Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for 4.0 on your S2 DTivo

Re: Has anyone successfully kept recordings when switching to 4.0?

Originally posted by BTUx9
    If someone made an mfstools backup of a system awaiting restart to upgrade, might you be able to copy the OS partitions only, and, even without monte, have it upgrade to 4.0 and keep recordings.
    Nope.

An important part of an official upgrade from TiVo is the processing of a special swsystem "slice". That slice contains all the new or changed attributes being used by the new software. Without processing that slice (or recreating what it does with a hack), there's no way to upgrade the MFS database itself.

So if you really want to preserve recordings across an upgrade, get your hands on those upgrade slice files. That's not impossible to do. You can take a standalone box being officially upgraded, let it make a service call to receive the upgrade slices, and copy the slices from /var/packages after they've been downloaded but before they're automatically removed.
    Last edited by MuscleNerd; 12-01-2003 at 03:37 PM.

Re: Using tivosh to remove bad inserts -nkinfo

Originally posted by NutKase
    DON'T use <CTRL-C> to quit tivosh. Tivosh doesn't like to be killed by <CTRL-C>, or killed while a database handle
    is open, it'll reboot your tivo.
    tivosh does, however, like to be asked nicely to go away by <CTRL-D>.

--
    dah31

Thumbs down Re: Using tivosh to remove bad inserts -nkinfo

Try this before my step 2.

Let us know if you're able to get rid of message#86 with this.

NutKase
    Well this didnt work for me.
    I'm going straight to... 4. Pull and rebuild the drive.

The -hour long- waits to "clear and delete" are more painful to me. With sleeper's iso it's almost painless, plus I have no recordings I'm trying to save.
    HR10-250 250m,3.1.5f,eth,ftpd,tivowebplus,fakecall,endpadplus

Re: Re: Using tivosh to remove bad inserts -nkinfo

Originally posted by tiivohoe
    Well this didnt work for me.
    I'm going straight to... 4. Pull and rebuild the drive.

The -hour long- waits to "clear and delete" are more painful to me. With sleeper's iso it's almost painless, plus I have no recordings I'm trying to save.
    Crap! I was hoping you'd confirm this was possible and worked.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

It does work, cause I did it.

Originally posted by Juppers
    I didnt say "it doesnt" work.
    I said it "didnt work for me".
    Also have I reconsidered and will try the clear and deletes, to help in the learning, if for no other reason. I thought I would try the "51killer" if I do have to remonte, Is this likly to work? If not it would have to cook for an hour anyway.
    Last edited by tiivohoe; 12-02-2003 at 06:30 AM.

Originally posted by Juppers
    I know it works. I did it too, I was just talking about for him.

tiivohoe,

What happened when you tried it? What feedback did you get? Were you able to delete recordings? Did you find them with tivoweb?

I think you should stick with deleting the recordings and figure out how to do that.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

I know it works. I did it too, I was just talking about for him.

tiivohoe,

What happened when you tried it? What feedback did you get? Were you able to delete recordings? Did you find them with tivoweb?

I think you should stick with deleting the recordings and figure out how to do that.

NutKase
    I did find and delete them in tivoweb, no problem. There were 10 or 12 of them. I dont remember how many I tried to insert. On refresh in tivoweb they were gone. Now on reboot, still cant record, same message #86 and four new orphands showed up, deleted them and after reboot four more with new numbers. Still no record!
    Maybe the clear and delete (step 2 or 3 )will help, but i cant try that until tonight. I'll report back
    Last edited by tiivohoe; 12-02-2003 at 11:25 AM.

Thumbs up Message #86 no more!

The "Clear Program and To Do list" didnt help, but "Clear and delete Everything" did.
    Now, it should be safe to insert with ver 1.1.2.9i ?? How about the buffer hack?

Re: Message #86 no more!

Originally posted by tiivohoe
    The "Clear Program and To Do list" didnt help, but "Clear and delete Everything" did.
    Now, it should be safe to insert with ver 1.1.2.9i ?? How about the buffer hack?
    Safe maybe, but I haven't gotten it to work yet. It shouldn't corrupt your database this time though. You may get 'zombie' entries that you can 'reboot' away.

I'm using .L and still no luck inserting. Can you email me your mips mfs_stdinsert binary and tell me where you got it please.

I posted a request for binaries to test. I'm trying to find a good one. Thanks.

Buffer hack?

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 12-04-2003 at 12:26 PM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

FixsubXX

If 3.X for S2 units is any indication, I would venture to guess that the classic "fixsub" would work fine for resetting the nag.
    Maybe it is just me but, I can't get fixsub.tcl to work with 4.0, has anyone had any luck with a fake call? My hdvr2 with 4.0 reports next scheduled call September 25 but it is November 14 today?
    I've noticed the same thing that my dates are incorrect after running fixsub31.tcl, it does indicated last call "succeeded". But since the next call date has passed the unit tries to make a call and then the last call indicates "Failed ..."Its been doing this every day. I'm not sure if after 15 or 30 days we would start getting nag messages?

I decided to take a look at fixsub. Since Tivo changed a couple of the variables when the software upgraded from 2.X to 3.X I assumed some changes occurred with 4.X and the additions in the network section. If you take a look at the MFS database with tivoweb or dumpobj /State/PhoneConfig you will see that a couple of the variables did change. But so did the way tivo is using some of them. I added the new variables to a file I called FakeCall40.tcl and the dates are OK but the time seems off by more than just the time zone I think. I can get the next call date to be 7 days from now and everything works, with the time close to where it is suppose to be so the tivo doesn't try to call out and fail every day.

With the 3.X software the variables just used the normal UNIX time in seconds and the tivo correctly displayed the date and time. But with 4.X just putting in the UNIX time, the dates and time is way off.

I updated the time field new file
    Last edited by rpl; 12-13-2003 at 07:04 PM.

Re: Re: Message #86 no more!

Safe maybe, but I havnen't gotten it to work yet. It shouldn't corrupt your database this time though. You may get 'zombie' entries that you can 'reboot' away.
    I'm running mfs_ftp 1.2.5.1, with the $version == 3 check modified to $version >= 3 so that it properly creates the RecordingBehavior object. The inserted files play and I no longer get error #86. I don't understand why so many people are having trouble with this; maybe incompatibilities were introduced in the newer mfs_ftp versions?

BTW the code I used to "repair" an object inserted with a non-V4 aware mfs_ftp was:

Code:
    set db [dbopen]
    set fsid INSERT_YOUR_SHOWING_FSID
    transaction {
    set o [db $db openid $fsid]
    set j [db $db createsub RecordingBehavior $o]
    dbobj $j set DiskBehavior 5
    dbobj $j set PresentationBehavior 1
    dbobj $j set ProgramGuideBehavior 1
    dbobj $j set TunerBehavior 3
    dbobj $o set RecordingBehavior $j
    }
    I consider this method preferable to blowing away a perfectly good insertion. It might be helpful to write a simple script that iterates over all (??) objects in /Recording/Active, and fills in the RecordingBehavior attribute if it is missing.

If you could attach source code and binaries, it would really help those of us who can't find the right version.

Originally posted by BTUx9
    If you could attach source code and binaries, it would really help those of us who can't find the right version.
    Here is the codebase I am using for tserver, mfs_*, NowShowing.tcl, etc. Everything in there that I've tested seems to work fine with 4.0.

just for those who are wondering, i have sucessfully re-inserted a show that was extracted from my 4.0 hdvr2 box, deleted off the tivo, and then was able to play it after re-insertion.

I compiled the mfs utils using the tree that alldeadhomiez posted. the only real issue to remember is that mfs_import is the same as mfs_stdinsert, so you need to rename mfs_import accordingly when you put it on the tivo. other than that, i just used the most current mfs_ftp (m i think) as is, replacing the binaries with the ones i compiled, plus the setpri that ADH posted before.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids