Thread: multi-switch

multi-switch

Hi I'm living in this apartment that has directv and it only sends one connection to the room. I want to be able to use both tuners on my ultimate tv so is there a way to split one signal into two? I've seen 2x4 and 2x8 but thats about it.

Nope. You need two lines to feed a multiswitch. There is technology to combine the signal from two lines to one and back to two (stacking) but it's expensive and I am assuming you don't have access to the dish.

if the signal is already split into 4...can i get 2 of those and run it into another switch?

It depends. If it is a regular 4 way multiswitch that connects to a round dish, then yes. If it is a multi-sat dish, then the answer is probably no, but I am not sure.

Originally posted by moneyshotz
    if the signal is already split into 4...can i get 2 of those and run it into another switch?
    Yes, but the outputs will be 101 only.

Google keywords: how multiswitch works

Originally posted by David Bought
    Yes, but the outputs will be 101 only.

Google keywords: how multiswitch works
    So you're saying a 2x or 3x multiswitch cascaded off of a 4x or 5x multiswitch will pass along the 101 sat properly and not cause any issues back on the multi-sat switch?

Originally posted by fixn278
    So you're saying a 2x or 3x multiswitch cascaded off of a 4x or 5x multiswitch will pass along the 101 sat properly and not cause any issues back on the multi-sat switch?
    pretty much. the only real issue is if you are cascading multiswitches, and none are passing power through. i have done the exact thing that is suggested - IE: 4x4, with 2 outputs going into a 2x8. the 2x8 is 101 only. if you have a 4x4, and you want all the sats, then the only thing you can really do is replace the switch with a bigger one. there are some fancy ways you can use high frequency splitters and such, but that is more complex.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

is it possible to combine a basic cable signal and a satellite signal with a diplexor and then split the two signals somehow when it gets into a house/apartment?

Originally posted by moneyshotz
    is it possible to combine a basic cable signal and a satellite signal with a diplexor and then split the two signals somehow when it gets into a house/apartment?

Thats exactly what i did at my mothers house.

using 2 diplexers
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

If it's an analog cable signal then yes.

A 3x8 multiswitch has an antenna input that will allow you to distribute the analog signal to each of the outputs and split the signals with diplexers.

Originally posted by tytyty
    Thats exactly what i did at my mothers house.

using 2 diplexers
    Yes, it must have be miserable for you to live in her basement without TV.

Originally posted by David Bought
    Yes, it must have be miserable for you to live in her basement without TV.

30 years ago, if we had basements I would have.

Thank you for your input
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.