Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UTV Preview Mode

Well, I tried the new access card that I received in the mail today and that didn't fix it either! I'm still stuck in preview (demo) mode and can't watch more than 10 minutes of any of my recorded programs. I called into DirecTV and they said that their engineers are "looking into it", but couldn't tell me when they would have it fixed.

I would encourage anyone with this problem to call into DirecTV to report it, so they will push this issue through a little faster.

There is a theory on the AVS forum about the UTV units that are locked in preview (demo) mode. Look for the posting from "buttplug" in this link:

Missing file

If this theory is correct, then hopefully DirecTV will be able to fix the problem by adding the missing file(s) back to the data stream.

Will I mess up to took off the history now all I get is
    the UTV Preview Mode

OK looks like this problem has been resolved. Thanks to some of the great minds out there including bluecop and satchmoe for this excellent information. The culprit seems to be a file called authfile.dat. When you perform the 23552355 code or swap a HD out, this file is not present. Until a week ago it seems the file was sent through the stream as soon as the unit was connected to your satellite. authfile.dat is the same on every unit so there is no subscriber specific information in the file. The file resides in a 64MB fat16 partition on your hard drive called browser, and this partition is in different physical locations on the drive depending on its size. I have attached three different versions of the browser partition (including the authfile.dat) for 40, 80, and 120 gig harddrives. They are completely empty except for authfile.dat as well as a few other necessary browser files, so they are highly compressable, hence the small size. Other hard drive sizes are possible as well, however its a bit more complicated.

Basically you will perform steps similar to upgrading/downgrading your OS version with a hex editor. Since there are many other posts regarding this process on this forum as well as others, I wont go into the specifics of it. You will need to write the correct image based on your hard drive size at the following offsets:

browser40 to be written sector 71873904
    browser80 to be written sector 154545024
    browser120 to be written sector 228150192
    (more detailed sector and dec conversion information accompanies the .rar)

To do this you basically open your drive in winhex, go to tools>disk tools>clone disk, select the proper image (depending on your drive's size) check copy entire source file, and type the correct sector number under start sector (destination) and click OK.

Thats it, your browser partition now contains authfile.dat and should reenable your utv functions. NOTE: When this partition is written, it will overwrite all information regarding anything you have recorded, so your my shows will be empty. Also, you will lose locals, and they will need to be updated by the stream which may take a few hours. Small price to pay to get those features back. Hopefully DTV will put this file back in the stream sometime soon, but if you cannot wait until then this is the way to do it.

The attachment is in .bmp form, you will need to rename it to browser.rar and then extract. Good luck!

aLfer

PS: After you extract browser.rar, you will have THREE SEPERATE RAR FILES. These are NOT the images to apply to your drive. You have to extract the proper one for your drive before cloning it (it will be 64MB in size)

PPS: BEFORE YOU USE THESE IMAGES READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD. NOT EVERY 40, 80 OR 120 GB DRIVE IS THE SAME. DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS WILL REQUIRE DIFFERENT SETTINGS. EVEN DIFFERENT MODEL NUMBERS FROM THE SAME MANUFACTURER MAY BE DIFFERENT. SO READ THIS WHOLE THREAD ESPECIALLY SATCHMOE'S DETAILED POSTS TO ENSURE YOU ARE DOING THIS CORRECTLY SINCE MUCH HAS CHANGED SINCE I FIRST POSTED THIS. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE COMPLAINING!!!!!
    Last edited by aLfer; 01-09-2004 at 03:21 AM.

I'm assuming that I need the full $50 version of Winhex for this, right?

A registered version is required to save any modifications to files over 200k as I recall.

So yes, you need a registered version.

update for browser for differant sized drives

if you have a drive other than the sizes listed, you will need to do some editing.
    goto offset 178c1000 on your drive, scroll down to 178c1094 look at the 4 bytes . On a 40gb drive this will be b5700448 this is word swapped for 0448b570 mutiply this value by 200hex to get the drive offset of the browser partition in this case 8916ae000
    this is the drive offset where the partition starts. the decimal sector number for above is 71873904 which is what you would type into winhex when you clone it.

if the b5700448 is not correct, then you will need to have the number that you got from 178c1094, open one of the browser files (doesn't matter which, you'll be changing it anyway.)
    look at offset 28 look at the value it should match above. (in this example b5700448) if not then change it to the value it's supposed to be (the number you got above) now in winhex right click on value at 00000004 select beginning of block scroll down and right click on 0000006f select end of block. now left click on tools and select calculate hash. under digest select checksum 32 bit take the value you get and word swap it i.e. 000009e1 becomes 09e10000 now write that value to bytes 0-3 of the file and save the file. word swap the value you changed for the offset I.E b5780448 becomes 0448b570 enter it into the calculator as hex then click the dec button and write down the value you get...in this case 71873904.
    goto tools select disk tools then clone disk read sectors from image file and type in starting sector as the decimal number you got above. clone it and you should be done.

TwinCities_UTV
    PM me about WinHex..i can help you out

You guys amaze me!!!
    Keep up the good work... (who ever is doing the work)

The best I have come up with is changing all the card problem warning text to my own customized stupid sayings..... makes it more fun to see something other than "Please Insert Access Card"

And finding someone's cell phone number burried in the code... thought that was wierd.

It makes me feel like a King programmer in my house...
    but to you top dogs I guess I'm just a Court Jester.

Carry on!

Re: update for browser for differant sized drives

Originally posted by satchmoe
    if you have a drive other than the sizes listed, you will need to do some editing.
    Well I''m using these extra editing steps because i just put in a 160gb drive (I know, only 137gb actually used - but anyway).

Since I did the upgrade I've been letting it record a lot of shows and I'd rather not lose them. If I'm willing to do extra editing work, is there some way I could just paste in the missing file into my existing partition so I can retain the my shows listing? I realize I may have to edit other locations, just wondering if I can do it before I blow away my shows?

bonapart

Actually yes bonapart...umm well this is what i do, i have and old 500 meg drive that i've partitioned into a 100 meg with a 400mb extended drive which come up as drive e: and f: when you locate the partition you want strip the first 4000 bytes off and save to a file..then 16bit swap the remaining followed by a 32 bit swap.
    you should see fat16 in the first sector of your file, save it to a file, then what i do is clone the file to drive f: on mine at sector 0

(if you try this on the first partition (drive E on mine) you'll lose your extended drive info)
    now you can just go to drive f: and copy change what ever (your drive will be reported as whatever size the file was I.E. browser part will report 64.3 meg even though the logical drive was 400 or whatever no biggy.
    once you've made your changes read sector 0-to the end, save it as a file, do the 16bit swap followed by a 32 bit swap, paste the 4000 bytes (in hex) that you saved earlier to offset 0 save again and clone it back to the utv drive at the correct offset.
    first couple times are a little time consuming but then it starts going pretty quick.

One more thing...several files in the browser partition have your access card number in them including a folder called ippvhistory, which has a folder for every access card you have ever plugged in to your utv, inside each of these folders are 25 files slot0 through slot24 which has your ppv history in them. like which ppvs you bought etc.

this means if you were to plug 10 differant cards into your machine from 10 differant receivers from 10 differant accounts
    and each person had puchased 10 pay per views all of this info will be in this folder, even though you had inserted the wrong card the info gets recorded.

I think you see where i'm going with this
    something to think about before reading and sharing these partitions.
    Last edited by satchmoe; 12-18-2003 at 09:38 PM.

I have a 100 gig Western digital hard drive in my UTV. I think I will put the 40 gig back in because I cannot figure out what satchmoe is talking about. That is way over my head. But ill hand it to you....You are all smart ass mofos....good job
    Last edited by Er0cK; 12-18-2003 at 11:36 PM.

Do you guys have any thoughts on whether or not DirecTV will actualy add the missing file back to the data stream? If you think the chances are slim to none, then I'll start the process of using Winhex to add the missing file to my drive, otherwise I'll wait. I'm torn!

On another note, thank-you, thank-you, thank-you bluecop, satchmoe & aLfer. You guys are amazing!

TwinCities_UTV,

its really hard to tell, and utimately impossible to know so this is all speculation, please take it for what its worth. On the one hand, we know that DTV and microsoft are no longer selling UTV units to the public. That said, anyone who has a utv has already got the file on their partition. Microsoft's and DTV's take on things is that a.) noone should even be aware the secret codes exist and b.) noone should be swapping a harddrive or even modifying them on their own without taking them to an authorized repair shop. This is likely why DTV took the file out of the stream. On the other, there is nothing illegal about using the codes or upgrading to a larger hard drive to enhance the functionality of your unit, and since you are still being charged for UTV service and not receiving it, in my eyes they are obligated to fix the problem. Problem is, sometimes the wheels turn very slowly when it comes to technical problems like this and its possible DTV's engineers havent even figured out that authfile.dat is what is causing the problem. So it could be a couple weeks more before dtv puts it back, if they do at all. Or they could put it back in tomorrow, theres really no way to tell. The procedure to add them back in is relatively simple if you follow my instructions, the only downside is the loss of recordings.

attached is a .rar (.bmp) to use with a 100GB drive.

write this image at sector 189080112 per the earlier instructions.