Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This sucks bad

This sucks bad

I am about to throw this tivo against the wall. No matter what i do i can't get bash to work. I followed cobellis guide and the drive powers up in the tivo and asks for my access card. Then i try to get bash thro hyper term thats built into win98. I try to get the echo by using a piece of wire and it doesn't work all the time. only if i rub the wire around the tip. I am using the serial wire from 9th Tee.

Any ideas on what i should do to get this bash to work? I hook up the cable to pc serial port, power on pc, plug the cable to tivo, then power on tivo. I never get the message when it gets to the almost done screen. I left it run for 30 minutes and never got a message in bash.

Do you have the baud rate set for 115200? You may need to set up the serial port for the correct transfer rate or you're never get a bash prompt. Change the settings and, place the cursor in the terminal window, and click the left mouse button to make it active in the window. You should then get a prompt when you press the Enter key.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I can really relate....I have tried 10 times..following cobellis how to to a tee!! I tried it with image 3.1U5..I tried it with image 3.1.o (adding the U5 kernel) I tried it with image 3.1.1b all with no bash!! I used cable from 9th tee also...I get echo when I touch the tip and first ring with metal..but when I plug this peice of ----- in ....NO BASH!!!!!! I could scream right now!!!! I feel like a real *****!! maybe I cannot acheive bash using images I download from twin brothers and tivostuff.com I am in shock!! but I lost my original back up..it wont boot when I try to restore it (whats new!!!!) everything I have done with this stupid HDVR2 has been a struggle!! where are my meds? I think I am going crazy!!

I struggled with my Tivo for 13 hours straight before fully understanding how it worked. First went through monte with Cobelli until I realized the files were incomplete. Then tried the BASH method with no success. I then found on tivostuff, the montefiles and then checked out the monte guide again and successfully did it. Then forgot a couple of chmod commands. After about 20 round trips of putting the Tivo HDD into the TV and my computer, I finally got it.

I say use the monte method by Cobelli but also make sure you get all the files you need.

yeah. I'm still trying. I had to go out for dinner with the wife to take a break. I have a felling I'm going to be struggling quite a bit with this. I still need to figure out how to add the other untalked about hacks. Like using an HU and Fix Sub. I swear I've read more last night and today than i have all 12 years in school. Everytime i run into a problem i try and search, but the down side is the search usually returns about 50 results and most are numerous pages. This is why I really do appreciate it when people reply back with an answer rather than saying do a search. I always try to search first. But its not always the answer to your problem.

Anyhow back to the tivo. I'm sure you guys will be hearing from me again soon.

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing the same thing as you are..HU and all..I tried cobelli instructions on monte...eveything was going fine until I got to the 3.1U5.root file (which was not there) I hate instructions that are wrong..oh well ..back to square one....maybe my next try will be the sleeper IS0..but I dont have clear instruction on what to do with his ISO either...I'm not sure how to load/copy it onto the tivo hard drive..or for that matter where to copy it to. He made it sound like you could use his ISO all by itself with no image...but when I downloaded it it was only 20 some megs...how can this me the complete image / kernel / FS ? go figure...I'm soooo confused right now I'm dizzzzzzyyyy. even if I went the sleeper ISO route..would I be able to perform hack that are not included in his software? if so, will his software give me BASH prompt? if anyone reads this and can give us some advice.. we would really appreciate it. no matter what happens freakitfreakit ...I wont forget you if I figure this out. I will help you if I ever find the way.

You could easily puss out and take the Sleeper method but you won't learn anything. I did at first but had no idea how to add hacks so decided to do monte again.

If you read above you'd know that monte by Cobelli is complete, you just got to complete the files. Get the montefiles.zip I think from tivostuff.

I spent 13 hours cause I tried monte at first and thought they were incomplete, then to bash like at least 3 times. Then I did Sleeper's but had no clue on how to install more hacks. Then went to monte again after doing a little more research and finding those monte files. Then a couple of more user errors with monte and booooooooom, working. And yea, I got the HU hack with the nocall hack working as well.

It does take a long time if you want to learn it yourself but I think it is very rewarding. Time to find some more hacks to use, I'm just happy I got it going and am kinda scared of touching it lol.

A little tip for you guys. If you want to save some time, an error I came up with was forgetting to set permissions.

For instance if you touch the rs.sysinit.author file, you need to set it to be able to execute, just do a
    chmod 777 /mnt/tivo/etc/rc.d/rc.sysedit.author

I forgot this and had to bring the drive back to my comp and fix it since I couldn't bash in. I'll be around to help you guys also if you have any questions.

Red face

I downloaded the montestuff.zip ...but as I look at cobelli incomplete instructions..I dont see where, when, and how to intergrate all the montestuff files with my 3.1.0 software I am running on my HDVR2. Right now I have gotten to the step with cobelli's instruction where you need the 3.1.U5.root file (which is not on my disk2) I have spent almost all my time trying to get the bash_env...I dont know much about monte... I think I will need someone to step me through this monte process, basically talk to me like a baby!!! lol I have not been weened off the bottle yet.
    I really do appreciate your time and efforts pkpss

I say use the monte method by Cobelli but also make sure you get all the files you need.
    This is not the monte hack but rather the BASH_ENV hack. You guys need to do a bit more reading on the subject. On another note, don't get discouraged if you don't get your Tivo hacked the 1st, 2nd or even 10th time through. The best piece of advice I can give is to be patient and take your time. Double and triple-check all of your typed entires before you press the Enter key because the entire process can get hosed by one little typo. Pay particular attention to all of the punctuation symbols and make sure you're entering the correct ones. Spacing is extremely important as well as capitalization since Linux is case sensitive.

I downloaded the montestuff.zip ...but as I look at cobelli incomplete instructions..I dont see where, when, and how to intergrate all the montestuff files with my 3.1.0 software I am running on my HDVR2.
    And you won't see where they are integrated for the exact reason I gave above. I put together a How To using the montestuff.zip files in the series 2 hacking forum.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

OK, to replace Cobelli's files with montefiles, try this.

Follow his guide and change the following.

3.1.u5.kernel.img should be U5kern.img

3.1.u5.root.img should be U5fs.img

3.1.0.kernal.img should be 311bkern2.img

OK, to replace Cobelli's files with montefiles, try this.

Follow his guide and change the following.

3.1.u5.kernel.img should be U5kern.img

3.1.u5.root.img should be U5fs.img

3.1.0.kernal.img should be 311bkern2.img
    This won't work since you're mixing apples and oranges. Forget about using the montestuff files with Cobelli's guide. They are two different hacks, although monte is based on the BASH_ENV hack but takes it much further and is much more stable.

It worked for me, I checked your guide out and Cobelli's and compared the two and they had minor differences.

Hey thanks..I will give it a try...... I'm greatful are those the only 3 files I need to burn from the montestuff.zip?

Also replace the killinitrd file with the one in the zip. Before you try anything (if you want to save time and only have one computer) run through the guide real quick and make sure you have all the necessary files. After looking it over real quick, I think those are all you need.

I like your style pkpss...thanks again my friend