Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDVR2 and ethernet call in

At this point, I am pretty sure I don't need to phone home (guide data is being updated and both of my HDVR2 work fine without a land line connected). I already install the fixsub and pretty much done with the tivo.
    I am just curious and want to learn more but searching the forum for days still come up with nothing. It is just frustrating when I thought no one bother with the HDVR2 to phone home, then one person will reply and said he did it with the wireless setup. However, those people will not response to how they did it. It just make me wonder what else I can do to make it work.

I posted over in the S2 forum a few weeks back about making the call over ethernet with an HDVR2. It works fine, but ,#401 doesn't do squat. you need to set DEBUG_BOARD=true and have an eth0. Perhaps you need to search a little harder next time.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...threadid=28349

Thanks for the reply. I guess I must miss that because I was looking for wireless connection. What kind of wireless setup do you use? I have read the thread and I guess I can change it directly in the rc.sysinit:

echo "Look for debug board ..."
    export DEBUG_BOARD=true

if checkEther ; then
    PATH=/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/devbin
    export PATH
    echo "Starting network ..."
    configGateway

export TMK_DEBUGGER=sleep
    export DEBUG_BOARD=true
    echo "Starting Telnet Listener..."
    if [ -x /bin/bash ] ; then
    tnlited 23 -r 9911 /bin/bash -login &
    else
    export TIVOSH_POOLSIZE=800000
    tnlited 23 -r 9911 /tvbin/tivosh -login &
    fi

One of the export Debug_board is already set to true, does it make any different?

You also mention that I need to set eth0, do you mean I need this back in my rc.sysinit.author?

insmod /lib/modules/pegasus.o
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 dev eth0
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1 eth0

I need the update to be done through the wireless setup not through the wire ethernet link. Did I miss anything?

Thanks again.

One more thing, if the above method work, how do I know I am successful in connecting to the tivo? Is there anyway to test it? I don't want it to just update my software. Also, I have been searching the Ping command in this forum and I still can't find it. Is it in a tcl or itcl file? Can anyone share that file?
    If I am not mistaken, if I can ping at the bash prompt, then I guess my wireless network to tivo should work. Please correct me if I am mistaken. Thanks.

I was looking around other way to gain access and find in the file rc.net, this lines:

mac=`crypto -gsn`

if /sbin/insmod -f /lib/modules/ax88796.o macaddr=$mac timing=5 ; then
    export DYNAMIC_NET_DEV=eth0
    mkdir -p /var/state/dhcp
    /sbin/dhclient -q eth0 2>/dev/null &

Since ax88796 is for the turbonet or older version of tivo and that cause the #401 not dail. I wonder if I can change the eth0 to wlan0 for it to access the wireless link. Also ax88796 is not in the HDVR2, any idea what I can use to replace this file?

Thanks.

Am I missing some step? It seem that everytime I ask for specific on wireless ethernet and call in for HDVR2, people will just say it can be done and that is about it. From the post of Juppers, I guess he must be using wired ethernet. I will set that up and see if that will do the job. I will post the result and hopefully other people who has the same question can have a better chance on solving this problem.

tim2009-
    I have a monte'd hdvr2 with wired ethernet and cannot get my daily call to work over over the internet- I tried everything- including setting debug_board to true in my rc.sysinit file. I can run wget from bash and see the outside world.
    If you ever figure it out let us know! thanks jz