Page 77 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1931

Thread: (DEPRECATED) SLEEPER ISO - Series 2 Scripts for U5, Monte and Prom with many hacks

Quote Originally Posted by PlainBill
    If you've got a serial connection, you can fix this without pulling the hard drive. The settings are in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author. I'd suggest remounting the drive rw, editing the file in vi, then saving it and restarting the system. Consider it a learning opportunity .

PlainBill
    I'm always up for a challenge! Whats VI - i take it some sort of editor?
    What I really need are the basic bash commands to get me started..
    Greubin

Quote Originally Posted by Greubin
    I'm always up for a challenge! Whats VI - i take it some sort of editor?
    What I really need are the basic bash commands to get me started..
    This should probably be in the newbie forum but yes, vi is a text editor. It is quite anachronistic but like all things Unix the fans are legion and it will never die. Almost everyone in the Windoze and Mac worlds have embraced GUI interfaces but Unix types still love their command line. This is probably a good thing because otherwise TiVo hacking would be next to impossible! A quick Google pulled up this info:

bash command line reference:
    http://www.ss64.com/bash/

vi editor tutorial:
    http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

There is also a Joe editor which is supposedly installed with Sleeper's CD - I haven't tried it yet but here's some info on it:

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matlo...tesJoe.NM.html

to edit this file you would need to do something like this from your bash prompt:

mount -o remount,rw /
    vi /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

- OR -

mount -o remount,rw /
    joe /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author
    Sleepered HDVR2, 160GB upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by webwide
    This should probably be in the newbie forum but yes, vi is a text editor. <SNIP>

There is also a Joe editor which is supposedly installed with Sleeper's CD - <SNIP>
    Unfortunately, the joe editor installation is 'crippled' in TiVoScripts.

Here's another tutorial on vi. http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...inux_ugvi.html I'm not a quick learner, but I managed to teach myself all I needed to know about vi in 5 minutes. Joe would be easier - it uses the same commands as WordStar (Or perhaps wordStar used the same commands as joe ).

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Thanks to both of you. I tried
    mount -o remount,rw /

and I get "no such file or directory" ?
    Last edited by Greubin; 03-27-2004 at 06:13 PM.
    Greubin

Joe is fixable. I can't remember the exact specifics, but I think I had to install it manually. I find Joe easier to use, then again, I remember using WordStar with these same commands.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

Thanks to both of you. I tried
    mount -o remount,rw /

and I get "no such file or directory" ?
    Ok, I was able to open this file, but there are lines of text in VI
    "/rc.sysinit.author" line 1 of 1 --100%--

Thanks for the links to VI info WebWide, much help.
    Greubin

Ok, I was able to open this file, but there are lines of text in VI
    "/rc.sysinit.author" line 1 of 1 --100%--

Thanks for the links to VI info WebWide, much help.
    That would indicate the file does not exist. Change to that directory [cd /etc/rc.d] and list the directory [ls].

PlainBill

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

That would indicate the file does not exist. Change to that directory [cd /etc/rc.d] and list the directory [ls].

PlainBill

The file exists, but it looks as though there are no commands inside.
    (none):/etc/rc.d$ dir
    finishInstall.tcl rc.arch rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.author
    (none):/etc/rc.d$

Greubin

The file exists, but it looks as though there are no commands inside.
    (none):/etc/rc.d$ dir
    finishInstall.tcl rc.arch rc.sysinit rc.sysinit.author
    (none):/etc/rc.d$

Ahhh - you DID hack the drive using Sleeper's TiVoScripts, right?

PlainBill

Ahhh - you DID hack the drive using Sleeper's TiVoScripts, right?

PlainBill
    Yup, but at this point I"m thinking I'll just do the image restore and surgery at this point.
    Greubin

Yup, but at this point I"m thinking I'll just do the image restore and surgery at this point.
    Actually, I would suggest you redo only the hacks phase (skip backup, restore, and surgery).

PlainBill

Thanks a bunch!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts and help. Sleeper, this went so smooth, I really want to thank you.

I've never even attempted hacking a Tivo, and now, thanks to this thread and forum, I figured out how to reduce a 160 GB drive so that Tivo will accept it, how to get my proper IP address because I have a router, what to update, and other useful information.

Actually, I had to do it twice. Once I got the hard drive ready, I went through all the stages before I remembered that I wanted to set the Amset utility to Quiet. So, I inserted a boot floppy, but it didn't take, and the machine started booting into Windows. I quickly hit the power button, but I remember some warnings that if you booted into Windows, the drive might not be good. Rather than chance it, I went ahead and did all the steps again. Pretty easy!

I read through this whole thread yesterday right before it moved. So, when I wanted to read some parts again just to be sure, I had to do a search to find out where it was...at first I thought it may have been deleted!

But, there it was. Now, I still need to start learning tytools and how to update the tools that are on there now, but I'll do the reading

Thanks again for everyone's help. A Tivo newbie salutes you!

Sleeper, could you put a 1.02 changelog at the start of the thread so I can decide if I want 1.02 or if I can stick with 1.01? I need to redo my monte.
    HDVR2 - 107 hours and monte'd

Talking

Actually, I would suggest you redo only the hacks phase (skip backup, restore, and surgery).

PlainBill
    Thanks for all the help..I've successfully connected to my tivo ( reinstalled hacks ) via ethernet Even better, I've figured out tserver and tytools to extract video, cut, edit, and backup Anyone wanna buy an old VHS
    Greubin

Suggestion

I'll admit I have only read to page 10 (currently). I have not seen mention of Caller ID being a hack/feature. I know in the research I have done prior to finding your ISO, which I will be trying this weekend, I have seen elseed as a Caller ID choice. Do you plan on adding Caller ID, or has it already been done?