Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

this is the thread for S2 issues

Jamie has graciously adopted the mfs_* support binaries and has been maintaining them at

Unified mfs_* tools (originally tridge vplay)
    Last edited by rc3105; 03-21-2006 at 09:40 PM.

MFS-FTP on Series 2 Units

The original thread is Mfs_Ftp: extract, archive, restore & transfer recordings
    This is for the specific discussion about MFS_FTP for Series 2 units.

It is important to understand that files/programs/binaries are compiled scripts for a certain platform. Most of the files in the tivo community are compiled for series 1 units, or PPC processors. Since series 2 units are powered by MIPS processors, we can only use files/programs/binaries compiled for the MIPS platform. Knowing that, we have to have MIPS versions of the MFS_FTP support binaries.

1) link removed

2)Transfer that file to your S2 unit, in /var/hack or a subdirectory in there of your choice, and uncompress it.

3) Next chmod +x the 5 files you uncompressed (mfs_export, mfs_ftp.tcl, mfs_stdinsert, mfs_stream, mfs_tarstream)

4) Now, we need to make sure the following is in your hackinit

PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.
    TIVO_ROOT=
    MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    IGNOREEOF=1000
    export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF
    (of course make sure hda10 is the correct mfs_device for your setup)

If the above is somewhere in your hackinit, you are ready for the next step.

If the above is not in your hackinit, add it and then restart your tivo.

5) Finally, launch mfs_ftp.tcl by typing ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the path where you originally uploaded the files.

6) You are ready to use MFS-FTP. Read the readme included in the tarfile.

Note.. I can download files around ~500KB/s via a Belkin 10/100 USB Ethernet adapter from my HDVR2 using mfs-ftp.

Thanks again for a great util rc3105, and thanks to omnius for porting it to MIPS.

Enjoy!
    -Ed

edits: links updated & minor typos fixed
    Last edited by rc3105; 11-21-2003 at 03:47 PM.

FastEddieG - How do I determine my MFS partition?

Originally posted by kalex
    are u guys able to upload a show bigger than 524mb back to HDVR2? I still have a problem with the uploads.

Thanks

Alex
    Recompile the executables you are using (particularly the insert program). There are many broken builds making the rounds which cause annoying problems like that. If you do not compile your own at least ask your sugar daddy for a statically linked version.

Thanks for reply David,

Would you be kind enough and post a link to the latest compliled version of mfs_ftp for HDVR2 or email me the files? I don't have a unix box to compile my own version.

Thanks

Alex

hey,

thanks for helping out. i found mips binaries and replaced the ones i had on my hdvr2. now i get a different error when trying to insert a show back to the HDVR2

here is the error message that i get:

00:01:12 - copying 1 meg per "."
    ......... 10 ......... 20 ......... 30 ......... 40 ......... 50 ......... 60 ......... 70 ......... 80 ......... 90 ......... 100 ......... 110 ......... 120 ......... 130 ......... 140 ......... 150 ......... 160 ......... 170 ......... 180 ......... 190 ......... 200 ......... 210 ......... 220 ......... 230 ......... 240 ......... 250 ......... 260 ......... 270 ......... 280 ......... 290 ......... 300 ......... 310 ......... 320 ......... 330 ......... 340 ......... 350 ......... 360 ......... 370 ......... 380 ......... 390 ......... 400 ......... 410 ......... 420 ......... 430 ......... 440 ......... 450 ......... 460 ......... 470 ......... 480 ......... 490 ......... 500 ......... 510 .00:10:59 - pong - mfs_ftp running on 192,168,0,95 : 3105
    00:10:59 - entering update_rec_fsids
    00:11:00 - getting current rec_fsids list
    00:11:00 - rec_fsids doesn't match cached_rec_fsids, deleting cached info
    00:11:00 - entering build_rec_list
    00:11:00 - from mfs "/Recording/NowShowingByClassic"
    00:11:01 - build_rec_LIST complete
    bgerror invoked with error

" error writing "file18": broken pipe "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the currnet ftp connection and simply open another

00:11:02 - entering reset_mfs_ftp
    00:11:02 - port 3105 control socket initialized - ready for connections

Any ideas?

thanks

alex

Talking

hey,

thanks for helping out. i found mips binaries and replaced the ones i had on my hdvr2.
    Wow, it sounds like you jumped out of the frying pan, into the fire.

But don't mind me, I just posted clear explicit instructions on how to fix the problem, to hear myself speak.

David,

i don't get it. Is mfs_ftp working for u or not? if it is can u post ur binaries? where did u post the instructions?

thanks

alex

Angry

Originally posted by tivomoron
    Is there someone with a "fix" for this problem, willing to post it for us none programing types? Please. I would really like to pull some stuff off on my machine but If I cant get it back on I may as well delete it.
    For the love of God, it's a freaking C program. Is there NO LIMIT to how lazy you people can get??

This thread has been going on for WEEKS and you still have not taken the time to get off your duff and figure out how to compile a simple C program?? Nobody is asking you to code in C, learn MIPS ASM, or produce a netlist for the TiVo ASIC. The program in question can probably be compiled with a single command line.

When you finally arrive at the realization that your life of begging and leeching is getting you nowhere, click here to get started. You can thank me later.

Thank you RC i'll give it a try.

To David BUTT,

Well… I don’t know much about programming but it seems to me that if the files we have were not compiled for mips they would not run at all. They run for a while, then they stop prematurely. So without the knowledge to “fix” them we are out of luck. If we all knew how to program there would be no need for these forums, we would all just do own programming and everything would work fine like yours does!

Originally posted by tivomoron
    To David BUTT,
    That was rude and uncalled for. Name calling and flaming is strictly prohibited here and you are liable to be banned if you continue.

Well… I don’t know much about programming but it seems to me that if the files we have were not compiled for mips they would not run at all. They run for a while, then they stop prematurely. So without the knowledge to “fix” them we are out of luck. If we all knew how to program there would be no need for these forums, we would all just do own programming and everything would work fine like yours does!
    You need to educate yourself on the difference between compiling a program and writing a program. It should be obvious to everybody reading this that I did not write or modify the insertion program; I merely recompiled it to get it working, because the person who originally compiled the programs did so incorrectly.

But did you even bother trying to take this simple step? No, you continued to beg and whine. People like you are sending the average discussion quality on DDB down the toilet - that is why the gods are all defecting to alt.org. Is that what you want?

P.S. Is "David BUTT" the best insult you could come up with? Are you in third grade or something?

Angry

Unlike u RC3105 is being very helpful and me and others thank him for that. u on the other hand have nothing more to offer than ur crap that u are posting (read, search, blah blah blah). enough of this already. if u have nothing to contribute DON"T
    You can thank me any time for telling you (oh, about two weeks ago) exactly how to fix the problem you guys were having. I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting and was immediately met with more begging and whining - as per usual.

If you are too lazy to figure out how to implement the solution (which as I said before is a simple gcc command line), whose fault is that? Heaven forbid you actually try to learn anything on your own instead of begging for handouts. If you don't want to lift a finger the least you can do for the rest of us is shut up about it.

You and your fellow leeches disgust me. If you don't want to figure things out on your own, get the hell out of here and go back to tivocommunity.com.

David,

Let's not get personal. I can't seem to find the thread where u posted " I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting ".

the closest that i can find is the post that says to compile ur own version. U are right i don't know how to use gcc and i'll take a look at it and see if i can figure it out. when i posted the request for files i thought somebody would have them and post them for others to use. i don't see u writing ur own version of tivoweb or compiling them and other software. Do me a favor if u have nothing to say regarding questions in this thread don't waste ur time posting ur remarks as i and probably others don't feel like reading them. post them in the off topic section.

This would the last post on this subject from me.

Alex

I can't seem to find the thread where u posted " I generously posted the results of my troubleshooting ".

the closest that i can find is the post that says to compile ur own version.
    1) What part of "Recompile the executables you are using (particularly the insert program). There are many broken builds making the rounds..." are you having so much trouble understanding? That post pinpointed the problem and told you exactly how to fix it.

2) I find it amusing in a sick way that not only did you not lift a finger to solve the problem yourself, but you also have no idea whatsoever what RC3105 did to solve the problem. In other words you went out of your way to avoid learning anything from this exercise. Way to go!

3) It's spelled "you". This isn't AOL.

Would all of you just shut the H__l up!

tsk, tsk, tsk,

Now, now children, please calm down or somebody might come in here and censure all of you for behaving like morons.

David did post a "fix" as he said. I can't say if it works because I don't have an S2 yet. (I'm poor)

I don't however think most people who have a teency little number of posts are up to the "compile your own" stage yet. And while I understand Davids frustration at the number of people who fall into that catagory, compounded by the number of people who simply don't want to do anything, I also think everybody has to start somewhere. After all, even noobs wanna play with the cool toys, right?

So it seems to me that everybody should just calm down and speak politely to each other. Otherwise everybody loses.

Those who have/know get pissed and don't anwser questions, and those who have legitimate questions get no answers.

----of course, as Dennis Miller would say, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Dennis