Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building MFS from scratch on an S2

someone asked that i post the mfs_export that i'd hacked to not show the "crc mismatch" errors; here it is:

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    someone asked that i post the mfs_export that i'd hacked to not show the "crc mismatch" errors; here it is:

ronny
    I'm not keen on silently ignoring errors. Might it not be better to just redirect stderr in the tcl script if you don't care about it, rather than changing mfs_export? Something like adding 2>>/tmp/mfs_export.stderr at the end of the exec line would do it. Then you could at least examine the errors afterwards.

A more important question is why you were seeing crc errors at all. Is there something broken in the crc checks in the tridge mfs library? Or was there something wrong with your loopsets?
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-30-2004 at 12:08 PM.

I've just tried to run the both the original and the modified mfs_export and i'm seeing the errors below.

Any suggestions?

Cheers
    David

Dumping object: 695/12
    Skipping visited object: 679/12
    Skipping visited object: 688/12
    Skipping visited object: 493/12
    invalid attribute: 0x2f0013
    while executing
    "dbobj $obj get $attr"
    (procedure "dump" line 43)
    invoked from within
    "dump $f $obj "{no parent}" 10 " ""
    ("uplevel" body line 19)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set obj [db $db open $x]
    set fsid [dbobj $obj fsid]
    set subid [dbobj $obj subobjid]

# this check is redundant but ..."
    ("foreach" body line 2)
    invoked from within
    "foreach x $list {
    RetryTransaction {
    set obj [db $db open $x]
    set fsid [dbobj $obj fsid]
    set subid [dbobj $obj subobjid]

# this che..."
    (file "resource_dump.tcl" line 155)
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02#

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack
    I've just tried to run the both the original and the modified mfs_export and i'm seeing the errors below.
    Why would that be an mfs_export issue?

Quote Originally Posted by davidblack

Any suggestions?
    I saw this too. The issue seems to be an attribute not in the schema.

Tivoweb:
    Code:
    Component 943/12 {
      ServerVersion  = 147
      Code           = 539/-1
      Name           = STARCAST
     (attribute 0x2f0013 not in schema)
      Type           = 2
      ServerId       = 371781
      Version        = 1
      IndexPath      = /Component/Type/2/STARCAST /Server/371781
    }
    mfs_dumpobj:
    Code:
    bash-2.02# mfs_dumpobj  943
    Component 943/12 PRIMARY {
            ServerVersion[9]=147
            Code[18]=539/-1
            Name[16]=STARCAST
            UNKNOWN[19]=1
            Type[17]=2
            ServerId[8]=371781
            Version[1]=1
            IndexPath[4]=/Component/Type/2/STARCAST /Server/371781
    }
    I wrapped a catch around the attr loop body in the dump proc to allow it to continue in spite of the bad attribute. Haven't yet tried to restore though.
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-30-2004 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I wrapped a catch around the attr loop body in the dump proc to allow it to continue in spite of the bad attribute. Haven't yet tried to restore though.
    Would you mind posting this modified version, this is the problem I encountered a while back as well and I had received no fix/response. Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Justin

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz312
    Would you mind posting this modified version, this is the problem I encountered a while back as well and I had received no fix/response. Your help is appreciated.
    Here's the deal: the fix was only tested as far as making sure the resource_script.tcl script will run. I have no idea if the resources.tgz is produces is still any good in the presence of these "caught" errors. There may be more work to do to be able to recreate these objects properly.

It was just a two line change. Rather than post the whole script, here's a "diff -u". You could apply this with patch, or just edit those two line changes in yourself. The body of the catch if should probably do something rather than be a noop as it is now. Note that catch will also catch the explict continues in the body of the loop in addition to the errors.
    Code:
    --- resource_dump.tcl	2003-11-25 19:10:14.000000000 -0700
    +++ resource_dump-jamie.tcl	2004-12-30 19:16:58.966536450 -0700
    @@ -65,7 +65,7 @@

puts $out "${prefix}set id_$myobj \[list \[dbobj \$$myobj fsid\] \[dbobj \$$myobj subobjid\]\]"

-  foreach attr [dbobj $obj attrs] {
    +  foreach attr [dbobj $obj attrs] { if [catch {
         set attrs [dbobj $obj get $attr]
         set atype [dbobj $obj attrtype $attr]
         set aindex 0
    @@ -107,7 +107,7 @@
           }
           incr aindex
         }
    -  }
    +  }] {} }
       return $myobj
     }
    Last edited by Jamie; 12-30-2004 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie
    I'm not keen on silently ignoring errors.
    neither am i, but i wanted to get past the damned error, and i'm very handy with hexedit.

i, too, wonder why there were errors; the loopsets all played fine with mplayer on my pc, and the tivo that i put them in (and took them from) are fine.

ronny

i don't know how many others are playing in this somewhat rarified air, but...

i've test-built these zero hour configs probably a total of 10 times now. one very interesting and perhaps crucial issue that i've run into: the finished product, be it the bone stock system right after the reboot following installsw.itcl or after any and all enhancements, cannot be backed up with mfstools without using "-Tao". well, specifically, you can backup, but the backup won't work.

i've tried "-f" values all the way up to 29999 with no luck. in every case, an assertion is thrown upon mounting mfs and the machine reboots. upon reboot, fsfix "fixes" the database, but the cure is worse than the disease, and if it works at all after that, the loopsets are gone and who knows what else doesn't work.

my first attempt with "Tao" seems to be working, with one oddity: while booting, the console displays this:
    Code:
    Checking new software installation
    Could not check software installation: can't open object (errDbNotFound)
    not sure if that's a big deal, and i can't recall if the original said that as well. it does get far enough along to display live tv, but as adh said, it doesn't last long; after some number of minutes, it segfaults badly and reboots. i put it on channel 490 and it seems ok for now.

so, if "Tao" is the only way to backup such a config, this would bode ill for a machine that's actually been expanded and has recordings. it would seem to mean that you can't make a working backup at that point. interesting.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    Checking new software installation
    Could not check software installation: can't open object (errDbNotFound)
    That's because /SwSystem/ACTIVE doesn't exist in an freshly initialized filesystem. It's normal.

so, if "Tao" is the only way to backup such a config, this would bode ill for a machine that's actually been expanded and has recordings. it would seem to mean that you can't make a working backup at that point. interesting.
    You shouldn't be using "-f" anyway. Maybe "-l 32" or something, but not "-f". MFS noobs need to stick with "-Ta". I would suspect this is an mfstools issue, since your top fsid is bounded by some number, but it is irrelevant because "-f" should not be used. If you want to back up your settings, make a script that dumps them to a file.

Also, the used_size fields on the tyStream inodes are not initialized properly, which could explains why things might break without "-T".

How do I unpack slice files

I made a mistake and issued a global delete on a mask and now I need tivoapp for 4.0.1b and i have the slice files and am wondering how to unpack a slice file to get this file back on my tivo

Thanks,

-PCP

Quote Originally Posted by packrat
    I made a mistake and issued a global delete on a mask and now I need tivoapp for 4.0.1b and i have the slice files and am wondering how to unpack a slice file to get this file back on my tivo

Thanks,

-PCP
    gzip -d <filename>.slice.gz
    readguide -f <filename>.slice
    # with series 2 stuff the filename often comes out as "1"
    # if its not "1" then use appropriate filename for following steps
    mv 1 1.gz
    gzip -d 1.gz
    cpio -id < 1 # this extracts the cpio archive into dirs.

If you try this with a seed tivo sw version 5.x and above (including 4.x?) in your rootfs, you wont be able to start the mfs daemon with switcherstart -m. TvLauncher now does that instead, but it is a real pain in the ass to get started manually (there are even more variables and other crap that need to be set for yet even more programs to run before MFS can be started.) The easiest way is to remove stages e, f, and g from the rc.sysinit script, and then just run the rc.sysinit normally.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 08-01-2005 at 12:06 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

hey, thanks a lot for the tool kit. I've been working on this for a couple days now (BASH_ENV was impossible to get working, so I just put my own rc.sysinit on there and make it only load ethernet and telnet. worked great). I built my first 0hour image last night, used 4.0.1b slices and made an image just doing the normal -6so. Came out to 76MB! very cool!. So I reimaged it onto my 40GB HD and it boots great and works fine on my HDVR2. But When I restored the image onto my DVR40 (and did RID hacks), I have no backgrounds! I did the resource_create script on a HDVR2.. does that matter? I'm currently trying to reinsert the 4.0 loopset slices on the dvr40, and if that doesn't work, i'll install it onto the other partition and see if that works.

You probably don't have the backgrounds because they weren't backed up. -6so won't backup the backgrounds from my experience.

When backing up a freshly created 0 hour image, I find the following setting to work weel and backup everything (in a small image)

Code:
    mfsbackup -9svao output.mfs /dev/hdX