Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all TiVo gurus! (cali, greek, et all)

Unhappy Calling all TiVo gurus! (cali, greek, et all)

I’ve got a DSR6000 – with 2 40gig drives (that were just laying around). I’m experiencing the hang during ‘updating database’. After 3 hours, I finally pulled the plug. Been reading the posts, and was hoping my modem was fried. Removed the modemtest from tvbin (both hda4 and hda7) and still stuck at ‘almost there’.

I think I saw cali post “If you got bash, and a hardware problem, I can almost guarantee I can fix it.”

I reallllly hoping somebody can help me.

Attached are kernel and tvlog log files – if anybody needs anymore info - please ask!

TIA

Talking More logs

here's tvlog

Talking More logs

here's tvlog

(sorry about duplicate post!)
    Last edited by gjb13; 12-01-2003 at 05:27 PM.

Where did this come from? I assume this is not a tivo you had. Pop the cover and look behind the phone plug for any visible burning or missing fried chips. And then look behind the tuners at U37 and U38(in tiny white letters) they are the only 2 small black chips behind the tuners, look for any missing legs or burnt up chip............

This is a unit I’ve had up and running for over a year. Decided to take 5 minutes and add the second 40 gig drive. After I blessed it, the unit didn’t register the extra space, so I decide to start from scratch.

I check for physical damage – nothing apparent by the phone hook jack or either of the 2 tuner chips (u37 – 38).

Everything worked fine when I started (I didn’t need the extra 40 gig this bad!)

Does the log file tell you anything?

I'm certainly not a hardware expert. I do see this in your kernel.log:

etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: [: missing `]'

Did you edit your rc.sysinit file? It seems like it's missing a ] somewhere. Can you get a backup rc.sysinit? If not, try a fresh install of someones tivo software (or xtreme)

just a thought

-lloyd-
    SA-2000 Sony 80 Hours w/ tivonet
    SA-2000 Sony 30 Hours w/ turbonet
    SD-H400 Toshiba 80 Hours

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo

I check my rc.sysinit file and found a bracket mis-match at the end of the file (good catch lmurray). I've never edited the file - must be noise from upload / cd burn(?).

Can someone tell me what it's supposed to be?

if [ -e /etc/SubTest]; then
    if [ -x /tvbin/fixsub.tcl]; then
    echo "Surgeon's Sub Test" > /etc/SubTest
    /tvbin/fixsub.tcl
    fi
    fi

[ ! -f /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author ] || /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author

echo "rc.sysinit is complete"

Thanks!!

actualy, that last line does have a matching right bracket - so, I didn't find a bracket mis-match

I looked around and found (what I think is) a missing surface mount resistor. The (really bad) picture is supposed to be showing you the line of resistors on the mother board where that plastic ribbon power cable connects. The third from the right is missing!!

When I measure resistance between the two pads I see about 3.2k

Is it supposed to look like this? How do I find out what’s supposed to be there?

(If I dropped the hard drive carriage, it would land right about there.)

Any ideas?

there is supposed to be a ceramic resistor there, it looks like you have half of one. Thats the 5 volt line I beleive, have to check specs for sure. Regardless, if its not a normal looking resistor like the other ones, thats the start of trouble. Usually if your missing 5 or 12 volt you wont have initialization. Resistance isnt the issue here, its the line voltage. Those peices "clean" the voltage to said part, and actually conduct it. Certain parts of the board will not pass voltage on down the line without it, others will. There definitely should be a full piece there though, I dont think that spot will progress without it.....

EDIT: I took another look at the pic and thats the 30 volt line for sure, I was thinking upside down, I beleive thats C256. The previous owner may have removed it because of a short, to free up the line. That would make your tuners susseptable to break down. Pop the covers off of both tuners, and see if the large chip with the aluminum slit resting on it has any visible damage to it, look on BOTH tuners..........
    Last edited by GREEK; 12-02-2003 at 12:05 AM.

Originally posted by GREEK
    EDIT: I took another look at the pic and thats the 30 volt line for sure, I was thinking upside down, I beleive thats C256. The previous owner may have removed it because of a short, to free up the line. That would make your tuners susseptable to break down. Pop the covers off of both tuners, and see if the large chip with the aluminum slit resting on it has any visible damage to it, look on BOTH tuners..........
    nah, the tuner(s) is kaput....100%. Best bet is to measure thet 30V to gnd resistance. Remove tuners one @ a time until it comes back up.

Where did U get this unit from??

I got the unit orignially from ebay. Have had it for over a year. Everything was working before I started the '5 minute' upgrade.

I'm away from the unit right now... How do I measure 30v to gnd resistance (what pin - where the resistor seems to be missing?)?

I assume if one or more tuners are bad, they can be replaced? (Are tuners socketed?) Where can I order them? Big $$$? And still need to fix that resistor, right?

I appreciate all the help!!

Popped the covers off of both tuners - and there's no obvious damage.

C256 is a 0.1uf capacitor?

a better pic of missing componet @ power cable

pic of tuner (second one looks about the same)