Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

The first tip should be

Don't try to put 4.0 on a RID S2 unit.
    Livingroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Bedroom S2 DTivo Hughes SD-DVR40 120GB 6.2a-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...
    Basement File Server S2 DTivo Hughs SD-DVR40 160GB 6.2-01-2-351 killhdinitrd, networked, extraction, TivoWebPlus,...

Quote Originally Posted by HanzaPlastiQue
    I tried to figure out why 4.x won't run a RID unit (since I have one of those units ).

Could someone briefly explain why it won't run?

(my apologies if this is a "stupid" question)
    Well, it's a newbie question, which isn't the same thing.

Briefly, the RID units use different A/V hardware than the other Series 2 systems. 3.1.1x software has the drivers to support that hardware. 4.x is OLDER than 3.1.1x and does not have the drivers.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by HanzaPlastiQue
    Thankx PlainBill,

OK that makes sense
    However; wouldn't copying the appropriate 3.x lib file (*.o) fix this issue?
    Or am I way to optimistic asuming this might work?
    Well, I'm going past the limits of my knowledge here, but here is what I understand. The drivers are compiled as an addition to the kernel. They will not work with another version of the kernel. With the 3.1.1c and 4.x source codes, it would be possible to create a version of the software that would give you folders on RID units.

Now the problems: AFIK, TiVo has not made the source code public. With the source code, it is a major task to recompile the software WITHOUT any revisions. Once you have that working, you can modify the source code, and eventually get the features you want. This usually involves a few attempts and a lot of testing before you have something stable (Folders don't do you a lot of good if the system crashes every couple of days). Without the source code, it becomes a major effort.

I am sure there are several people here who have the ability to do this. (No, I'm not one of them). However, most (if not all) of them work for a living, and have a limited amount of free time. Given the legal issues involved, the desire to spend time with their family, and MANY projects they would like to work on, it's unlikely anyone will take this project on.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

1) those are not 4.0 tips, those are questions - WRONG THREAD

2) those are insert related questions - see one of the mfs_ftp threads

3) OLD news - please read before posting

4) there's been some work on that, search should turn it up
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Lockups using usbfortivo4.zip drivers and HMO/MRV

It looks like multiple people are having problems with these drivers.
    See this link MRV lockups
    Everything else works like a champ and the problem only manifest's itself if you are going MRV from a USB2.0 machine to a USB2.0 machine. As long as one of the machines is throttled to 1.1 speeds it works like a champ.

Musclenerd said he was not having problems but he also said he was not using these drivers.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by clkman
    I see that my post is gone. What about my other questions
    this a tips thread, not a questions thread

Quote Originally Posted by clkman
    What is the best way to do this? (stream video between the 2, with or without 4.0 )"
    READ the tips & sticky threads

DON'T clutter tips/ref threads and annoy the mods by posting questions in the wrong place

post questions in noob or support threads AFTER reading them to verify it hasn't allready been asked & answered

Might be a dumb question, but could one just rename ehci-hcd.o instead of the hex edit?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    fr3d:

i did not try ln -s for the modules. it may work, but being a hacker, i like my idea better. you can't load ehci-hcd yourself unless you unload the ohci driver first; why load it in the first place? also, you don't need hcd.o with this stack.

the unresolved symbols are almost certainly because you're trying to use the usbcore.o that came with the 4.0 release. as i said (plainly), you can't do that. you must use the usbcore from nobody's package.

ronny
    Dave
    -----------------------------
    Life's a reach, then you gybe
    Hacks -SA 2 PROM, telnet, ftpd, tivoweb, tserver, mfs_ftp, & extraction
    SA2.5 PROM - telnet, ftpd, tserver (waiting for a tivoapp patch)

4.0.1b guide patch

May be found here.
    There's no place like ~/