Thread: no bash on u5-151 install

no bash on u5-151 install

is this image supposed to have the bash work after a restore to a new drive? i restored the u5-151-hacked.mfs to a 60g drive. my direct tivo boots up and looks fine but i wanted to add more hacks. using hyperterm or teraterm i am unable to get a prompt thru the serial connection. i have tried the short out trick on the cable and it seems to be working.

Using the u5-151-hacked.mfs image -nkinfo

Originally posted by Fanuc
    is this image supposed to have the bash work after a restore to a new drive? i restored the u5-151-hacked.mfs to a 60g drive. my direct tivo boots up and looks fine but i wanted to add more hacks. using hyperterm or teraterm i am unable to get a prompt thru the serial connection. i have tried the short out trick on the cable and it seems to be working.
    First, I recommend you do some more reading and learn to install your OWN hacks (for exactly the reason - you have to ask what hacks are supposed to be working on the hacked.mfs image)

That said, read an informative story of one user's experience with this image, then post your problems/experiences there to keep them all in one place. See this thread for help.

Using the u5-151-hacked.mfs Image.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 11-23-2003 at 12:27 AM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

fanuc

I had the same problem (and I've upgraded two series 1s using the full, plodding step by step method successfully). I'm wondering if anyone has any idea why this might be the case, or if we only have lecturers here that want us to all become linux programmers?

There is no answer to this issue in that thread and the title to this thread seems more appropriate than extending that other thread.

Anyway, help please.

BTW - while I admire the efforts of Corbelli, his how to's are not the easiest or most intuitive to follow. I tried. Getting bash up is marginally explained.

Re: fanuc

Originally posted by joemonty
    I had the same problem (and I've upgraded two series 1s using the full, plodding step by step method successfully). I'm wondering if anyone has any idea why this might be the case, or if we only have lecturers here that want us to all become linux programmers?
    That really isn't necessary.

I don't expect every person that wants to hack their tivo to become a linux guru, and I have made it as easy as possible for the lay person to acomplish this. However, it is expected that you do a little research on your own. If you did you would know that the U5 hack is dead.

I also agree with NutKase in that there is NOTHING to ge gained by using that image and more frequently than not problems arise.

As far as the U5 guides go, they should be removed and people should stop hosting that image.

Also, how about showing a little respect to the elders on the board. Just because you don't like what youv'e been told does not mean that it's bad advice.

Sleeper

Elders

Thanks for the info, I've searched extensively and this is the 1st that I heard that the 'hacked' image was dead. I'm using it now, seems to work well. I did have to go back and manually install BASH-ENV, a pleasant experience.

As far as respect goes, its a two way street. Respect the children of the board and you'll earn their respect. Respect can only be dictated by the Vince Lombardi's of the world and those days are long gone.

You're post was non-caustic though, unlike many, and I appreciate that.