Thread: folding @home on a TiVo?

folding @home on a TiVo?

Anybody interested in Folding @Home (F@H)on a TiVo?

There is no MIPS client yet (a PPC/OSX client is available),
    but there are several Linux/Intel Win/Intel clients.

If a MIPS/Linux client is available would you be interested?

http://foldingathome.stanford.edu

About F@H:
    What are proteins and why do they "fold"? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out their biochemical function, they remarkably assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, remains a mystery. Moreover, perhaps not surprisingly, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious effects, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, and Parkinson's disease.

What does Folding@Home do? Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies protein folding, misfolding, aggregation, and related diseases. We use novel computational methods and large scale distributed computing, to simulate timescales thousands to millions of times longer than previously achieved. This has allowed us to simulate folding for the first time, and to now direct our approach to examine folding related disease.

Interesting idea. But there's not a lot of CPU power in a Tivo, even in the Series 2. (Mine reads 161.38 bogomips -- I realize that's not a solid benchmark, but compare it to 1507.32 on my 750MHz Athlon.) It does have the advantage of being always-on, though. And it beats my 486, which had me thinking about using it for some services.

I wonder if keeping the CPU busy like this would make the system run significantly hotter? (It does on x86.) Cooling is a bit marginal as it is.

You would need the source code to this program, which from what I can see, isn't available.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Yeah, Seti@Home is the same way. Really annoying... they'd have more users if they went open source. But they don't want to hear it.