Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powering up issue w/dsr6000

Powering up issue w/dsr6000

Hey folks, I'm new here but I've read my rear off before posting, so if I've missed something I apologize

The Beginning:
    Used DSR6000 for sale on ebay known to not get past first "Welcome. Powering Up". Purchased it and received a drive that rattled when I removed it.

The Middle:
    So I bought a Maxtor 160gb w/8mb cache. D/L'ed the 25extreme for my machine and burnt the ISO to disc. Rebooted w/my CD-Rom as the primary master and the Maxtor as my secondary master. Loaded 2.5 extreme w/out issue. Ran TivoMad w/out issue. ran boot_parm hdc 1.

The End?
    So I'm still stuck at "Welcome. Powering Up". I swapped out the IDE cable with a new 80 wire and a new 40 wire. Then tried every jumper and cable configuration w/both cables.

Still stuck and not sure where to go from here.

Thanks

I know it sounds like a standard issue answer, but many have had luck cleaning and reseating the white cable that runs between the power supply and motherboard. Give it a shot and don't fry yourself... the power supply can hold a good jolt of power even after being unplugged...

Hadn't then, have now

Thanks for the tip. Like I said, I read a lot, I may have just missed that one.

Unfortunately, still no love from the Tivo

probably the next stop is servicedvr.com or the like. i have a dsr6k that has the same problem, and i just have it in a closet. i'll send it in someday i suppose...

ronny

Re: Hadn't then, have now

Originally posted by Radams58
    Thanks for the tip. Like I said, I read a lot, I may have just missed that one.

Unfortunately, still no love from the Tivo
    Try an unexpanded virgin image first with runideturbo=false.

Thx for the responses

I appreciate the rapid and concise feedback, but I do have a remaining question or 2.

First, I'm PRAYING this thing doesn't need to go back. Never had a piece of harware flat out collapse and still show a picture (So I've got hope)

Second, the only drive I have handy is the 160 gig. is there a link or a quickie set of instructions on how NOT to use the whole drive w/extreme?

Or should I run a non extreme image first?

Thanks

Re: Thx for the responses

I appreciate the rapid and concise feedback, but I do have a remaining question or 2.

First, I'm PRAYING this thing doesn't need to go back. Never had a piece of harware flat out collapse and still show a picture (So I've got hope)

Second, the only drive I have handy is the 160 gig. is there a link or a quickie set of instructions on how NOT to use the whole drive w/extreme?

Or should I run a non extreme image first?

Thanks
    Retry without running tivomad first, and if that doesn't work try it without extreme or tivomad. Eliminate all of the possible culprits, and turn off ideturbo on a non-quantum drive.

Further testing reveals..

That I'm still not getting any love from the little black box.

Tried all the configurations that I can think of and ran through Bought's list.

I could've sworn I saw something about adjusting a potentieometer at some point but I can't seem to find that link.

The hard drive is clicking like it's trying to read something, but that's all I get.

That and the Welcome. Powering Up nonsense

Thx again

Re: Further testing reveals..

That I'm still not getting any love from the little black box.

Tried all the configurations that I can think of and ran through Bought's list.

I could've sworn I saw something about adjusting a potentieometer at some point but I can't seem to find that link.

The hard drive is clicking like it's trying to read something, but that's all I get.

That and the Welcome. Powering Up nonsense

Thx again
    there is a potentiometer on the power supply that can be tweaked to adjust voltages. welome powering up (assuming the drive is properly imaged, connected, and such) can be caused by a number of hardware problems. greek is the guy on repairs in that case.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

How would I go about contacting

Greek?

Uhm, what would be the best way to go about contacting him?

I'd rather not be the jackoff newbie PM'ing him. Is there a best method for contacing him?

Thanks again, I'm feeling kinda stupid paying 350 + new HD for a box that just shows a gray screen

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm still trying, just running out of options.

Re: How would I go about contacting

Greek?

Uhm, what would be the best way to go about contacting him?

I'd rather not be the jackoff newbie PM'ing him. Is there a best method for contacing him?

Thanks again, I'm feeling kinda stupid paying 350 + new HD for a box that just shows a gray screen

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm still trying, just running out of options.
    thats one of the problems with buying a unit off ebay, especially one that isnt listed as working properly. basically, you bought a known not working unit, so it was kinda dumb to pay that much for it. greek is your best bet for getting it fixed, a pm is the best way to contact him AFAIK.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Yeah, I'm not quite that bright

Thx for the heads up, I'll PM Greek and irritate him

Yeah I just screwed this all up, I'm a flipping retard.

Oh and just for kicks it was shipped wrapped in newspaper, the front face plate is pretty much trashed.

Ahh life is good.

Just a hair more help

I'd like to try and comment out the modem check from the rc.sysinit file, BUT I have a couple of questions first.

1) I'm pulling the Tivo drive and mounting via
    mkdir Sys9
    mount /dev/hdc9 /Sys9

2) The problem is that the only place I'm seeing rc.sysinit is in the #hack folder. Shoudln't it be in the ETC folder?

3) what lines need to be commented to kill the modem test?

Thanks sorry to be a pain

Rob

Two major things with welcome screen, and Mr. Bought hit it on the head. You kinda missed it, and Mr. Blacks advice too.
    The #1 problem I see with welcome screen is the runideturbo problem, especially with nonstock drives. I will assume you know how to install xtrme25 and you can handle that. Take your drive and image fresh, but DONT use mfsadd, the part where it asks if your drive is larger than 40 gigs, answer no. COntinue til the end, and before you control, alt, delete, type this.......

# edit_bootparms hd? -i

the ? is the drive location yoiu used intslling xtreme, either b, c, or d. You will then get another # prompt, and your done. Do the control alt thing and take the drive out. Now, reseat your IDE ribbon cable, (both ends) and reseat the power cable off the supply, and onto the drive(unit off). Power on and give it a solid 4-5 minutes to initiate, Ive seen them take this long b4. If that doesnt work, take the ribbon cable that came new with your drive(or a positive good one) and replace the tivo one with that. THen try. ALSO, I skipped over the jumpers part. Before you do any of this, go to the manufacturers site, and find the tech data on your drive. PRINT that out, (the pics with jumper settings) and configure the drive for maste first, then if no go, try with cable select. DOnt confuse the setting swith the 2gig cap some drives offer on their drives. When dealing with a problem machine, you must have patience, and attempt all variations of advice given............

EDIT: the only thing a modem would have to do with this, is occasionally the modem controller on U13 has a hard short and will prevent a startup, sticking on welcome screen. Not very common, but does happen. If all else fails, inspect the board behind the phone plug, for visible damge or burning. Must look very carefully, flashlight and magnifying glass work well for this.........this problem and ide initialization circuit require prefessional repairs...........
    Last edited by GREEK; 12-11-2003 at 11:55 PM.

Oh the humanity

Thx for all the input folks, between last night and this morning I've tested the following configurations:

A) Maxtor 160gb -> 25xtreme -> no mfsadd -> edit_bootparms hdc -i -> Original IDE Cable -> Master Connector of cable -> Master Jumper on Maxtor

b) Maxtor 160gb -> 25xtreme -> no mfsadd -> edit_bootparms hdc -i -> Original IDE Cable -> Master Connector of cable -> Cable Select Jumper on Maxtor

c) Maxtor 160gb -> 25xtreme -> no mfsadd -> edit_bootparms hdc -i -> Original IDE Cable -> Slace Connector of cable -> Master Jumper on Maxtor

d) Maxtor 160gb -> 25xtreme -> no mfsadd -> edit_bootparms hdc -i -> Original IDE Cable -> Slace Connector of cable -> Cable Select on Maxtor

I have tried these configurations with the original IDE cable, a known good 80 wire cable, and a known good 40 wire cable.

Each attempt was given 10 min to get past the original screen.

None succeeded. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Thanks, Rob