Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDVR2 and ethernet call in

HDVR2 and ethernet call in

After spending days, reading, posting and more searching, I can't find a definite answer to my original question which is in other post. Is it possible (right now) that I can use the wireless ethernet along with the Wireless broadband router to call tivo without a land line? This is the call that S1 & S2 people use ,#401. I never get a straight answer from someone who actually has a HDVR2 (pay subscriber to Directv). If it is possible, will someone kind enough show me how it is done?

I already have bash, wireless ethernet and Monte going. Thanks.

I'm wondering why you want your hacked DTivo to dial in at all. If it's hacked, which it must be if you have ethernet capability, then you run the risk of losing your hacks from an unwanted software update. The only valid reason for having a phone connected would be to offload PPV data for billing purposes. You can circumvent this by ordering your PPVs via the DTV website so your account gets billed directly.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

As I recall, the ,#401 thing was disabled in the DirecTivos at DirecTV's request. I think it's possible to do what you're trying, but you'll have to hack the script that your TiVo uses for calling in. You might want to look around for the original instructions for using TivoNet, back before the TiVo software has built in support for ethernet.

Thanks captian_video for the reply. You are right, I don't want the system upgrade to ruin my hack but hopefully by putting in the fisxub and callingfix hack will stop that. As for why I want to call in, I guess I am confuse by all the things I read:

1. I thought I need to call in tivo (not Directv) to get data updated (not software I think) which is some people tell me yes and some tell me no.
    2. I want to stop the nagging message I get nearly every day now (hoping the above hack will stop that).
    3. I don't want to drag a phone line across the room or buy a wireless phone jack.
    4. I have 2 HDVR2 which some people tell me I need to call to mirror the image from one to another (I don't think that is quite true).
    5. Just curious because some people reply to me it can be done but never tell me how in detail and the one who did, either they have a S1/S2 or they are using turbonet or airnet which doesn't apply to me.

I would like to learn but it is getting to be very confusing and frustrating. I am a paying customer for Directv for both HDVR2, with the hack I already have, I would like to stop the nagging message and get all the data updated (just the guide not the software). After that, I think I will start learning how to do the ms-ftp but as always, the information is not quite clear on HDVR2 unit.
    Thanks.

,#401 works fine on my HDVR2, with a wired Ethernet connection. I don't see why wireless would be any different, if you got it set up. Backdoors must be enabled, and of course you need a default route in place.

Originally posted by TheWickedPriest
    ,#401 works fine on my HDVR2, with a wired Ethernet connection.
    Hmm.. well I guess I'm mistaken.

Thanks for all the reply, especially TheWickedPriest. You give me hope that it still could be done but is it possible to give me a bit more detail about enabling backdoor and default route in place? This is what I have in my rc.sysinit.author and I try two different route which doesn't seem to make a different:

#Load ethernet drivers (wireless)
    insmod /etc/modules/usbcore.o
    insmod /etc/modules/usb-ohci.o
    insmod /etc/modules/usbdfu.o
    insmod /etc/modules/at76c503.o
    insmod /etc/modules/at76c503-rfmd.o
    sleep 15
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.111 broadcast 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev wlan0
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1 wlan0

#route add default gw 192.168.0.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1

What else am I missing? I have a wireless router in place which is hook up to a DSL modem. Please give me some direction. Thanks.

Doesn't TiVo need to use device eth0?
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

I was told it can be done with wlan0 (wireless ethernet), unfortunately, the person who response didn't tell me exactly what he has on his code. I have tivoftpd, tivoweb and bash through the wireless setup. If I have to use a eth0 (wire ethernet, correct me if I am wrong about this command) then I might as well hookup up a phone line to it. However, if you are saying I should do this:

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.111 broadcast 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1 eth0

I am willing to give a shot at this point. Thanks.

Your broadcast address is wrong. There really is no need to set this on the command line, all you need is the correct netmask. In your case the broadcast address should be 192.168.0.255.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!! Finally, something I can actually use and work on!!!!! In other word, I can remove those lines:

and change this to:

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.111 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

and it should work? That is the first thing I will when I go home later. Thanks again!!

Originally posted by tim2009
    Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!! Finally, something I can actually use and work on!!!!! In other word, I can remove those lines:

and change this to:

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.0.111 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0

and it should work? That is the first thing I will when I go home later. Thanks again!!
    You need route information if you want to get out past your own internal network. I don't know about the new hardware, but the older Tivo and Turbonet's required you use eth0 to automatically connect to the mothership as SR712 said. If someone is currently using wireless and an HDVR2, they should be able to answer that question. Otherwise, you'd have to hack the driver to change the name, unless it lets you change it on the command line. I have no idea if that's possible.

It is a nice try but it didn't work. I know there are people out there with wireless and HDVR2 who reply that they did it but they don't like to share how it is done. Which driver I need to change? At this point, I am willing to try anything. Thanks.

It does not make much sense that eth0 is required. I would guess that the DTivo just tries to phone home to it's domain or ip and how it gets there is probably not of much concern.

This is really a moot point as previously mentioned. There is no reason for you Dtivo to phone home. The nags can be prevented with fixsub.

The only think that could possibly be gained is a software upgrade and then all your hacks would be gone.

So why not just install fixsub and be done with it?

Originally posted by Sleeper
    It does not make much sense that eth0 is required. I would guess that the DTivo just tries to phone home to it's domain or ip and how it gets there is probably not of much concern.
    I can only speak for S1 DTivo, but they did indeed only use eth0. That's why a lot of people hacked the driver to come up as net0, to allow connectivity to the outside world without letting the Tivo call home.