Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UTV Preview Mode

UTV Preview Mode

FYI - I have also posted this issue on the AVS forum. You can find that thread here:

AVS Thread

I successfully upgraded my UTV with a 120GB Seagate hard drive yesterday. Everything is working great with one big exception. My UTV is in preview mode and won't let me watch more than 10 minutes of each recorded program. I have been a paid subscriber to the UTV service since March 2001. I called DirecTV and they said they sent the issue to their engineering department and they will be looking into it. They also indicated that a "few others" were having this same problem.

Is anyone in this forum having this problem currently or have you had this problem in the past? If so, were you able to fix it without DirecTV's intervention? If not, I guess I'll have to wait patiently until a fix is available.

How did you apply the OS

Assuming you are using Version 3.7 OS did you apply it manually using winhex or have the unit "phone home"?

I used a brand new, out of the box hard drive and I had the unit "phone home". I had to use my own ISP to get it to download all 297 parts. After it downloaded all parts, I had version 3.7.

My suggestion

would be to try and apply the 3.7 OS via winhex. Follow Herculitos post and apply the 3.7 OS at the same place it educates you to apply the 3.5 OS. However to do that you need a clean version of 3.7 (at Tivo Stuff I believe) and a full copy of winhex (not eval). Howver if the above does not appeal to you I would try and redownload the 3.7 OS again.

C&P - Jenny Code

7. Jenny code - supposedly completely resets the entire unit. Perhaps that would allow a "fresh"
    download of the OS. The Jenny code is option(menu 2x)+8675309 (like the old song).
    If you use it, this will wipe out ALL settings and recordings on your unit. ( I found this to be not completely true, although it will cause the unit to request a phone-line based software update) History reamains after this one.

My experience with tech's saying we will look into it and get back to you is very bad. Thats just me. Also based on the fact that the UTV is a discontinued piece of hardware that is still "supported". Would leave me to believe that on the overall level of importance you are right behind bathroom break, lunch, or IM chatting where the techs are concerned.. LOL
    Last edited by geminicat; 12-12-2003 at 12:55 PM.

I can not imagine your image being corrupted or anything or it would invalidate the checksum and make the unit want to dial to fix itself.

My suggestion might be that while you had your unit unplugged and upgrading (no timeframe given as far as the speed of your upgrade) that perhaps the programming on your card expired and the UTV feature is not turned on in your cards programming right now.

I would think that they would have tried turning it on again if you called them with this problem but again you didn't specify details of what they might have tried to fix the problem.

Likelyhood of a bad image download that functions fine with the exception of UTV features enabled is surely slim to none. I assume since you get the demo mode you are able to record and stuff, just not watch more then 10 min.

I am fairly sure if they would turn UTV on in your card that you would have working UTV functions.

Yes, DirecTV did try to reset my unit. They inactivated my UTV service and then reactivated it, but this didn't fix my problem.

I assume my 3.7 image is OK, but I did receive an error message while downloading. During the download of part 295 of 297, I received an error message that simply said "Error code 20" and was given an option to "retry". I chose the "retry" option and the download continued as normal.

All other aspects of my UTV unit are working just fine. I can record programs (even 2 at once), but I can't watch more than 10 minutes of each recorded program.

I had the unit unplugged for about 30 minutes while I was swapping out the hard drive. I was then downloading the software for about 6 hours (I tried to download through the default WebTV connection a few times, but then was forced to switch to my own ISP).

Ok, that isn't it then. I was thinking perhaps you had it unplugged for most of a week or something.

I don't have any better ideas other then either wait on DTV, reset the unit and if it wants to download again just let it, or copy your OS off of the old drive which is now impossible since it is locked, and the UTV won't unlock it without starting formatting, and restoring that image on your larger drive.

The OS image is available at tivostuff I believe and/or you could try downloading the whole thing with your own ISP again this time. I don't think it could be your image but it might be and reloading would eliminate that possibility.

Thanks for the suggestions djohn & geminicat. I think I'll wait a day or two for DirecTV to see if they come up with anything and if not, I'll try to reset the unit and re-download the OS.

I am holding out hope for DirecTV to come up with something, because they did mention that a "few others" were also having this same problem.

Well, I used the "jenny" code and re-downloaded the OS. Everything went smooth, but I'm still stuck in demo mode! I can record all the programming I want, but I can only watch the first 10 minutes of any recording. I get a message saying I need to call DirecTV and sign up for UTV service. I've been a subscriber since March 2001!

I've called DirecTV numerous times about this issue and the last person I talked to said she was going to send me a new access card to see if that resolves the issue. I also discovered that a couple of others over in the AVS forum are also having this issue.

I want my UTV service back!!

does it work when you put your original hdd back in?

I haven't tried that. Can I simply put it back in?

No, you can't. When you put the original drive back in it will start formatting and if you let it finish then your new drive will do the same when you switch them.

The drives are password locked and there is a new password generated for each drive.

oh sorry...i didnt know....im fresh out of ideas too

I copied this info from another forum about a year ago, when I used to have UTV. I now have TiVO. Although I never had the demo problem I found this info intresting and worthy to keep in case of an eventuality. When I got these codes, version 3.5 was current and do not know if any are still valid for version 3.7. There is a code that talks about "retail demo" as well as a "web tv" demo. I did not discover nor used any of these codes and as you can see, some of them could cause "serious" problems on your IRD so, you have been warned and use at your own risk.

Regards

C&P follows:

----------------------------

UTV RESETS

With the IRD off, using the remote control, reset by pressing the menu/options button 3 times and then pressed buttons 12357 on the remote.

M-M-M-7225000 = soft reset and wipes the guide
    M-M-M-12357 = Soft Reset and clears CAM-ID
    M-M-M-23768 = Soft Reset
    M-M-M-23552355 = Hard Reset and clears all info, recordings, my shows and recorded movies.

The front panel of the UTV will multi-flash various colors if the code is entered correctly.

Format HDD: Press Menu-Options key 3 times then enter code 2355
    code 32768 Soft reboot of the receiver
    code 55325532 Deletes everything but the browser
    code 24682468 Trashes the browser image

Secret Codes
    411 - Shows technical information for the box.
    217 - Go to phone settings
    7264 - Clears tellyscript (not dialing options, etc. currently also clear the tv listings.(Oct,2000)

7265 - Clears tellyscript (not dialing options, etc.).currently also clear the tv listings.(Oct,2000)

32768 - Clear flash NV RAM (including tellyscript, dialing options, etc. If the box is locked, then this secret code is disabled._(When the box is locked, the message light on the box flashes 5 times)

12357 - Here's what it does: Clear dialing options. Clear tellyscript and send user back through scriptless. Turn on audible dialing for diagnostic purposes.(unknown build)

77437 - Spooky Dialing Options

6502 - Mfg test code. (Go to Channel 100 directly) build 6684 and later. If the box is locked, then this secret code is disabled._ (When the box is locked, the message light on the box flashes 5 times)

110698 - Enable Offhook detect (Yellow light flashes)

110598 - Disable Offhook detect (Red light flashes)

072358 - Queries offhook detect state (yellow light-on, red light-off)

989898 - Set the client version number to 1.(useful for verifying approm upgrade) (This code will be turned off before shipment)

8675309 - Boot into Mini-Browser for downloading Boot or App ROMS (primarily development use for flashing BootROMS; unknown build)._Currently work with external bootrom(2545) only Oct,2000

5309 - Shorter version of 8675309. Boot into Mini-Browser for downloading Boot or App ROMS (primarily development use for flashing BootROMS; unknown build). currently work with external bootrom(2545)only.Oct, 2000t; This code does not work when approm corrupted. Use 8675309 when approm corrupted.

7225000 - Clears TV listings (unknown build).

7335000 - Clears TV IR codes (unknown build).

23552355- OUT OF THE BOX CODE. Clears everything, except OS.

//internal builds only

972180 - Enable retail demo
    242424 - Show Crash Log
    711 - DirecTV data stream diagnostic
    744744 - VFatHax - Browse file system

code 55325532---Deletes everything but the browser
    code 24682468---Trashes the browser image
    code 217--------WebTV dialup options. This is really handy because then you don't have to dial into the webtv software to get into it. See 77437 for more info.

code 411--------Displays the WebTV Technical Information Screen. Displays the WebTV client and boot software version. The SSID, Chip version, SysConfig (unknown purpose), information on the modem, and the hard drive model number.

code 7225000----Forces a redownload of the Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

code 77437------Obscure WebTV dialing settings. Let's you change the dialing prefix or manually enter an access number.

code 031158-----Runs a demo for WebTV. Note that 061185 turns this demo off

code 7264-------Calls for a new tellyscript.

code 07081969---Forces unit to redownload webtv software.

code 8675309----Forces unit to redownload webtv software. This takes 30 minutes so don't waste your time trying it. If you want to cancel just turn the unit off, but it does loose your webtv setting and you have to walk through the normal setup process,
    so fair warning.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I'm a little reluctant to try any new codes. I've already used the "jenny" code to reload the OS and have also used the 23552355 code to reset the unit. Both codes got me right back to where I was - a perfectly working UTV unit stuck in preview (demo) mode.

Others are now reporting that they are having the same problem I am. You can see some of those reports on the AVS forum by clicking here: UTV Preview Mode It appears that anyone who has upgraded their hard drive or used the 23552355 reset code within the past few days, gets stuck in the UTV preview mode. I'm holding out hope that DirecTV will be able to resolve this issue! I've called them multiple times and they told me "our engineers are looking into the problem".