Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

yep. there is no special version. the version that was posted for hdvr2 is edited to point to /var/hack/mfs_ftp instead of /var/mfs_ftp. and its also older version of the script. you can take the latest one that rc3105 has released and set it to point to /var/hack/mfs_ftp and it will work fine.

alex

EDIT the "special version" cobelli & others have posted for s2's is a corrupted copy of an obsolete version & will do NASTY things to a 4.x box (like toast the drive)

use the current version from the main thread (s2 safe!) with the s2 binaries linked to at the start of this thread
    Last edited by rc3105; 12-17-2003 at 07:56 PM.

Re: Diary of a would-be mfs_ftper

Originally posted by tivomoron
    Opening data connection IP: 10.2.185.216 PORT: 4527.
    STOR Most Extreme Elimination2003-04-1908-28-2003 09.00 PMSPKE.tmf
    150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "Most Extreme Elimination2003-04-1908-28-2003 09.00 PMSPKE.tmf"
    Connection closed. Server timeout.
    Connection closed. Server timeout.
    PORT 10,2,185,216,17,176
    It looks like you are communicating between two different private subnets. Have you checked your routing to make sure your configuration handles the special needs of the active FTP data connection correctly?

Have you checked your routing to make sure your configuration handles the special needs of the active FTP data connection correctly?

Well, No. I dont know what the "special needs of the active FTP data connection" are.

Could you be so kind as to tell me?

I running running Win XP Pro with two other computers and my tivo through a hub. Using internet sharing and DHCP. I know very little about networks.

Arrow

Well, No. I dont know what the "special needs of the active FTP data connection" are.

Could you be so kind as to tell me?

I running running Win XP Pro with two other computers and my tivo through a hub. Using internet sharing and DHCP. I know very little about networks.
    I'll run through the process here briefly - but specifics of the configuration depend a LOT on what software/hardware you are using to do routing. For instance, appropriate settings for iptables (--state RELATED, etc.) are completely different from settings for ICS, or for a D-Link router, etc.

If you want to completely understand the POS that is FTP, see:

http://www.wu-ftpd.org/rfc/

In a nutshell, an active FTP transfer requires two TCP connections. The initial connection is called the "control" connection and it terminates at port 21 of the ftp server. Assuming your home network is 192.168.0.0/24 and your gateway (192.168.0.1 internally, 24.8.54.145 externally) connects you to the rest of the internet, let's say you are connecting to ftp.gnu.org to download the latest gcc so that you can get your cross compiler up and running:

(your ftp client connects from say 192.168.0.10:1234 -> 199.232.41.7:21)
    < 220 GNU FTP server ready
    > USER ftp
    < 230 Login successful.
    > SYST
    < 215 UNIX Type: L8
    > CWD /pub/gnu/gcc
    < 250 Directory successfully changed
    > TYPE I
    < 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    > PORT 192,168,0,10,197,9
    < 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    > RETR gcc-3.3.tar.gz
    < 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for gcc-3.3.tar.gz (31046469 bytes).
    (ftp.gnu.org opens a data connection from 199.232.41.7:20 -> 192.168.0.10:50441 and transfers the file)
    < 226 File send OK.

Most of this is self explanatory. But take a look at the boldfaced line: your system is telling the gnu ftp server to connect to 192.168.0.10, port 197*256 + 9 (50441). This means that the ftp server is connecting back to your PC to transfer the file (your ftp client has opened port 50441 to get the file data). But guess what, 192.168.0.10 isn't a routable IP address - there is no way for the ftp server on the public internet to connect to that address. The trick is that your router, 192.168.0.1, needs to sniff the FTP control connection to see that your PC is opening port 50441 and sending the PORT command to the remote ftp server. It then needs to open a port on its own external network interface (the ip address assigned to your cable modem or whatnot) to accept this ftp data connection, add an entry into its NAT table to forward this incoming connection back to 192.168.0.10:50441, and then modify the PORT command to point to the correct port and the correct routable (external) IP address.

Therefore the control connection traffic seen by the gnu ftp server probably looks quite a bit different, as it has been rewritten by your router:

< 200 Switching to Binary mode.
    > PORT 24,8,54,145,78,31
    < 200 PORT command successful. Consider using PASV.
    > RETR gcc-3.3.tar.gz
    (ftp server opens a connection 199.232.41.7:20 -> 24.8.54.145:19999, which your router accepts and forwards to 192.168.0.10:50441)

So if whatever you are using to route between your 192.168.x.x network and 10.x.x.x network is not correctly intercepting and rewriting the ftp control connection, you will need to find out why. I would recommend the use of tcpdump and/or ethereal to sniff the wire (particularly the ftp control connection) so you can see what is going on.

How can I find out if they are still scrambled?

I have the kmem \d+ \d+ command in my rc.sysinit.

I don't have the numbers handy but its straight from the tutorial s2 from bash to exctraction.

So if they are scrambled then that would prevent mfs_ftp from sending the ty file? It would cause it to reset the ftp server right after the transfer is initiated?

Thanks by the way for the prompt response.

Originally posted by DjPK
    How can I find out if they are still scrambled?
    This does not apply to the autoscramble mod.

Attempting to play back a scrambled stream with the noscramble patch properly applied will fail.

Attempting to play back an unscrambled stream with the noscramble patch NOT applied will fail.

So if you think you made an unscrambled recording, turn off the patch and see if you can play it back with scrambling re-enabled.

ok i did some testing and it seems that the kmem command is doing nothing on my setup.

I have a 3.0 monted 4.0 setup.

i was running kmem from rc.sysinit
    /bin/kmem 800b23b4 00001021

so i commented it out and rebooted.
    I could still see all of my files correctly.
    So i then telnet into the box and issued the command
    manually.
    ./kmem 800b23b4 00001021

it just dropped down to the next line with a bash prompt. No output. So i then tried to play a vidio that had been recorded. It still played fine.

Is that the correct command?

Paul Kraus
    SAS2 - Stand Alone Series 2 60 Hours

ok i did some testing and it seems that the kmem command is doing nothing on my setup.

I have a 3.0 monted 4.0 setup.

i was running kmem from rc.sysinit
    /bin/kmem 800b23b4 00001021
    I don't know what you mean by "3.0 monted 4.0 setup," but if you are using that command on a 2.4.18 kernel, stop now before you lose data.

Originally posted by David Bought
    I don't know what you mean by "3.0 monted 4.0 setup," but if you are using that command on a 2.4.18 kernel, stop now before you lose data.
    The problem I have here is that you obviously know what he's talking about when he said that, you're just giving him a hard time because you don't like the way he said it.

I have no problem when people deserve a reaming ... I frankly didn't even pay attention to this thread at first until I saw someone mention elsewhere that it might contain useful information ... I glossed by it because of the volume of people who think "u" is a word I saw posting within the first couple pages. If you want to ream them feel free ... but if you're just going to give people a hard time to get your jollies, I might point out that your posts are about as useless as the aforementioned butchers of the English language.

I found no specific references to the 4.0's kernel revision for kmem however I tried the first thing I read in a Series 2 FAQ (and yes, I realize the software revisions would be different, but I didn't see anyone mentioning different parameters elsewhere so I tried it because that's the tried-and-true way to find out if it works with that version or not, try) ... it didn't work, I stopped trying it and went back to reading.

I remembered reading some discussion of kmem in the "Series 2 people out of luck" thread so I went back and re-read, and in fact there were different parameters discussed there. The kmem line quoted in the discussion there was:

kmem 800bf958 00001021

I tried that. Things seem to be functioning as expected, existing recordings would not play back, nor would new recordings until I replaced tivoapp with the one I modified (thanks to MuscleNerd's information).

I got directed to this thread as I was searching for answers to problems I've been having with extraction tools. I noticed a thread DjPK had started about MFS_FTP problems on the SAS2. Someone said there that the information should be found contained in this thread. So far all I see is dozens of David Bought posts flaming people.

I don't actually see any reference to the problem DjPK originally posted about though so I can't see why he was directed here except that he posted about mfs_ftp and people were (kinda) discussing it here. When attempting to use mfs_ftp to download from the tivo, mfs_ftp just errors out and restarts mfs_ftp on the tivo side. I'd like to see some actual feedback about this...

00:03:45 - echo to verify: RETR 510338 Parnell - .ty
    00:03:45 - entering RETR - retrieve video
    00:03:45 - 150 About to open data connection.
    00:03:45 - entering dump_xml
    00:03:45 - fconfigure
    00:03:45 - entering buildty
    00:03:45 - fsid list is "510337"
    00:03:45 - extracting part "510337"
    bgerror invoked with error

" child process exited abnormally "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the currnet ftp connection and simply open another

00:03:46 - entering reset_mfs_ftp
    00:03:46 - port 3150 control socket initialized - ready for connections

So what should I be looking for? The tmf file can be grabbed but anything else just causes mfs_ftp to restart as shown above.

I was also looking over the Client/Server tyTools mentioned in the "Complete HDVR2/DSR7000" How-To and while I am not particularly shocked that the files referenced in that HOWTO didn't work on my SAS2 I am not sure what to make of why as I'm not intimately familiar with the TiVo's streams.

I'd suggest that a new thread for discussing 4.0 SAS2 unit extraction tools seems to be in order but if I started one I'd likely just get linked to five threads that had nothing to do with the subject matter and/or flamed for suggesting something so vexatious as sharing information with those who are more interested in functionality than learning how to build a tivo from scratch with nothing more than old toaster parts and some glue.

-X

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Xanthio
    The problem I have here is that you obviously know what he's talking about when he said that, you're just giving him a hard time because you don't like the way he said it.

I have no problem when people deserve a reaming ...
    That was not a reaming. If the post doesn't apply to you, MYOFB.

The poster appeared to be using a 2.4.4 kernel patch on a 2.4.18 kernel. Corrupting random parts of kernel memory, especially near the IDE subsystem, can be an easy way to lose data. As mentioned several times in the original 2.4.4 kmem post, you need to be careful when you apply binary patches to your kernel, and you should verify that the code you are patching is what was expected. What you don't understand can hurt you.

I'd suggest that a new thread for discussing 4.0 SAS2 unit extraction tools seems to be in order but if I started one I'd likely just get linked to five threads that had nothing to do with the subject matter and/or flamed for suggesting something so vexatious as sharing information with those who are more interested in functionality than learning how to build a tivo from scratch with nothing more than old toaster parts and some glue.
    I strongly suggest changing your tone. We have no use for your whining or your negativity here. If you want to contribute something to the community, sh*t or get off the pot.

And as for your negative comments that were apparently leveled at developers - you have no right whatsoever to dictate their goals and interests. If you don't like the work that we do, go create your own TiVo board and write your own damn hacks.

David all meant to say was that i am using the monte hack to 1st load the 3.0 software and then the 4.0 software. I have no idea which of these versions uses what kernel. You could at least correct me rather then just leaving me to speak in an ignorant way. I am here to learn. I am not some windows noob. I admin 3 linux servers however i have never worked in linux in a manner like this or have i ever been one to look at the kernel or such....

But I am trying to learn even beyond the use of the tivo.

I think a seperate thred for discussion on stand alone series 2 may be usuable. but will continue to post where i have been as to avoid attack.
    DjPK
    --------------
    SAS2 - Stand Alone Series 2 60Hour
    Hacks: Monte, Telnet, Tivoweb, Bash, 240gb Hard Drive,
    Video Extract: tytools - Mnerd da MAN

David all meant to say was that i am using the monte hack to 1st load the 3.0 software and then the 4.0 software. I have no idea which of these versions uses what kernel.
    cat /proc/version

In this case, you are booting the 2.4.4 kernel and using monte to boot the 2.4.18 kernel.

This is the sort of thing you need to educate yourself about if you are going to be using kmem to patch kernel memory. It is a very simple, blunt, unforgiving tool. In fact, any time you cross the user/kernel barrier, the tolerance for error goes down dramatically.

Following a "guide" will often get things set up the way you want them, but when something breaks you need to do your research and figure out what's going on behind the scenes, or else your problem won't be going away.

No I didnt hear a thing. Like most people here I ignor most of he posts. Its seldom helpful.

I think when we find problems and point them out it helps the programers to "polish" their work. Its not bitching.
    1) Problems with your broken build of mfs_stdinsert have nothing to do with Riley's program and they are not his problem. Fixing this problem does not count as "polishing" his program.

2) Problems with your broken build of mfs_stdinsert have nothing to do with the original author's program and they are not his problem. The source code is 100% correct and anybody with half a brain can recompile it to get a good build.

3) You ignore most of my posts because you are too lazy to take any helpful advice which would solve your problems (if they involve doing work). You have the classic "don't wanna" personality and you will go nowhere in life.

Most users come here knowing very little about the TiVo. Some, like cobelli, work to improve their understanding of the subject matter and attempt to contribute back to the community. Others, like you, don't lift a damn finger except to complain. Your continued existence here is a detriment and an insult to the forum.

Originally posted by kalex
    I installed cross compile on my linux box. can somebody point me to the source code of mfs_stdinsert so i can try to compile it?
    -DTIVO is probably a bad idea.

-static is probably a good one.

Ok, after finding a different box to put the compiling environment on, I am still having issues. I can compile mfs_export and such fine, but mfs_import will not compile. On both machines it give the follow errors. Anyone know what I'm not doing right?

mfs_stdinsert.c:186:16: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
    mfs_stdinsert.c:186:16: warning: multi-line string literals are deprecated
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `mfs_fsid_pwrite':
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x60): undefined reference to `mfs_load_inode'
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x5c4): undefined reference to `mfs_write_sectors'
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `import_file':
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x834): undefined reference to `mfs_readahead'
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0x84c): undefined reference to `mfs_fsid_size'
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o: In function `main':
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0xd04): undefined reference to `mfs_init'
    /root/tmp/cchnROso.o(.text+0xd24): undefined reference to `mfs_resolve'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status