Thread: New Tivo User

New Tivo User

Nice forum here,
    I've been reading for a few weeks now (my eyes are burning as a matter of fact).
    Anyway, I read and I had to have a Tivo!
    So I bought one today. A Tivo Unit-model number TCD140060 Series 2 Original standalone unit.
    Now, I sort of have the concept down for an upgrade however, I think for now I will stick with the 60GB hardrive. I just want to use it with my directv and regular cable.
    Now for the questions:
    I live in Canada so I have no access to sign up for a "lifetime membership", how can I "acquire " the guides from directv?
    I don't really want to use this unit as an "expensive manually controlled VCR"
    I would like to "unlock" the full potential" of this unit and then upgrade to a bigger hard drive later.
    Can you still use this unit if I can't subscribe? Can I pause live TV etc.?
    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
    I know: read,read,read!!!!
    But I can't find the answer for these questions?
    Thanks in advance,
    alm

I think you may have more luck here...

http://www.tivocanada.com/

While most aspects of Tivo hacking are discussed here, there is very little about generating guide data and won't be able to get it directly from Tivo or DirecTV.

Originally posted by fixn278
    I think you may have more luck here...

http://www.tivocanada.com/

While most aspects of Tivo hacking are discussed here, there is very little about generating guide data and won't be able to get it directly from Tivo or DirecTV.
    it should be noted that we are not adverse to having guide data generation discussion here. stealing the data from tivo is not appropriate, but making your own is fair game. the biggest reason why tivocanada chose to stay away from DDB is that they want to limit their membership to those outside the US and the UK, since they want you to pay for the tivo service if its at all possible. we here at ddb feel that there are numerous good reasons to generate your own guide data, so discuss away on that topic.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

I went to tivocanada, and read the whole document that was there, it only covers series 1 philips.
    Does the same apply to series 2?

Mrblack:
    I understand the forums standing on stealing, I am not meaning to steal anything. i am just trying to get a better understanding on how to use this thing outside of the US. My take from reading is that the tivo will not work properly if phone line and subscription are not active.
    Me being in the great white north, I can't access sub. I wish I could, I'd just subscribe.
    Anyway,
    I guess I'm going to have to buy a linux for dummies book, because what I read at tivocanada reads like chinese to me, I understand the concept but not the language.

its for all series 1s not sure about 2.......

People have reported success using the information at tivocanada on the series 2.
    -- Dennis

100 Hr Series 2 (development) Lifetime
    120 Hr Series 2 DTiVo (mine) Zipper-ed
    120 Hr Series 2 DTiVo (wife's) Zipper-ed
    120 Hr Series 2 DVD-RW (wife's) unhacked