Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building MFS from scratch on an S2

I'm try to use these scripts to insert on object. The object is created but the insert of the file fails and I have treid everything I know.
    Code:
    Tivo:/var/work> ./resource_create.tcl
    Creating object: /Resource/Image/aande-s1-p1
    creating stream of size 1: fsid 79424
    inserting stream aande-s1-p1 into fsid 79424
    importing fsid 79424 of size 4194304 from aande-s1-p1
    Done

crc mismatch len=33792 0x68bb8e3e 0x1ac898b9
        while executing
    "exec ./mfs_stdinsert $fsid $fname"
        (procedure "tyinsert" line 6)
        invoked from within
    "tyinsert $inserts"
        (file "./resource_create.tcl" line 6885)
    I tried the insert by havd and got the same error.
    Code:
    Tivo:/var/work> ./mfs_stdinsert 79424  aande-s1-p1
    crc mismatch len=33792 0x68bb8e3e 0x1ac898b9
    importing fsid 79424 of size 4194304 from aande-s1-p1
    Done
    I tried using a new mfs_import, but it does not look like I am using it correctly.
    Code:
    Tivo:/var/work> mfs_import 79424 aande-s1-p1
    recv error, falling back to read loop. : Socket operation on non-socket
    input stream truncated early:  0 out of 4194304 bytes received
    Any Ideas?

Nevermind my last post.. I think I found another way to do it from looking at the bufferhack. Any comments are welcome.

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh
    set db [dbopen]
    RetryTransaction {
        set name "aande-s1-p1"
        set logo [db $db open /Resource/Image/$name]
        set logoid [dbobj $logo get File]
        set newlogo [ToMfs $name]
        puts "Loading $name  into FSID $logoid"
        dbobj $logo set File $newlogo
    }
    dbclose $db

Quote Originally Posted by TivoWare
    I tried using a new mfs_import, but it does not look like I am using it correctly.
    Code:
    Tivo:/var/work> mfs_import 79424 aande-s1-p1
    recv error, falling back to read loop. : Socket operation on non-socket
    input stream truncated early:  0 out of 4194304 bytes received
    Any Ideas?
    The 'recv error,..." message is not truly an error. You're going to see it anytime you are reading from a file rather than a socket. I special cased the socket case because I found that using recv was faster than read since it can read a larger chunk in a single system call (read returns no more than the MTU size in each call). The process still exits with a zero exit status, but it does still write to stderr. I should probably just take that message out, but in the meantime, redirect stderr to a file or /dev/null so that tcl won't cough.

The truncated early message implies that your source file is a zero length file.

Note that I'm currently in the middle of reworking the resource_dump stuff to get it to work with 7.1. Turns out that the 7.1 tivosh does not seem to allow more than 60 open objects in a transaction, and this breaks both resource_dump.tcl and the resource_create.tcl it produces. The Sports Genre seems to be the first place where it runs into that limit. I have workarounds for that, but I haven't completed testing yet.

Tried the resource_dump.tcl (w/Jamie's mod) on a HR10-250 (3.1.5f) and root filled up (script bombed). 256MB root. After experimenting with doing part of the collection at a time it looked like the problem was fitting all the uncompressed resources, plus the resource_create.tcl script, plus the archive. So I wiped the alt root, created a blank fs with mke2fs, mounted it, and hacked the script to write the archive and resource_create script there. Worked fine.

Jamie did you ever get anywhere with getting this going on 7.1?

Quote Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post
    Jamie did you ever get anywhere with getting this going on 7.1?
    Yeah, here's what I have. I did this sometime back, but it works with all 6.x and 7.x versions, AFAIK. Here's the Changelog entries:
    2005-07-23 <Jamie@DDB>

* Use smaller transactions to work around limits in 7.x on the number of objects open in a transaction.

* Use latest mfs-utils mfs_uberexport and mfs_import binaries.

* Replace the bootpage in the freshly_initialized_mfs_s2.mfs image so it is usable with newer PROM's (remove netboot image name.)

* Reorder dumped directories to try to get low fsid's for tystreams

* Ignore attributes missing from schema.

Jamie (or anyone else), I noticed that your resource_dump-20050723.tgz file did not include this tweak from Riley:

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105 View Post
    change line 5 of support.tcl from

set fsid [mfs streamcreate 131072 $y]

to

set fsid [mfs streamfill 131072 $y]

and used size will equal allocated size
    Was that intentional? Is it a recommended change, or is there a downside to this? Just wondered.

6.3?

Using the great information in this thread, I've successfully built several images from scratch for both SA and combo units (from 4.0.1b to 8.1a), but am having trouble successfully building a 6.3c image. I'm able to build a stock image using my own extracted resources and using [what I'm fairly sure are known, valid] resource slices. In both instances, the resultant image boots fine on a dsr704, but crashes on an HR10-250.

On the hr10-250, tivoapp crashes with a "Activity TvRecorderActivity <256> strayed!" error, and I've attached a relevant snippet of the bootlog.

Just wondering if anyone had run into this before, as my searches only turned up FOX OTA audio issues (which I thought were ironed out with 6.3c).

Some more (possibly) relevant information:
    - happen to be using a 7.1b root image (with rc.sysinit neutered to halt at sysinit stage D) to build mfs.
    - needed to export SerialNumber (as '/tvbin/crypto -gsn') to satiate updateroot
    - resultant image has no hacks--completely stock, kernel and all.
    - no usb adapter attached
    - no sat or OTA inputs connected

Any input is appreciated. Other than varying the root image used to build mfs, attempting to build a precursor 3.1.5 image, and tracing through tivoapp a bit; I'm out of ideas.
    Last edited by tivo4mevo; 04-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.

I have a hunch that a 7.2 root image might work.

6.3x seems to be more closely related to 7.2. (The Tivo-brand Wireless G driver in 6.3x.)

There's a 7.2.2 mfs image here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=917

(6.3x is probably based on 7.2 or 7.2.1, because the Linksys USB200M v2 driver that was added in 7.2.2 is not in 6.3x...)

It has been a long time since I've looked at this, but it may be that my "ignore attributes missing from schema" change, together with an incompatible base OS version could be leaving things out of MFS that are needed on the hr10-250 hardware.

Thanks for the helpful ideas, I believe that not expanding MFS was what caused the hr10-250 to crash before it fully booted.

ADH had warned not to run a zero hour unit. I never had trouble (with an SD, zero hour unit) so long as I tuned live TV to blank channels, but it appears necessary to obey that warning for the hr10-250 (and perhaps for a S3 as well?).

drez, I think you're correct about the closest common SA ancestor of 6.3c. 6.3c generates inapplicable upgrade messages named "721_..", another piece of evidence that they forked 6.3 from the SA line at 7.2.1.

Since you got it working, how about uploading your 6.3c image to www.mediafire.com and sharing it in the Backup Image and Slice thread?

(No registration required to download or upload to mediafire and the file will stay up forever. Unlike rapidshare, there's no wait to download the file and the downloads are faster than rapidshare too.)

Can a brotha get a link?

Quote Originally Posted by alldeadhomiez View Post
    A long time ago, d18c7db (evil_alex) posted instructions on how to use the fsmake and load-all.tcl utilities bundled with SA software v1.3 to construct an arbitrarily small (or large) MFS partition from scratch...
    Apparently my google-fu isn't strong or sophisticated enough for something that obscure. Would you happen to have a link to those instructions?
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by unitron View Post
    Apparently my google-fu isn't strong or sophisticated enough for something that obscure. Would you happen to have a link to those instructions?
    Here is a reference to an older post. The referenced link to http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/d18c7db/TiVo-Restore.htm is broken but the wayback machine has it: http://web.archive.org/web/200212121...Vo-Restore.htm
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

I've been playing around with this script on 11.0k, and found that the subobject attribute is not handled, so I patched it accordingly.

I also added code to identify and handle handle both tystreams and tyfiles separately. This includes importing them only once, and then just referencing the file as needed.

In addation, I believe the solution to "Nagging question" number one:
    1) How do you adjust the "used" tystream size? mfs_stdinsert does not do this so I need to use mfsbackup -T to correctly back up the inserted streams. Edit: this appears to be part of the mfs inode structure, but nobody knows of a safe way to change it.
    Is to export the loopsets as slices, using the modified version of jt1134's dump_loopsets.tcl posted here.
    Attached Files Attached Files