Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

Alright, now that the cat is out of the bag, I'd like to start a thread in this forum with tips on running 4.0 on your S2 DTivos.

Yep, 4.0 can definitely be run on the DSR7000 and HDVR2s. Congratulations to Scotty79 for being enterprising enough to try what he did.

Anyhow, here's my tip #1: set up an IP filter on your home firewall (you do have one, right?) to prevent that box from making service calls. You don't want the home studio to know that you're running that software.

Tip #2: Now that you're blocking service calls, you'll start to get nag screens after 15 days, 30 days, etc. Where are those thresholds saved? In MFS of course. A few strategic MFS db commands can move those thresholds out of the way -- no more nag screens.

Tip #3: Even if the SA S2 image you've restored from has HMO enabled, you won't be able to get those keys to work on your box (unless you swap out the crypto chip). HMO keys are tied to your TCD number. However, all of the HMO functionality *is* in that 4.0 tivoapp, even on an S2 DTivo. It just needs to be unlocked.

Tip #4: Don't bother swapping out your crypto chip if you're determined to get HMO working on your S2 DTivo. The keys expire after a pre-set period (default is 30 days). So it would be a short-lived luxury.

Tip #5: It is definitely worthwhile to have backdoors enabled on 4.0. Why? For the Disk Usage screen. Unlike the screen for the S2 SA, the one for the S2 DTivo is very accurate. Don't bother going by the #hours column, though...go by the #GBytes instead. The #hours column does a lot of rounding. The #GBytes is great because most of your recordings will be at 1GB per hour.

And remember, you don't need bash access (or monte, etc) to change the backdoor password. You can do it by directly editing the disk partition containing the MFS database.

Tip #6: Speaking of monte, you won't need it to get the 4.0 image to boot correctly. It's a legitimate, signed release.

Of course, you'll need monte if you want bash access, tivoweb, etc. All very useful on 4.0 DTivos!

Tip #7: Anyone who gets Multi-Room Viewing to work on their S2 DTivos will find that they get a *better* transfer rate than the S2 SA transferring a Best Quality show. The MPEG stream is just compressed better on the DTivos. With 100 MBps NICs, you'll MRV transfer 30 minutes of a DTivo show in about 8 minutes (and of course you can start watching it on the receiving box after just a few seconds).

I'm not sure it's been talked about on any of the forums. But if someone were to look over the ResourceItems for tivoapp in MFS, you'll find values like 15,30,45, and 60. Those are the nag thresholds.

Originally posted by MuscleNerd
    I'm not sure it's been talked about on any of the forums. But if someone were to look over the ResourceItems for tivoapp in MFS, you'll find values like 15,30,45, and 60. Those are the nag thresholds.
    If 3.X for S2 units is any indication, I would venture to guess that the classic "fixsub" would work fine for resetting the nag. Either up the threshold to the max and run fixsub every X amount of days, or just install cron to run it regularly.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 11-05-2003 at 09:40 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

It may be that thresholds of "0" turn off the nags permanently. Someone should try it.

I was poking around the resource stuff, but didn't see anything offhand. but, i will keep looking.

So, the big question is if 4.0 includes the audio fix that is included in 3.1.1b? if not, does 4.0a? I have never really experienced this bug (or at least i never noticed it), so if someone knows how to make it occur, that would be helpful too
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Re: Which hacks

Originally posted by dogbreath
    For an HDVR2 with the S2SA os; which kernel is appropriate to use for the monte?

dogbreath
    since we know that sa units can run dtivo software and vice versa, we know that (as i figured for a while) you can use the 3.1.u5 kernel and minimal root file system to monte either a sa or a dtivo.

Originally posted by JackBlack
    So based on tips 3 & 4 HMO won't work. Tips 7 implies show sharing may not work.

So whats the advantage of running 4.0 on a DTivo series 2? Folders...., anything else?
    3 implies that hmo can be unlocked, but between 3 & 4 it is clear that the functionality is not going to be unlocked by tivo. most likely it would be in the form of numerous patches to tivoapp.

7 does not imply show sharing won't work. however, if you want show sharing to work, you will either have to replace the cryptographic certificates with ones you produce so you can 'register' your tivos with each other, or attempt to bypass that stuff all together.

i haven't done any of the patches indicated above, so don't ask.

Originally posted by mrblack51
    So, the big question is if 4.0 includes the audio fix that is included in 3.1.1b?
    Nope
    If not, does 4.0a?
    That, I don't know. To me personally, the TV Guide branding in 4.0.1 would be more intolerable than occasional dropouts.
    Last edited by MuscleNerd; 11-28-2003 at 02:17 AM.

Originally posted by JackBlack
    whats the advantage of running 4.0 on a DTivo series 2? Folders...., anything else?
    For me, folders is a big one. Not only does it cut down on the clutter, but it also substantially reduces the time it takes to display the Now Showing list.

Also big with me are the Free Space Indicator backdoor and the ability to jump to the beginning of the *live buffer* (as opposed to completed recordings, where that is already possible).