Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

Re: HDVR2 and Tivoapp -nkinfo

Originally posted by mavrcksd
    TivoWeb is the last to patch for me right now.
    Did you mean tivoapp?

I have done the printf to a copied version of the tivoapp, and then copied it back, did a chmod on it, and issued a reboot.
    Patching via telnet works!. Don't pull your drive yet. I'm going through the same steps with mr_dickles in another thread but I don't want to mix your two problems. He has 4.01 and you have 4.0 - the patch locations are different. I'll say it again the patch locations are different. Also, you may have noticed that the kmem address is different from 3.x to 4.x (which makes sense.)

Here's the short version of what we're going to do.
    1. Copy the tivoapp file to a new name for archiving - tivoapp.scrambled
    2. Copy the tivoapp file to a new name for patching - tivoapp.unscrambled
    2. Patch the copied/renamed file - tivoapp.unscrambled
    3. Delete the original tivoapp (it's running from memory now.)
    4. Copy the copied/renamed/patched file (tivoapp.unscrambled to the name tivoapp)
    5. Make the copied/renamed/patched file (tivoapp) executable, although it probably still is
    6. Reboot

And here's how to do it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Telnet into your tivo, change to /tvbin
    back up your current tivoapp then make a copy to edit with:

cd /tvbin
    cp tivoapp tivoapp.scrambled
    cp tivoapp tivoapp.unscrambled

You'll now have 3 tivoapp-related files.

tivoapp
    tivoapp.scrambled (that's the original one)
    tivoapp.unsrambled (that's the one we're about to patch)

Then run the following printf command with no preceding or trailing quotes, as in, type this exactly:

If you're using 4.0 then...

printf "\x24\x02\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.unscrambled bs=1 seek=8275016

If you're using 4.01 then...

printf "\x24\x02\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.unscrambled bs=1 seek=08300072

then:

rm tivoapp
    cp tivoapp.unscrambled tivoapp
    chmod 755 /tvbin/tivoapp

This deletes the original file named tivoapp (you have a backup called tivoapp.scrambled) then copies your patched tivoapp.unscrambled file to the original name.

You'll now have 3 tivoapp-related files.

tivoapp (your unscrambled/patched one)
    tivoapp.scrambled (that's the original scrambled one)
    tivoapp.unsrambled (that's the one we've just patched)

Now just reboot to begin watching unscrambled video.
    reboot or you may also type restart

This WILL work and allow you to do it via telnet while the tivo is cranked up.

Alternatively, you can fire up your hex editor and go to 8275016 for 4.0, or 08300072 for 4.01 and change the 0320 to 2402

immediately when the recording was done the tivo would reboot. If I tried to play the recording when it was rebooted, it would immediately reboot at that time as well.
    This isn't normal at all and probably means your tivoapp is patched wrong. What EXACT command did you enter?

So right now, my HDVR is running the 4.0 software, with only the kmem patch. I can't watch anything that has been recorded
    I wouldn't go through the 'streaming' hassle, I'd just comment out the kmem command in rc.sysinit.author with #kmem...

Anyways, I guess I'll await the next version of the sleeper scripts that will patch the tivoapp automatically.
    No need to wait on anyone. Roll up your sleeves, I'll help, you'll learn, we'll both have a little fun, and the forum will be better for it.

Also, the default for the mfs_ftp.tcl is 3105.
    True. It seems that Sleeper has gotten an edited version of mfs_ftp.tcl, the only authorized default port is 3105 (there's info on the edited version in the mfs_ftp for Series 2 thread)

I edited the rc.sysinit.author to not run tivoweb (since it's not patched), and also mfs_ftp or tivoftpd.
    Duh, I guess you already know how to comment stuff out - if you comment out kmem and run a non-patched tivoapp you'll be able to record and watch SCRAMBLED (as tivo intended) video.

And well, if there is someone out there that is using a successfully patched tivoapp that would like to send me theirs, i would appreciate it.
    Before I decided to post this I ALMOST sent you my tivoapp. But that won't help you learn anything and would cheat the forum and all the new folks coming into tivo hacking the benefit of watching us figure it out. Stay with me here and we'll get it.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-28-2003 at 05:01 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Thanks NutKase

Well: If you wander over to Sleeper's ISO thread, I posted what I did this morning.

My frustration level was high, and I decided to put it to bed one last time.

I left the kmem uncommented, and didn't touch anything with it's values, they were working for me with the 4.0

The values that sleeper puts in are:
    kmem 800bf958 00001021

And I did the printf "\x24\x02\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp.unscrambled bs=1 seek=8275016 and then did a mv of the tivoapp.unscrambled to tivoapp
    chmod 755 and restart

Things are now recording, and I can play them / extract unscrambled. WHEW.

Again, i'll have to change to koolaid for my hacking beverage of choice instead of 2 buck chuck!!

Have a good day !

MAV

Ok... What about Mounting NFS?

What would I need to get the error "mount: fs type nfs not supported by kernel" message to go away when I'm trying to mount to my linux rh9 machine?

Anyone been down this road yet?

Thanks

What would I need to get the error "mount: fs type nfs not supported by kernel" message to go away when I'm trying to mount to my linux rh9 machine?
    You will have to recompile the kernal, with support for the Mac
    file system and Mac partitions enabled.

Also need to apply a patch to mac.c (before recompiling the kernal)

The patch was on this board several months ago. (search for mac.c). If you can't find it let me know and I will post it when
    I get home tonight.

Originally posted by Vegas
    You will have to recompile the kernal, with support for the Mac
    I don't think you understand his question. Your response relates to mounting a tivo 'drive' while it's installed in a pc running linux.

mavrcksd are you trying to mount your tivo drive as an nfs share under Redhat 9?

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

Negative

Negative on both assumptions.

What I want to do is be able to have the drive in the tivo, and mount to my linux RH9 machine.

I have been able to do this with my SA1 boxes, with the insmod command "insmod -f nfs.o"

Wondering if there is such for the 4.0 that I have on my Dtivo

MAV

Yep, the modules that you need to insmod for NFS support on 4.0 are floating around in various places.

So has anyone gotten the insert functionality to work on 4.X? I know Nutkase has been trying...unfortunately I can't migrate to 4.0 this until I am able to transfer all my shows.

28 I want those folders!!

Sorry to change the subject on you, but this seemed to be the best place for this post

Are you guys hooked up through your Ethernet?

I monted in with the standard method and get bash with my serial cable, but cant the Ethernet working. Is there something special I need to do for an Ethernet connection when running 4.0 on my hdvr2? I had it working fine with 3.1.1b. I have done a lot reading but itís not clear to me if I should even expect this to work.
    HR10-250 250m,3.1.5f,eth,ftpd,tivowebplus,fakecall,endpadplus

message#86

Originally posted by tiivohoe
    Juppers, Could you (or anyone else)tell me how to do this? I f_ed up and tried to insert. Thanks
    I've screwed up 2 tivos twice each inserting. I had to rebuild 3 times but rebooting solved one of them.

I assume by fscked up you mean that It won't record, To Do list says "none available", You can't edit you Season Passes, You get message#86 and error #4's?

If so, first try every way you can to delete the recording via tivo, tivoweb etc. If you don't see the recording you tried to insert continue:

Here are the steps I'd follow in order of pain.

1. Rebooting

[EDIT]See my post below for removing bad inserts if rebooting doesn't work (and thank Juppers.)

2. Clear Program and To Do list
    3. Clear and Delete Everything (You'll lose all your recordings)
    4. Pull and rebuild the drive
    5. Don't insert with anything prior to mfs_ftp version .i

NutKase

PS. I hope it's just a reboot. Also, can you retitle your message to help searchers? It's message#86 not error.
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-03-2003 at 03:50 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

message #86

I assume by fscked up you mean that It won't record, To Do list says "none available", You can't edit you Season Passes, You get message#86

Yes this is where I'm at.

Rebooting didnt help.

Juppers said
    I pulled that partial from the DB
    I take it DB is database. The recording I tried to insert does not show up in in mfs_ftp, I cant get in with tivoweb and the recording doesnt show up on the tivo. I thought maybe there was another way to get at it.

I'm trying this on a second hard drive so I' m not DITW.

So its safe to insert with version i ?
    Last edited by tiivohoe; 11-30-2003 at 04:10 PM.

Yes this is where I'm at.

Rebooting didnt help.
    I tried everything and couldn't figure out how to delete it. As you can read Jupper's never said how he did it. I did the steps above in order.

One thing I'd try. Update to the newest version of mfs_ftp. When I try to insert now (still failing) I can at least see the partial in Now Showing (although I can't delete them from there) then when I reboot they'll disappear and no mfs corruption occurs.

Good Luck.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

I'll give that a try.
    Right I have my other dive in. Gotta watch the Skins game.
    Hey how do you get the Originally posted by in your quote?

Hey how do you get the Originally posted by in your quote?
    Hit 'quote' and not reply. You don't have to cut and paste.

Just don't do like the newbies and 'quote' a whole page that doesn't apply or can be read above.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Using tivosh to remove bad inserts -nkinfo

Originally posted by Juppers
    I'd have to pop in my 4.0 drive to be sure, but what I think I did to remove the partial was find it's fsid via tivoweb looking in the /Recording/Active branch. Then I went to a tivosh shell and did a RubbishObjectByFsId on it. I believe that is what I did, but can't be sure until I pop in the drive again.
    Try this before my step 2.

I didn't have this information and wasn't aware of the mfs commands. You can find the fsid of the recordings by

TivoWeb|MFS|Database|

You'll see 2 Orphans for every time (clock time) you tried to insert.

1. Start Telnet

2. Type

tivosh

You'll get the % prompt

3. Type

RubbishObjectByFsId12345

(12345=the OrphanFsId you're trying to delete, the smiley is a mandatory space and CaPs matter.)

Be careful what you type. If you mess a command up just hit enter anyway and you'll get a new line. You can't <up-arrow> or <backspace> without getting crap characters. Just hit enter.

DON'T use <CTRL-C> to quit tivosh. Tivosh doesn't like to be killed by <CTRL-C>, or killed while a database handle
    is open, it'll reboot your tivo.

I rebooted my tivo in about 5 seconds. Use <CTRL-D> or just click the shutdown X in the upper right corner and start a new telnet session as required.

Refresh your database browser page and you'll see the recording gone. Do this for all the Orphans you tried to insert. I haven't tried to remove the 'Live' Orphans and don't know if I will.

Let us know if you're able to get rid of message#86 with this.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-24-2003 at 02:05 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1