Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

Quote Originally Posted by dengland View Post
    Nothing could be happening within the mfs_ftp.tcl could it? That file is different than what is on the 6.2 boxes.

I am going to go hand edit the tivoapp file instead of the "echo" shortcut I used.
    Carefully edited tivoapp with only the NOCSO patch made no difference.

mfs_ftp.tcl from a known good 6.2 box made no difference.

mfs_uberexport has the same md5sum on both the working 6.2 and not working 6.3b boxes. I am stuck.
    HR10-250 - 500G, HR34-700, HR20-700, HR22-100, HR22-100

Just to confirm that the patch posted in post #409 fixes the Now Playing Issues with blank entries ? I wasn't sure if this was a dTivo related patch or its needed on SA s2 tivos as well .. A working mfs_ftp install previously on a 8.1a box results in all shows having the same fsid, and blank entries in now playing...
    Last edited by ercdvs; 02-27-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: stupidity in searching

Video extraction issues / blips of other shows in the middle of what i downloaded?

Hello there.

I have been looking to no avail with any search term ive shoved into either the site search, or the google site search, with regard to small 'blips' of other shows appearing in the middle of mfs_ftp downloaded files.

What causes this?

How can it be fixed?

I have 2 movies i just FTP'd to my laptop, and upon playing them, there are blips every so often of some other show, causing an mpeg video desync / retile, and i momentarily hear the audio from said other show too.

I really want mfs_ftp to work, because this is the downright easiest way to get stuff from my tivo, however, if the error rate is so high what can I do to mitigate this short of using a less-automated method of extraction?

I've got the most recent patch set i can find for mfs_ftp from the main mfs_ftp thread, and im using any manner of FTP client.. osx cyberduck, linux commandline ftp, nomatter what i use this issue keeps happening. (This sort of makes me wonder why don't these forums organize with multi-level heirarchy... one section for series 2, then under that each thing (mfs_ftp tivotool et al) have their own -forums- with one thread per-issue? the whole gargantuan 90 page threads don't help searches at all)

Any reply would be appreciated. And if I was unable to find in the 90 some pages of the main mfs_ftp thread, or in this thread, some insight, please point me to where searching did not reveal.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mystica555 View Post
    Hello there.

I have been looking to no avail with any search term ive shoved into either the site search, or the google site search, with regard to small 'blips' of other shows appearing in the middle of mfs_ftp downloaded files.

What causes this?
    I've never seen this. Series1 or Series2? What are you using for playback? Are you converting to mpg first (e.g. with tytompg), or playing them directly with TyShow, VLC, Mplayer or some other ty aware player? Tivo recordings are broken into parts, and there is junk between parts that needs to be skipped over. It's possible your playback software isn't skipping over the junk properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I've never seen this. Series1 or Series2? What are you using for playback? Are you converting to mpg first (e.g. with tytompg), or playing them directly with TyShow, VLC, Mplayer or some other ty aware player? Tivo recordings are broken into parts, and there is junk between parts that needs to be skipped over. It's possible your playback software isn't skipping over the junk properly.
    Series2 directivo DSR7000, rev6.2 software.

I'm at the moment using mplayer, svn as of about 2 weeks ago, compiled for OSX. Raw playing of the ftp'd .ty+ file. I hope to be able to run mencoder on these ty+ files, en masse, to archive 73 episodes of Good Eats I've been storing while I've been building a new fileserver for my network.

I've had "The Prestige" playing in the background trying to listen for breaks in 3x chipmunkspeak and have yet to see/hear any issues for the first hour. Then, at 3516 seconds it blipped. I can take video with a camcorder of my screen (don't know of any good video capturing screen recorders for OSX and am not sure theyd be as good at showing 30fps) to demonstrate the problem.

I should also mention, mplayer tivo://ip/fsid does not produce these blips.
    Mike
    Last edited by mystica555; 09-12-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added info

Series2 directivo DSR7000, rev6.2 software.

I'm at the moment using mplayer, svn as of about 2 weeks ago, compiled for OSX. Raw playing of the ftp'd .ty+ file. I hope to be able to run mencoder on these ty+ files, en masse, to archive 73 episodes of Good Eats I've been storing while I've been building a new fileserver for my network.

I've had "The Prestige" playing in the background trying to listen for breaks in 3x chipmunkspeak and have yet to see/hear any issues for the first hour. Then, at 3516 seconds it blipped. I can take video with a camcorder of my screen (don't know of any good video capturing screen recorders for OSX and am not sure theyd be as good at showing 30fps) to demonstrate the problem.

I should also mention, mplayer tivo://ip/fsid does not produce these blips.
    Mike
    I'm inclined to blame the mplayer ty code rather than mfs_ftp. Run a file through tytompg or TySuiteJ and see if its output plays correctly.
    Last edited by Jamie; 09-12-2007 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm inclined to blame the mplayer ty code rather than mfs_ftp. Run a file through tytompg or TySuiteJ and see if its output plays correctly.
    And you'd be correct. The mpeg file made by tytompg 0.19 works fine. Just is another step in an already long chain of re-encoding I foresee.

Now, im curious why... Mplayer has been able to parse ty files for years and yet nobody's noticed this before.. I should go post a bug report. It'll make me rather happy to be able to play/reencode these files without the time consuming remultiplexing.

It also makes me curious why going thru the vstream method I don't see these issues.

And thirdly, is there any possible way to, on the tivo, extract as a direct mpeg? Some way of putting this ty>mpeg logic into the mfs_ftp server or a mips binary helper for the server? or, to simply avoid this 'garbage' in between segments?

Mike

And you'd be correct. The mpeg file made by tytompg 0.19 works fine. Just is another step in an already long chain of re-encoding I foresee.

Now, im curious why... Mplayer has been able to parse ty files for years and yet nobody's noticed this before.. I should go post a bug report. It'll make me rather happy to be able to play/reencode these files without the time consuming remultiplexing.

It also makes me curious why going thru the vstream method I don't see these issues.

And thirdly, is there any possible way to, on the tivo, extract as a direct mpeg? Some way of putting this ty>mpeg logic into the mfs_ftp server or a mips binary helper for the server? or, to simply avoid this 'garbage' in between segments?

Mike
    tmf files (and probably vstream playback) inherently contain more information about where the part boundaries are. Each part is a separate tystream on the tivo with a used length. vstream knows where the start and end is of each one. Similarly, each part is a separate "file" within the tar of a tmf file, so programs that deal with tmf files know were each one starts and ends. ty's are another matter, because each part is simply concatenated with the other parts to make the whole. At the end of each part is some junk, and the decoder has to figure out where the next part starts. If that junk happens to look like more ty data, it can get confused.

At least I think that's what is going on. I've never looked at the mplayer code, so I could be wrong. Since tytompg gets it right, it must be possible, so the mplayer ty support could probably be fixed by someone sufficiently motivated.

The tivo is a pretty slow box, so in general you are best off doing as much of the heavy lifting as possible on the PC side. Just my opinion. People say that TTG is slow because the remux is happening on tivo side, although I've never been totally convinced that's true.
    Last edited by Jamie; 09-12-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Each TY segment consists of a "master" chunk and a bunch of payload chunks. There may also be 1 or more garbage chunks at the end of the segment. Actually other than the last segment, there should be exactly 1 garbage chunk at the end of the segment if you transfered with mfs_ftp. It is arguably a bug in mfs_ftp that these chunks are even put into TY files but that's old history. For the last segment there are often more than 1 garbage chunk, presumably because the tivo pre-allocates chunks at recording time. These garbage chunks in the last segment usually contain valid TY records from a previous recording so you'll see a moment of old content if the end of recording is not handled right.

Fortunately, the "master" chunks contain a count of the number of valid payload chunks. So if one parses the master chunks, one knows how many payload chunks to expect. .tmf format redundantly stores this same count in the tar header. .tmf format is inferior to .ty format in that it prevents direct random access to chunks, as chunk offsets become dependent upon the number of chunks in a segment. .tmf is a PITA for applications that just want to parse a stream, not variable length records. It also makes chunk-level cutting of recordings more difficult.

On the other hand, because of bugs in mfs_ftp, .tmf is better than .ty for file transfer purposes. It also readily exposes user errors in file transfers such as using ascii mode by accident or the use of a broken ftp client.

mplayer is pretty lose about a/v sync, and it has some bugs in parsing TY. Years ago I posted a cleanup patch for mplayer for HD TY streams but I think the patch fell on deaf ears.

tytompg gets your content to standard compliant mpeg2 without transcoding, at which point you can use media players which are more careful about a/v sync such as xine, vlc, and powerdvd.

No arguments with anything you said, but just one word in support of tmf: the extra metadata in a tmf is not really redundant in the case of scrambled streams where the contents of the stream are a black box you can't look inside of. tmf is really the only format usable for saving/restoring scrambled streams for this reason.

Right. Forgot about encrypted recordings.

35 Transfer problems!

Hi,

I'm running a SD-DVR40 (HDVR2?) with "Zippered" 6.2 tivo software and 320GB hard drive. I have about ~200 shows, about 150 hrs worth.

I have previously transferred and extracted w/o any issues. however, recently I'm having this problem where I get disconnected when I try to open the tmf or ty+ directory. Here is the log from my ftp client. Its the same result regardless of the client i use.

Previous when I ran into this problem, I figured out that if start my msf_ftp.tcl and leave it overnight, my problems went away. That is not working now!

I have the mfs_ftp installed int he /var/hack directory.

Also how do I read the mfs-ftp log?

Help!
    Hawkeye

[20:56:40] *** Connecting to 192.168.1.110:3105...
    [20:56:40] *** Connected with server, waiting for welcome message...
    [20:56:40] 220 Mfs_Ftp ver 1.2.9p - {sock22} from "192.168.1.102:45548"
    [20:56:40] USER anonymous
    [20:56:40] 331 User name okay, need password.
    [20:56:40] PASS (hidden)
    [20:56:40] 230 Running in TiVo Mode.
    [20:56:40] SYST
    [20:56:40] 215 UNIX
    [20:56:40] FEAT
    [20:56:40] 502 Command not implemented "FEAT"
    [20:56:40] PWD
    [20:56:40] 257 "/" is current directory.
    [20:56:40] *** Connected.
    [20:56:40] *** Fetching directory listing...
    [20:56:40] TYPE A
    [20:56:40] 200 Type set to I
    [20:56:40] EPSV
    [20:56:40] 502 Command not implemented "EPSV"
    [20:56:40] PASV
    [20:56:40] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,110,12,32).
    [20:56:40] *** Establishing data connection with 192.168.1.110:3104...
    [20:56:40] *** Data connection established.
    [20:56:40] LIST -a
    [20:56:40] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    [20:56:40] 226 Transfer complete.
    [20:56:40] *** Transfer completed.
    [20:56:50] *** Fetching directory listing...
    [20:56:50] CWD /tmf
    [20:56:50] 250 Directory change successful.
    [20:56:50] PWD
    [20:56:50] 257 "/tmf" is current directory.
    [20:56:50] TYPE A
    [20:56:50] 200 Type set to I
    [20:56:50] PASV
    [20:56:50] 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,110,12,32).
    [20:56:50] *** Establishing data connection with 192.168.1.110:3104...
    [20:56:50] *** Data connection established.
    [20:56:50] LIST -a
    [20:56:50] 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list.
    [20:56:50] *** Disconnected.

rayik Guest
    (I posted this in the wrong place and am reposting here)

_____

I have a SA2 (9.1 s/w) and Dtivo (6.3e s/w). I am using MovieLoader to move shows from SA2 > DTIVO. It works very well but there are a couple of shows that will not transfer. They just "hang." In the NPL it appears as recording but has the file name from tmf (but does not display xml values as it does when a transfer actually starts to take place).

Initially I thought this was a MovieLoader problem but now I do not think so. None of these shows have "special characters" in the title. Using Flashfxp, the same failed show will transfer SA2 > PC and PC > DTIVO but will not go SA2 > DTIVO. Using flashfxp I have the same "hang" when going SA2 > DTIVO as when using MovieLoader. (I note when the show transfers PC > DTIVO, the NPL info is still the file name from ty+ directory listing and not xml values, but it does play okay.)

I've attached the port.3105.log for both the SA2 (sending unit) and DTIVO (receiving unit) showing level 5 details for just the failed transfer (using MovieLoader). Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by rayik; 03-19-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: fixed typos and added a little more info

2 dtivos

Ok so i have 2 Dtivos i have MFS_tfp working on one but the other is not working.. I'm not sure why as they are both hacked the same... I used PTVnet upgrade and i added a 2nd patch but cant remember which one.. " i needed to add this for the linksys v2 usb2 lan adapter (since only version 1 was working with the original ptv net) I copied everything to /var/hack ran tar -xvf mfs_ftp
    then cd mfs_ftp and ran mfs_ftp and i get the following error

"syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1"
    while executing
    "expr ((0x$charb - 4) / 256) + 1"
    (procedure "mfs_stream_size" line 8)
    invoked from within
    "mfs_stream_size $part"
    ("foreach" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "foreach part $info($fsid,parts) {
    if { [catch { mfs streamsize $part } p_s ] } { set psize [mfs_stream_size $pa
    rt] } else { set psize [expr [lindex..."
    ("uplevel" body line 9)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
    foreach item "State Showing Part" { set info($fsid,$item) [ntrim [dbobj $rec g
    et $item]] }
    fore..."
    (procedure "rec_info_from_db" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "rec_info_from_db $fsid"
    (procedure "update_rec_fsids" line 17)
    invoked from within
    "update_rec_fsids 1"
    (procedure "init_procs" line 11)
    invoked from within
    "init_procs"
    (file "./mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1534)"