Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSR-708 vs DSR-7000

DSR-708 vs DSR-7000

Is there really a difference besides the HD size in the two? Can they both run all the same hacks?

Re: DSR-708 vs DSR-7000

Originally posted by Antdog24
    Is there really a difference besides the HD size in the two? Can they both run all the same hacks?
    the 708 is an RID unit, which has some dtv related implications that aren't a topic for discussion here. also, because the hardware is slightly different, the images for the dsr7000/hdvr2/dvr39 cannot be used directly on the dsr708/dvr40. however, both can get bash using the monte approach, and standard hacks such as extraction and tivoweb should work.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

RID

At the risk of being flamed, I would like to ask what RID is. I did a search and really did not find an answer, the oblique reference to a "taboo" subject would seem to indicate it has something to do with signal theft. Can you explain it without getting sued or thrown off the board ? "humorous sarcasm" intended.

Thanks !

Re: RID

Originally posted by snoots
    At the risk of being flamed, I would like to ask what RID is. I did a search and really did not find an answer, the oblique reference to a "taboo" subject would seem to indicate it has something to do with signal theft. Can you explain it without getting sued or thrown off the board ? "humorous sarcasm" intended.

Thanks !
    RID - receiver identification number. its an additional number which is probably going to be used to lock access cards to the receiver, similar to how dish network does their stuff. you can find further information on more appropriate forums.

RID

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

Well just to let you guys know I was able to impliment ALL the hacks on the 708 and its running without a hitch.

Is the DSR708 any different apart from that? Does it have a faster CPU? It would be nice to see a DirecTivo that didn't have *painfully* slow menus. They make a ten year old regular satellite receiver look like a sprint racer! :-) I realise once you set up your shows to record, you no longer use the guide like before blah, blah, but still, it would be great to have 10 year old V1 satellite receiver menu performance. (Who knows one day it could even be better?!) ;-)

Originally posted by imaloserbaby
    Is the DSR708 any different apart from that? Does it have a faster CPU? It would be nice to see a DirecTivo that didn't have *painfully* slow menus. They make a ten year old regular satellite receiver look like a sprint racer! :-) I realise once you set up your shows to record, you no longer use the guide like before blah, blah, but still, it would be great to have 10 year old V1 satellite receiver menu performance. (Who knows one day it could even be better?!) ;-)
    no, its identical to the dsr7000 hardware wise except for the rid modifications AFAIK. definitely not a faster processor.

no RID DTivo's

What are the non-RID DTiVo's Models that are available? Are these all non-Rid? dsr7000/hdvr2/dvr39

Thx
    DeTer
    S1 & S2 Owner

Re: no RID DTivo's

Originally posted by DeTer
    What are the non-RID DTiVo's Models that are available? Are these all non-Rid? dsr7000/hdvr2/dvr39
    Try to get an RID unit if you can, as they are better. Unfortunately they are also more expensive.

Re: Re: no RID DTivo's

Originally posted by David Bought
    Try to get an RID unit if you can, as they are better. Unfortunately they are also more expensive.
    As a potentially 'new' directv user (if I get into the lower lats sometime soon )

I'm now confused... Why exactly DO I want

'an RID unit if you can, as they are better' ?

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

i'm also curious why a RID is better. could you elaberate?

Originally posted by maule
    i'm also curious why a RID is better. could you elaberate?
    Receivers without an RID are being phased out and will at some point in the future be unable to decode the DTV signal, making them worthless.

At some point in the less distant future, activating new service on a non-RID unit will become difficult or impossible. If you're lucky they might offer you a small discount on a replacement unit.

Not to mention the DSR704 RCA 40 look way better and probably have a new sound chip to fix the sound problems on non rid units.
    Like HDVR2 DSR7000. I notice if you take a HDVR2 image and put it on DVR40 no sound at all. Wouldnt this mean the sound chip has been changed maybe? D*V secret to avoid having to recall all the HDVR2 and DSR7000 Tivo's for free replacement.

Originally posted by David Bought
    Receivers without an RID are being phased out and will at some point in the future be unable to decode the DTV signal, making them worthless.

At some point in the less distant future, activating new service on a non-RID unit will become difficult or impossible. If you're lucky they might offer you a small discount on a replacement unit.
    I hope that they increase the image quality if they do a complete hardware swapout. Maybe to like 720x480 or smth, they could probably squeeze in the extra bandwidth for it if they brought their mpeg-2 compression more up to date.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?