Thread: Obtaining UTV HDD Password

Obtaining UTV HDD Password

I am sure someone who is smarter then me has thought of this and tried it already but I am going to give it a shot.

Large runon sentence.

If a person was to prepare to swap out their HDD of their UTV and took a read from a new or at least unlocked drives firmware and then installed the drive in the UTV so it would set the PW on the drive and then did the cable pull trick and did another read from the freshly installed UTV locked drives firmware and compared the two wouldn't it be a good chance that the PW would be obtainable?

I know a data analyzer or some other method would be much easier and possibly more foolproof but not many of us have those types of resources available. I would like to figure out what the passwords are and I am just brainstorming trying to figure out the best method one might be able to use to accomplish that goal.

If you have comments, questions, critisism please drop it in here. It is the best way for me to learn, by listening to others after taking a stab at something myself and F*in it all up ;p

I may be wrong but I think it is similar to the xbox. The password is not stored anywhere but generated everytime from different things in the hardware confirguration.

from what I have read so far you can't get it...but with the hot swap method..ya don't need it. :cheers:
    Last edited by `3D; 11-09-2003 at 07:10 PM.

The thing is if we are all satisfied with "it can't be done" then it will never be done.

I am a little confused about the idea that it is based off the hardware in the system like the xbox as the xbox uses the same pw no matter what HDD is in it. The password for it is in an eeprom on the xbox mainboard. I am familiar with that eeprom but am not sure how the UTV password is generated or stored.

I just don't want to be satisfied with "it can't be done" as it has been figured out before and all UTVs use the same master password which is a known fact.

1) you don't generally read firmware from a drive - possible but unrelated to hot swapping so locked / unlocked makes no difference (the pw isn't necesarily stored in the flashable firmware anyway)

2) folks with ide bus analyzers have posted utv master passwords (it's also been extracted from western digital 40's with really lousy security). good luck with google, the dtv hacking sites where the pw is usually posted come & go

3) the xbox does NOT use the same password for every drive. maybe with a modchip, but the factory bios generates the password based on drive specific info (yes it's cached in the eeprom but if the drive is changed the bios recalculates & updates the eeprom)
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer