Thread: Wuss looking for monte'd image

Wuss looking for monte'd image

I'm trying to find the image that I've been told is floating about for doing the monte method the wuss way. I tried FTPing to ftp.twinbrothers.com but that doesn't seem to be there anymore. If anyone could help me with this I'd really apericate it.

Thanks
    Mike

I think the image you're looking for is the one that uses the BASH_ENV method per cobelli's guide and not the monte hack. Look in the monte sticky thread for the modified tutorial I put together for using the montestuff.zip file. It makes the monte hack a piece of cake when using these files. Get the montestuff.zip file from the twinbrothers ftp site. You'll also need a copy of johnnydeath's Linux boot CD. You can download it from cobelli's link referenced in his guide.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Actually Captain, I think he's looking for the ISO referenced in this thread.

It's not yet available to the public, but apparently will be soon.

I have asked for the ISO myself, so I can evaluate it along with the others.

I believe you're right. I saw that thread the other day but it slipped my mind. I've been working on an update to d7o's monte guide and I have posted a first draft of it in the monte thread. It basically tells you how to perform the monte hack using the montestuff.zip file available at the twinbrothers ftp site. I set it up to use version 3.1.0 of the S2 DTivo OS but there are reports that 3.1.1 is working fine with the monte hack. It's pretty straightforward and doesn't require a lot of steps to monte the drive. The tricky part is still typing in the bootpage command. Other than that, it's mostly a matter of copying the U5 filesystem and kernel to the unused boot partitions and then installing the readymade romfs image to the last paritiion with the monte program.

I got mine monte'd the first time I tried using the montestuff.zip files. I just got my other hacks up and running today, including ftp, Tivoweb, telnet, noppv, noscramble, fixsub, video extraction, and enabling it to work with an Hu card. I also installed mfs_ftp but I never got it working on my other DTivos due to a networking issue that I've yet to resolve. I had problems getting it up and running but it turned out to be a problem with the way some of the files came across to the DTivo when I transferred them. I used the network drivers included with cobelli's guide but for some reason they unzipped with underscores in the file names instead of dashes which totally threw me off until I discovered the problem.

I kept getting all kinds of errors when I attempted to run rc.sysinit.author until I discovered this little glitch. Once I fixed the file names everything came up the next time I booted. I did run into a problem when I attempted to set up the b2cron program. It kept cycling over and over again and I couldn't connect and get bash so I had to pull the drive and swap out the rc.sysinit.author file with a previous version to reestablish communication. It's always somethin!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video
    ...perform the monte hack using the montestuff.zip file available at the twinbrothers ftp site...
    The "ftp.twinbrothers.com" site is proudly denying anonymous ftp access. Can somebody please post the "montestuff.zip" file somewhere else?

try ftp

I can get in with no probs using my ftp program.

I just tried, says they are not allowing anonymous access. Any other source for this?

IIRC, the twinbrothers site does have a password. The first (or one of the first) message in the Official Image Begging Thread (a sticky) has a link that includes the user name/password. Works like a charm...

othy

Gracias,

I'll search for twinbrothers ftp and password and see what I can turn up.

Uploading to TivoStuff.com now.

D