Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: utv 3.7 code

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbob25
    Please, for the sake of keeping these forums a bit organized, don't flood your questions. Posting it in one thread will do.

well if you call a few questions in a whole day flooding...sorry....its amazing how i say thank u and its so well received

So if I have a 3.5 image do I just hook up my new drive to an ide cable after the computer is running and use winhex to copy the 3.5 image to the new drive?? Or do I have to reboot the computer with the new drive installed and and hit pause enter then run winhex .

whynodss -

I wasn't trying to be mean, and I'm sorry you took it that way...I was simply saying that when you have a question, please just post your question one time in one thread, rather than posting the exact same question in 3 or 4 different threads...that's all...nothing more, nothing less.

As for your question about zeroing out your drive pulled a win98 machine, there are two ways of doing it. First, you can create a boot disk and run the MHD3 program from DOS, or you can simply start winhex and fill the drive with 00's. Just choose offset 0 as the start of your block and the last offset as the end of your block. Then just copy over the OS. You also want to unplug the drive BEFORE shutting down the computer if you are running Windows 2000 or XP. This whole procedure is described in great detail at

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=herculito

This is also why I'm such an advocate about not posting your questions in multiple threads...when a new user wants to find information, it becomes nearly impossible when it's spread out across 25 threads, as this topic has. Again, I'm not trying to be mean.

nononothing -

We need a little bit more detail to accurately answer your question. What OS are you running? Is it a brand new hard drive? Has it ever been in a UTV?

If the drive is not new, but has never been in another UTV, then simply follow my steps and link above to empty it, as it is not locked, there's nothing else special that needs to be done.

If the drive is not new, and has come out of another UTV unit, then you must either 00 out the hard drive using MHD3 as stated above, or you must use the hot swap method to gain access to your hard drive. Both of these procedures are covered in great detail in other threads.

If the drive is new, then there's nothing special that needs to be done, as the drive is already empty and not locked. Just put the drive in your computer and follow the steps as outlined in my link above.

whynodss
    If you have Win2k you don't have to do the pause trick...
    Just hot swap your drive with the computer running, then go to device manager and do a search for new hardware.. it will see the drive and away you go.

slave

Quote Originally Posted by klassic
    whynodss
    If you have Win2k you don't have to do the pause trick...
    Just hot swap your drive with the computer running, then go to device manager and do a search for new hardware.. it will see the drive and away you go.

what if the drive is locked and i am using it as a slave drive...i have tried and it doesnt recognize it..i will try again

Don't use it as a slave....
    Take an IDE cable from your CDrom

You can't use a locked drive... you have to hotswap it first. If it is already out of the UTV you will have to use MHD3 to zero it, then hook it up to the computer's IDE... in MASTER.

If you are having trouble making a bootable floppy.....
    If you can get your hands on a Win95/98/ME startup disk, you could load MHD3 on that and run it from the directory (a:\>dir) after the computer has booted with the startup disk. e.g a:\>MHD3.exe

I will be using a brand new WD 80 gig model WD800JBRTL3. My OS is XP pro

Which number do I type in for the start sector 631811, or sector 09a403 ??

Start at 631811