Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tutorial for Performing Monte and Installing Hacks

Originally posted by captain_video
    1) Unix txt is not a standard format for technical writing.
    I don't care about the standard for "technical writing" or whatever useless job you perform. The standard format for hacking information is UNIX txt, period.

2) I omitted the details because they have been discussed ad infinitum in the monte thread and elsewhere.
    Funny, that didn't keep you from writing an entire guide about things that have been "discussed ad infinitum".

3) The "Why" aspect of the monte hack has already been done. To repeat it in the guide would make it even more redundant than it already is.
    Wrong. The "why" aspect of almost anything we do here is almost never addressed in any "guide". The "how" aspect is addressed in every single redundant guide, yours included.

I take no credit for anything in the guide.
    Then start crediting the correct people.

I've already received numerous PMs from individuals thanking me for posting it so your opinion is pretty much irrelevent about it being here or the format it's in.
    I don't care what your fanboys think. Wake me up when they have some clue what they are doing. (Thanks to the way you wrote your guide, they probably never will.)

6) NG does not build bombs that I am aware of, at least not in the division I work in. I write technical manuals primarily for airborne surveillance radar systems but I have worked in other technical areas as well. I write my guides on my own time. When and where I do it is actually none of your damn business anyway so why even mention it?
    Airborne surveillance radar systems? Sounds to me like you're wasting MY tax dollars on your crappy Tivo guides. If you are, STOP.

Originally posted by Sleeper
    Don't you think that it's about time to address the issue and state exactly which hacks you have developed or contributed to.
    1) None of your f---ing business. My hacks are private because I don't need a fan club to feel good about myself - unlike you.

2) Lose the personal attacks

3) I am here to contribute knowledge and help keep the boards clean, not to be a hero. If you don't like it, get lost.

Keep our eye on the ball

Maybe you guys can move this to a 'personal vendetta' thread, and we can get back to the topic of the thread.

I personally found capt video's guide helpful.

Originally posted by David Bought
    Fortunately that is not what happened here. Go deal with those people in another thread. This discussion is about content.
    Funny, considering your remark about his gay choice of colors and your demand that he adhere to YOUR standards.

Are you really as stupid as this paragraph makes you sound? Developers have much better things to do with their time than answer the same stupid n00b questions a hundred times over.
    If YOU were a developer, maybe that argument would have some merit. This perhaps explains why you have enough time to belittle and flame every n00b post.

The fact that this development forum is filled with repetitive, useless support requests should NOT be taken as a sign that there is nothing left to be done in the realm of S2 hacking. Far from it in fact.
    I agree!
    I certainly did not want to shortchange any REAL developers or the work they do here. There is certainly more development work to do. I was trying to come up with a rationale for why some psudeo developers here do nothing but critique the work of others. Since your not a developer, as evidenced by your failure to respond to repeated requests for what you have developed, you answered that for me:

Originally posted by David Bought Developers have much better things to do with their time.
    BTW: No where is it mentionend that this is strictly a development forum!
    I quote this forums topic:
    TiVo Series 2 Hacking.
    Information and hacking specific to S2 SA and S2 DirecTiVo units.
    Perhaps we need a seperate forum strictly for developers. However you would not be able to participate there since you are not a developer!

Re: Keep our eye on the ball

Originally posted by ryanjames91201
    Maybe you guys can move this to a 'personal vendetta' thread, and we can get back to the topic of the thread.
    Apparently that has already been tried in this thread:
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...threadid=27211

It looks like the nukes have already been launched. Captain, sorry for crapping in your thread but it's already too far gone.

I will give DB credit for the following. By no means is this a kiss and make up post.

1.) I find some of his posts and others' replies to be very humorous.

2.) He knows his stuff when it comes to tivo & computer tech.

3.) He is witty and makes a formidable opponent for a good argument/pissing match. It's not very challenging or fun to engage a nit witt.

4.) He sticks to his principals. I hate to admit that sometimes I agree with his principles, it's the delivery that I don't agree with. I am certain that in his mind he truly belives that he is doing what he deems is his responsibility and for reasons that he truly believes betters this community.
    Last edited by Sleeper; 11-08-2003 at 04:17 PM.

Originally posted by Tiros
    If YOU were a developer, maybe that argument would have some merit.
    My knowledge speaks for itself. I don't have to prove anything to you or your n00b friends.

Cut the personal attack bullshit or this thread gets closed. Reminder: the subject is Dave's new monte guide.

My knowledge speaks for itself. I don't have to prove anything to you or your n00b friends.

Cut the personal attack bullshit or this thread gets closed. Reminder: the subject is Dave's new monte guide.
    Not only are you not a developer you are not a MOD!
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ane#post121100
    Let's see you close this thread.
    BTW: -->THREAD CLOSED will not work!
    http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...sed#post111809

I hate deleting posts.

I will however close this thread if you all continue.

I have no problem with the conversation [sic], as long as it is titled properly so that folks looking for information pertaining to a "Tutorial for Performing Monte and Installing Hacks" aren't bludgeoned with all your collective nonsense.

If they click on a thread entitled, "David Bought and Captain_Video piss all over each other", then that is their perogative.

Start a thread that is appropriate for your "discussions", and it won't be censored provided you follow basic forum rules of etiquette.

Play nice.

DB comes across as monstrously hypocritical a lot of the time because the amount of complaining without offering true alternatives is so prevalent.

WRT debate, a lot of what goes on seems more like a rehash of Monty Python's "Argument Clinic". While it may, at time, appear funny, it's not debate and the intent is character attack. There is also a general "chilling" effect on development. It's no coincidence that many of the S1 hacks still aren't availabe on the S2 platform...

Technical writing is very different than engineering knowledge. Explaining concepts in such a way the reader should be able to quickly comprehend new information requires a very different set of skills. It's not easy to help the "obvious" become "obvious" very quickly for people who are new to an environment.

There IS value in foundational or historical information but that doesn't mean it is a requirement. How many people become automative engineers before they learn to drive? Same idea here.

The common response of "use the search function" isn't always such a good idea. To illustrate, there was once a reply to my questions about setting static IP which said I should include "IP" in the search terms. Nope, sorry, "IP" is 2 characters and the minimum search term is 3 characters.

It's obviously gotten to the point that good comprehensive how-to "quick guides" for the s2 would be quite helpful. Certainly, credit should be given where it is due, and where it can be openly expressed. Well, as "open" as discussion board aliasas are

I was quite pleased to see DB agrees that, "you will only see more stupid questions via PM if you neither explain each step nor provide references to important threads in which the step is discussed." This is something I'd discussed with a few other people with s1 backgrounds who are adding s2s. The hope was to create a guide to quickly getting the hacks done while including links to appropriate threads for those people looking for background information or troubleshooting.

Regarding "put up or shut up", yes, this type of thing has happened quite a bit, going back to the initial "bought and sold" posts. If DB truly knows this information, let's see him create an index of sorts to relavent topics and explanations. I did this for the S1s, it's not that tough. Let's see if DB actually knows these things.

WRT the captain's guide, I like it. It claims to be a "how to" not "why to" or "history of" document. In that regard, it's no different than Hinsdale's guide. So, Cap'n, buck up little camper. You've filled a great need. The dogs bark but the caravan rolls on.

Originally posted by FredThompson
    There IS value in foundational or historical information but that doesn't mean it is a requirement. How many people become automative engineers before they learn to drive? Same idea here.
    Wrong. Cars are mass market consumer products. Tivo hacks are not.

This discussion board does not exist for the benefit for anybody who has turned the hobby into a business, nor for anybody whose goal it is to create "mass market" hacks.

The common response of "use the search function" isn't always such a good idea. To illustrate, there was once a reply to my questions about setting static IP which said I should include "IP" in the search terms. Nope, sorry, "IP" is 2 characters and the minimum search term is 3 characters.
    Don't blame the search function for operator error.

I was quite pleased to see DB agrees that, "you will only see more stupid questions via PM if you neither explain each step nor provide references to important threads in which the step is discussed." This is something I'd discussed with a few other people with s1 backgrounds who are adding s2s. The hope was to create a guide to quickly getting the hacks done while including links to appropriate threads for those people looking for background information or troubleshooting.
    This is the absolute minimum that any "howto guide" should cover. To put out a guide that leaves out this crucial information is irresponsible.

Regarding "put up or shut up", yes, this type of thing has happened quite a bit, going back to the initial "bought and sold" posts. If DB truly knows this information, let's see him create an index of sorts to relavent topics and explanations. I did this for the S1s, it's not that tough. Let's see if DB actually knows these things.
    I have better things to do with my time. It seems obvious that you do not, so index everything as you read it and then post the results.

WRT the captain's guide, I like it. It claims to be a "how to" not "why to" or "history of" document. In that regard, it's no different than Hinsdale's guide. So, Cap'n, buck up little camper. You've filled a great need. The dogs bark but the caravan rolls on.
    Too bad the need has already been filled by at least two other documents.

I told the captain how he could amend the document so that it is actually more useful than the existing guides. If he chooses to let it rot in mediocrity, so be it.

Finally, a voice of reason and tranquility. Thanks for stepping in, JJ.

I just don't understand why some people have to piss all over the efforts of others when it's plainly obvious what the purpose of the guide was meant to be. It is a step-by-step how to for performing the monte hack using the montestuff.zip files. Nothing more and nothing less. If someone thinks it should contain detailed theory or Unix code or whatever then they are certainly free to develop their own guide. But to come here strictly for the sake of bashing someone else's efforts is non-productive and downright vindictive.

There is no hard and fast rule about how a guide should be developed for use in this forum so I should be free to develop a guide any way I see fit. I don't go into it haphazardly without getting the background info first, regardless of what DB thinks. I read and learned about the monte hack long before I tried it for the first time. I like to do my homework first to make sure I understand what's going on before I attempt to perform a hack and anyone with any common sense should be doing the same thing. I realize there are a number of people here that like to jump right in and expect a working hack without taking the time to prepare for it properly. I've got no sympathy for them but I will try and point them in the right direction so they don't make the same mistake twice.

While it may be really nice to know what's going on when you type in a Linux command, the fact is, many people just don't give a rat's ass. They just want the hack to work and could care less about the mechanics behind it. If they start whining because their hack didn't work then it's their own fault for not doing their homework or taking the time to learn. Believe me, I've had more than my share of PM's from newbies that have used the guide and gotten into trouble. I put it together so I don't mind providing the tech support. If I don't have the answer then I can at least show them where to look for it.

I have to agree with Sleeper's assessment of DB in his last post. I have no problem with the guy's ability or expertise, but his bedside manner sucks.

As far as DB being on my ignore list, his posts show up as follows:

This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]
    The post itself does not show up but a link to it does. I generally look at the posts out of curiousity to see what kind of venom DB is spouting in my threads. They are generally amusing but almost always critical and non-productive. My feeling is that if he doesn't like what I'm doing then he or anyone else is certainly welcome to try and do a better job. If he chooses to waste his time with childish retorts in this forum then that's his problem. I don't intend to make it mine. I've already been down that road and I don't intend to repeat my mistakes.

Hey DB! If you really want to see my guide become something other than a cobelli clone, why don't you edit the guide and include the detailed info you keep telling me that it lacks. You can have all the credit for it but you'd also better be prepared to get deluged with PMs to support it when the user screws up his monte hack.

Now, let's get this thread back on the original topic. If someone has any questions, constructive criticism, suggestions, or problems using the guide then post away. If you just want to come here and say that the guide should be something other than what it was intended to be then kindly take those opinions elsewhere.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Well, seeing as how everyone in this thread seems to be ignoring me.

Thread Closed

If you'd like to start another thread in the Chit Chat forum, feel free.

Captain_Video / David Bought:

I believe that you both got your last words IBTL. Captain_Video, if you'd like to restart a new thread for your guide, you may. David Bought, if you'd like to start a thread to discuss Captain_Video, his guide, his methodology or your participation in the hacking world, you may also do so.