2004 at 08:54 PM.

kernel won't extract/backup

i like to think i'm not a complete ***** - i used to to a lot of linux work, and am a rhce and msce (which are together worth nothing, in my opinion). i did burn your iso 1.01 and two copies of your 1.02, and have tried different PCs (1 SIS-based celeron 533, one pIII 450 intel-based, one pIII 500 intel chipset). Tried one brand new 80GB WD as the C drive, and an old Samsung - same thing. The tivo and about 5 taken-apart PCs are a desk in my office - I will look closer at the pdisk -l output and try to mount /dev/hdc4 and /dev/hdc9 in the morning.

Sorry if this is partially incoherent - I've been out drinking because I have about $35k in a used Audi with computer/engine gremlins and have been beating my head on several Audi forums even worse than my Tivo. i only need the tystream extract to work so I can watch TV shows the next morning while I am on the horrible elliptical trainer at the gym. Sleeper - thanks again for all your work. I know from the other posts that your ISO works great on 99.99985% of tivos - just not mine.
    Last edited by dletsch; 02-13-2004 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Can you telnet to the unit? I assume you can not get bash over the serial port.

Put an echo statement in rc.sysinit.author before and after the line that starts bash. See if the output appears on the serial port after booting. It almost sounds like rc.sysinit.author never gets called for some reason. Let's verify that it does with the echo statements.

S.
    I'm getting the same, was this ever resolved ?

in my case i know that rc.sysinit.author is NOT running:

Code:
    Scanning for phase3 repair scripts
    Starting Services.
    Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: Permission denied
    rc.sysinit is complete
    Can't telnet in or get bash over the serial port. Any suggestions ? thanks

Just a guess - is the rc.sysinit.author file readable and executable?

cd /etc/rc.d
    chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author

Second guess - did you edit it on a Windoze machine, and transfer it back? If so, make certain there are not ^M characters at the end of every line.

Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by (o)here(o)
    I'm getting the same, was this ever resolved ?

in my case i know that rc.sysinit.author is NOT running:

Code:
    Scanning for phase3 repair scripts
    Starting Services.
    Scanning for phase4 repair scripts
    /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author: Permission denied
    rc.sysinit is complete
    Can't telnet in or get bash over the serial port. Any suggestions ? thanks
    keith721
    ------------------------------------------------
    Series 1 SVR-2000 w/TurboNet

Quote Originally Posted by keith721
    Just a guess - is the rc.sysinit.author file readable and executable?

cd /etc/rc.d
    chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author

Second guess - did you edit it on a Windoze machine, and transfer it back? If so, make certain there are not ^M characters at the end of every line.

Hope this helps.....
    thanks for the quick reply unfortunately without bash or telnet i can't access rc.sysinit.author to chmod or edit it... maybe ill just restore and start again.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by (o)here(o)
    thanks for the quick reply unfortunately without bash or telnet i can't access rc.sysinit.author to chmod or edit it... maybe ill just restore and start again.
    You could also pull the drive, and use Sleeper's bootable Knoppix CD in your PC to check/change whatever might be necessary to fix the problem. It's a *LOT* quicker than trying to re-run everything.
    keith721
    ------------------------------------------------
    Series 1 SVR-2000 w/TurboNet

Quote Originally Posted by keith721
    You could also pull the drive, and use Sleeper's bootable Knoppix CD in your PC to check/change whatever might be necessary to fix the problem. It's a *LOT* quicker than trying to re-run everything.
    hey, yea... good idea. thanks for workin with me... my brain isn't firing on all cylinders today i guess
    DSR7000 v3.1.1b
    WD1200jb
    FA-120 USB2

need help, i;ve been reading on this forum but i have not clear on this:

i will have to use my original drive (since i lost my job and i cant spend money on a new drive) and i know that i shouldnt do that, this is a sd-dvr40 unit (rid).

1-after i back it up, should i have to restore the image on the original drive again (will this add something) or just skip the restore step and follow with the hacks install?

2-will a 3.1.1b image of a HDVR2 work on my SD-DVR40 unit or must to have a 3.1.1b from a SD-DVR40?

thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by roberton
    1-after i back it up, should i have to restore the image on the original drive again (will this add something) or just skip the restore step and follow with the hacks install?
    Nowhere does it say to skip any of the phases. Does that help?

2-will a 3.1.1b image of a HDVR2 work on my SD-DVR40 unit or must to have a 3.1.1b from a SD-DVR40?
    You need an image from a DVR40!

thanks sleeper

Just a suggestion

Hey sleeper,

For a newb like me (to tivo), this script seems like a godsend. Just a few questions/suggestions that I haven't noticed in the thread.

Is there plans for a Tivoscripts 1.03? If so, what will be the changes and when?

Is there any way to wrap the WEP enabled USB drivers into the install? It would help me greatly without trying to do them afterwards.

There was a couple other questions, but now I am blanking. WIll think more with a bit more rest.

Thanks

...delete me
    Last edited by compwiz312; 01-18-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordThing
    Is there plans for a Tivoscripts 1.03? If so, what will be the changes and when?
    There may be a minor release (1.03) Someone contributed modified code that includes different drive configurations but he has not tested it. If it is tested it will probably go up unsupported.

The next release, which is currently in progress is 2.0. Sorry, I'm not giving release dates. However, Knoppix-Lite and TPM are far enough along that they can now be used as the new platform for TivoScripts 2.0.

Is there any way to wrap the WEP enabled USB drivers into the install? It would help me greatly without trying to do them afterwards.
    Everything will be installed as seperate packages. If you would like to help you could tar up all the network drivers that are not currently on the ISO. I will package them up with TPM along with a configuration script.

Prism Drivers

Actually, I'm not sure if they are already there, but the ones I have found that they say allow you to use wep is the Prism 2.x drivers found in this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...hlight=wep+usb

Or you can get them from my site : Wlan-ng-tivo.tar