Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

Tip #8: In their infinite wisdom, AVS has now started removing 4.0-on-DTivo threads. But despite their excuses for doing so, be advised that 4.0 is rock solid on the DTivo. Don't let the FUD over there rattle you.

Originally posted by jeffml
    It looks like the 4.0 image doesn't seem to like the new SD-DVR40. Goes from "Powering up..." to a flash of green and a blank screen.

Could the 4.0 SA version have a list of compatible units (DTivo and SA) and because the DVR40 is new and not listed it won't work?

I'm also using the 40G version and restoring and expanding to an 80G which I don't think should make a difference... The partitions are there just the problem of not getting past the first part. I guess I can try the other 4.0 versions and see where that gets me.

If anyone has had luck with 4.0 on SD-DVR40, please give me hope. :-)

Also, thank you MuscleNerd for the nice thread.
    does the SD-DVR40 have an RID on the back? if so, thats probably why the image won't work.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Re: 4.0 with DVR service

Originally posted by tommy78
    How do you activate the DVR service without letting the tivo call in at least once? Is there an image available somewhere that already has the initial call?
    fixsub deals with the tivo dial in, you access card deals with the dvr service itself.

Questions for MuscleNerd

Tip #4: Don't bother swapping out your crypto chip if you're determined to get HMO working on your S2 DTivo. The keys expire after a pre-set period (default is 30 days). So it would be a short-lived luxury.

I thought it was possible to clone 2 tivos using the crypto command?

Tip #7: Anyone who gets Multi-Room Viewing to work on their S2 DTivos will find that they get a *better* transfer rate than the S2 SA transferring a Best Quality show. The MPEG stream is just compressed better on the DTivos. With 100 MBps NICs, you'll MRV transfer 30 minutes of a DTivo show in about 8 minutes (and of course you can start watching it on the receiving box after just a few seconds).

MuscleNerd, have you been able to make Muli-Room Viewing work?

Originally posted by hpmailman
    I thought it was possible to clone 2 tivos using the crypto command?
    Nope, not truly. The private side of your boxes El Gamal key is forever locked into the chip. Other things like your serial number can still be set, but not that El Gamal key.
    MuscleNerd, have you been able to make Muli-Room Viewing work?
    I've gotten the normal SA MRV to transfer streams recorded on DTivo (and moved to one of the SA's by hand), to see what kind of transfer rate is possible.

Are you saying the people how purchase the HMO are required to dial-in monthly in order to keep HMO from expiring?
    Yep. And when I mentioned that on AVS, TiVo acknowledged it. They said outright that part of the reason is to prevent ex-customers from keeping HMO features.

Of course, HMO is only officially released for the SA's, and they must dial-in anyway to get their guide data.

Is there a way to use my T60 reomte to control a HDVR2 running 4.0?
    It's likely that the soft switch is still available, but if so it's at a different offset. Trail and error may yield something (i.e. try changing the 3, 4, and/or 7).

Originally posted by MuscleNerd
    It's likely that the soft switch is still available, but if so it's at a different offset. Trail and error may yield something (i.e. try changing the 3, 4, and/or 7).
    actually, based on my experience with this stuff, i would bet you need to change the 29 to something else. the 29 specefies which resource group contains the settings. afaik, on all tivos, the resource group in question is laid out the same. however, the number of the resource group that you need to mess with changes between versions. musclenerd - please correct me if im wrong on this

The remote code stuff isn't affected by that script anymore. I just installed 4.0 today and I haven't gotten around to fixing the remote yet. As soon as I find it, I will post it.

Anyone had any luck disabling scrambling on a 4.0 DTiVo? I have patched tivoapp and the kernel, but everytime I try to record something it gives an error Message #86.

Originally posted by Juppers
    The remote code stuff isn't affected by that script anymore. I just installed 4.0 today and I haven't gotten around to fixing the remote yet. As soon as I find it, I will post it.

Anyone had any luck disabling scrambling on a 4.0 DTiVo? I have patched tivoapp and the kernel, but everytime I try to record something it gives an error Message #86.
    I assume with your experience you've noticed the different kmem kernel patch addresses for the 4.0 patches vs the 3.XX ones.

Message#86, in my opinion, means I've corrupted my mfs database - I've rebuilt 2 machines for it.

I'm betting that the tivoapp patch address and the kmem address (you did say kernel patch though) is the same for the DTivos running 4.0 and the SA S2s since it's related to the software anyway..

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-28-2003 at 04:46 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Yeah. I did all the patches based on the 4.0 SA stuff. Patched tivoapp at 7e4448 from 03 20 F8 09 to 24 02 00 01, and did the kernel patch instead of kmem. I guess I will try a mfs_assert then and see if that finds anything.

Maybe it is just me but, I can't get fixsub.tcl to work with 4.0, has anyone had any luck with a fake call?

Yeah. I did all the patches based on the 4.0 SA stuff. Patched tivoapp at 7e4448 from 03 20 F8 09 to 24 02 00 01, and did the kernel patch instead of kmem. I guess I will try a mfs_assert then and see if that finds anything.
    Not sure whre you got it but mine (just did a Hex compare) shows...

03 20 F8 09 to 24 02 F8 09

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

And it works? The patch that Musclenerd posted was a 4 byte patch. There were people that posted that only 2 bytes got applied by his printf command. I guess I will try the 2 byte patch and see if that works.

And it works? The patch that Musclenerd posted was a 4 byte patch. There were people that posted that only 2 bytes got applied by his printf command. I guess I will try the 2 byte patch and see if that works.
    Worked fine when I was on 4.0, let me know how it goes.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1