Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DSR-708 vs DSR-7000

Pop quiz: who's got more bandwidth available? Hint: it starts with 'c' and ends with "able".[/QUOTE]

This is actualy funny. I just had digital cable and High Speed internet installed in March and the Comcast tech that installed my service told me that Comcast does not have enough bandwidth avalible to host full digital service. Did you know that Comcast digital cable is not completely digital? channels 2-70 are analog! only the channels above 70 are digital and even the digital channels look like S**T. but I just thought I might drop that bomb on you dave!
    Last edited by Les_Sr; 04-13-2004 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les_Sr
    This is actualy funny. I just had digital cable and High Speed internet installed in March and the Comcast tech that installed my service told me that Comcast does not have enough bandwidth avalible to host full digital service. Did you know that Comcast digital cable is not completely digital? channels 2-70 are analog! only the channels above 70 are digital and even the digital channels look like S**T. but I just thought I might drop that bomb on you dave!
    Oh my - you're actually going to re-hash this ancient thread?

Oh well - I guess I just added to the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Les_Sr
    Pop quiz: who's got more bandwidth available? Hint: it starts with 'c' and ends with "able".

This is actualy funny. I just had digital cable and High Speed internet installed in March and the Comcast tech that installed my service told me that Comcast does not have enough bandwidth avalible to host full digital service. Did you know that Comcast digital cable is not completely digital? channels 2-70 are analog! only the channels above 70 are digital and even the digital channels look like S**T. but I just thought I might drop that bomb on you dave![/QUOTE]

channels 2-70 are analog for historical reasons (and possibly legal) reasons. Its expected that you can plug a "cable ready" tv into the cable outlet and it will be able to show you those channels.

As far as bandwidth goes, maybe the current system can't support a full digital rollout, but I know that in my neighborhood they layed fiber for most of the system and its just the connection to my house from the neighborhoods fiber drop that is copper. I have a feeling that this new fiber has plenty of bandwidth, and to get that to my house there are two options, run another copper cable, or change the encoding on the non analog frequencies to cram more data on the wire. As soon as we switch to "all digital" and SDTV support isn't required then they drop the analog portion and bam, more digital bandwidth.

Its been my contention that widespread high bandwidth wireless is bound to fail because there is only so much spectrum to broadcast on. Two way independant communication is going to be the toughest to handle, one way wide area broadcasts the easiest.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

OK, I am a painfully new noob, just starting to research the unit I want to buy. Can somebody please explain the differences between the HDVR2, the DSR7000, and the DSR704? I've been looking for the last two days, and all the specs I see seem to show they are the same units, except for color.

Quote Originally Posted by bagman
    OK, I am a painfully new noob, just starting to research the unit I want to buy. Can somebody please explain the differences between the HDVR2, the DSR7000, and the DSR704? I've been looking for the last two days, and all the specs I see seem to show they are the same units, except for color.
    This question has been answered in the Newbie forum countless times. All three are Series 2 DirecTiVos. The HDVR2 and DSR7000 are early versions, and identical except for cosmetics. The DSR704 is the current version, and contains slightly different circuitry. It is equivalent to the SD-DVR40.

Yes, all are hackable. No, one is not 'better' than the others.

PlainBill
    There's a difference between needing help, and just being plain ole' lazy.

"You cannot teach a man anything. You can only help him find it for himself." Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

HR20-700 with 2 TB, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR22-100, HR23-100 all running 0x5cd and networked.

Quote Originally Posted by bagman
    Not to poke at you, but its essential to bring up this point to keep the boards clean, but if you are a newb, with a known newb question, please post it on the newb forum that is provided.
    Malfunct

HDVR2 - 120hours - Extraction enabled
    SD-DVR40 - Unhacked (for now)

OK guys, I apologise for the gaffe, but I did look for places I thought appropriate, and this seemed to be a thread that would apply. I HAVE used the search function, but obviously not with the proper key words. Anyway, thanks for the info.