Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

dsboyce8624,

I completely agree. I'm not a newbie by any means. I had SA1 and sony T60 before i got the s2. i put toghether those machines my self without any problems. To get back to the subject, i installed mips cross compile on my linux box. Question is this do i have to compile c code into mips executable or can i take a mfs_stdinsert and compile it to mips executable?

Alex

Take two asprin and call me in the morning.

Well, by definition, you compile source code. An executable is the product of that compiling.

D

sorry guys i didn't make it clear what i was trying to say. I know that when one compiles he gets an executable. when i read David's statement he said to recompile the executables to mips. that's what i was trying to ask. i thought there was a way to do it. Sorry.

No problem, no, you cannot recompile from an executable. You start with source code and compile for the processor you are using.

D

Having s slight problem with mfs_ftp, need help, and yes i've searched. over and over.

this is the last line in my hackinit file:

#Mfs_ftp
    /var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl &

seems like this is not starting up right, because nothing happens
    and then i manually type it in at the bash prompt in telnet and than i get

00:00:00 - entering init_mfs_ftp
    00:00:00 - entering background

and than i start up in my ftp, i get a error in telnet that says:

502 Command not implemented

and in my ftp i get a directory that says:

pheonix
    shutdown
    tmf and so on,

i dont think this is working right and if it is, how do i check it and or how does this part of the hack work?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Copper Top
    Having s slight problem with mfs_ftp, need help, and yes i've searched. over and over.

this is the last line in my hackinit file:

#Mfs_ftp

seems like this is not starting up right, because nothing happens
    and then i manually type it in at the bash prompt in telnet and than i get

00:00:00 - entering init_mfs_ftp
    00:00:00 - entering background

and than i start up in my ftp, i get a error in telnet that says:

502 Command not implemented

and in my ftp i get a directory that says:

pheonix
    shutdown
    tmf and so on,

i dont think this is working right and if it is, how do i check it and or how does this part of the hack work?

Thanks for any help.
    Let's see, the ftp server is listening on port 21, accepting commands, and giving you directory listings. Tell me again what the problem is?

If the "command not implemented" error bothers you, find a simpler ftp client or write one by hand. mfs_ftp was intentionally written to be a minimal, lightweight ftp server and therefore it does not support most of the bloat added to the spec since RFC 542 came out.

Copper Top-

It does look like it is working right. Thats what you should see. The 502 command not implemented is nothing to worry about. It is common to see that and similar errors when ftp clients and servers sometimes don't support all of the command sets.

If you go into the .tmf directory, you will see all of your recordings. You can just drag and drop one or more to your windows box. The different directories are just different file formats for the same recordings. There are threads here that explain that, and also I believe its in the mfs_ftp readme, too. Read the entire mfs_ftp thread. I know its long, and by the time you get to the end, most of what you read is either forgotten, or is irrelevant because it has been superceeded... But, it gives you the Big Picture, and lots of tidbits of info.

Enjoy.
    If a goldfish should want a vacation, who would know?

thanks alot, but the other problem i'm running into is that when i open my ftp server @192.168.1.225:3150 nothing happens or cannot connect, now i can connect Telnet and Ftp @ port 21
    but not @3150 and this is my hackinit file,

# Mfs_ftp

but i can manually type it in @ telnet and it seems to work ok,
    my question is: is my command line wrong or am i missing some thing in my hackinit file?

thanks

thanks alot, but the other problem i'm running into is that when i open my ftp server @192.168.1.225:3150 nothing happens or cannot connect, now i can connect Telnet and Ftp @ port 21
    but not @3150 and this is my hackinit file,

# Mfs_ftp

but i can manually type it in @ telnet and it seems to work ok,
    my question is: is my command line wrong or am i missing some thing in my hackinit file?

thanks
    No, there is no telnet service running on port 21 if you are running mfs_ftp on port 21. You are wrong. tnlited runs on port 23.

If you aren't starting an ftp daemon or some other service that binds to port 3150 (or do you mean 3105?), you are not going to be able to connect to port 3150 (or port 3105) because nothing is listening for connections on that port. Simple.

to clarify, i have bash when i connect with telnet and i can tranfer files when i connect with 192...........ip address@port 21.

and i'm trying to connect on 192.........ip address @port 3150 for mfs_ftp useing /var/hack/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl & in my hackinit file but it seem that it does not load because i can not connect.

now i can manually go into telnet and type:

cd /var/hack/mfs_ftp
    mfs_ftp.tcl

and everthing seems to work fine,

now why can't my hackinit file load mfs_ftp?

Arrow

now why can't my hackinit file load mfs_ftp?
    Ah, now this is where your troubleshooting skills are put to the test.

Let's start making a list of the conditions which are different between running from "hackinit" and running from the command line after the system is up. I'll get the ball rolling for you and after you fill in the rest, you will know immediately what the problem is.

1) stdin, stdout, stderr are open file handles to a pty in a telnet session, and quite possibly go to oblivion from hackinit.

2) some environment variables are different

3) some processes/services are not running yet

4) you fill in the details!

i appreciate the response to my problem, but i have no idea what your asking for in questions 1, 2 & 3, i just dont understand the terms your asking.

i appreciate the response to my problem, but i have no idea what your asking for in questions 1, 2 & 3, i just dont understand the terms your asking.
    You should consult the google search engine to find the meanings of any unfamiliar terms.

yes, that what i fiqured out, but the instruction by:Mike Cobelli says to put it in there, so i guess its a mistake or something, anyway i did get it to run in that directory by useing a change directory and than ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the hackinit file, everything seems good to go, tonight i changing it to the var/mfs_ftp directory like it should be.

Thanks

yes, that what i fiqured out, but the instruction by:Mike Cobelli says to put it in there, so i guess its a mistake or something, anyway i did get it to run in that directory by useing a change directory and than ./mfs_ftp.tcl in the hackinit file, everything seems good to go, tonight i changing it to the var/mfs_ftp directory like it should be.

Thanks
    Actually there appears to be 2 versions. The one that cobelli has in his writeup runs from /var/hack/mfs_ftp.. I it was a specially coded version to run on series 2/hdvr2 machines.

The release version 128f runs from /var/mfs_ftp....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!