Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: UTV Preview Mode

Quote Originally Posted by merdav
    I only zeroed and applied my 3.5 image once. I have my UTV right next to my puter. Boot the UTV -disconnect IDE- Hook up P.C., P.C. sees both drives....boot to winhex. Error reading drive sectors, and when I goto 178c1094.....nothing,00 00 00 00. I think I can do this in my sleep at this point. Even tried a different drive tonite same thing. I have read EVERY post and printed about 20 pages, followed step by step.......is there ANYTHING I missed???????????????????
    If your image was written correctly and you get it to work just that you are stuck with demo mode, then the only thing I can think of is that you need to wait a little longer between booting up the UTV receiver and then hotswapping it to your pc. So boot up the UTV and wait a full 2 mins at least, then swap the ide cables of the receiver and the pc. Waiting longer will ensure that the hard drive is unlocked. Try it and see if that helps.

4 bytes in different order

My question is: when I type in the offset position 178c1094, I see the same letters and numbers but in a different order. I am not clear on what word swapping is. In any case, what I see at that position is 4B B0 0D 99 for the WD 120gb. Is there something I need to do to get it in the right order before writing the image? If so, what and how?

Thanks for the help.

UPDATE: I think I got it. If I simply swap the bytes in the form alfer showed in the examples, I get 0D 99 4B B0, which is what I should see. I guess the purpose of word swapping the bytes to read it as it is logically read? The point in word swapping is what I'm not sure of. If you said you should see 4B B0 0D 99 at the offset position then I would just go ahead and clone the image. Word swapping is so that you can get the offset position on where to write the image, is that correct?
    Last edited by Maxr; 01-06-2004 at 09:45 PM.

Got it to work. Thanks everyone, especially aLfer and Satch.

I got it too! I didn't understand why when I did the hotswap I had to power and hit pause. I was just hooking up the UTV to my PC and powering it up, it was seeing the UTV and PC drives but wouldn't let me write to the drive. The key was to make sure you do the pause before the drives are detected hookup UTV and hit space bar to continue. Thanks aLFER and Maxr.

In Win2k (I don't know about the rest)

I just hook up the drive to the IDE and go to Device Manager and search for new hardware... no need to do the power up, pause method.

Quote Originally Posted by klassic

I just hook up the drive to the IDE and go to Device Manager and search for new hardware... no need to do the power up, pause method.
    Windows98 here. Power and pause method required. Kind of makes me wish I had Win2K.

Quote Originally Posted by klassic

You know? I think WinXP is the same. I've been doing the pause method but next time I'll try the search for new hardware method.

Thanks for the heads up klassic. You must fool with these things a lot...

kazak

No.... these things have been foolin' with me a a lot

Please help me with WD 45 Gig (450AW)?

My original RCA UTV has a 45GB HDD can some one please help me figure out which sector a should write the browser at. I was able to do 120GB WD HDD with no problem tried doing the browser fits all on the 450AW but was unable to fix it, if some has done this HDD please post which start sector I need to write the image at.
    Thx in advance.
    Last edited by el3men2; 01-09-2004 at 12:02 AM. Reason: text error

Quote Originally Posted by el3men2
    My original RCA UTV has a 45GB HDD can some one please help me figure out which sector a should write the browser at. I was able to do 120GB WD HDD with no problem tried doing the browser fits all on the 450AW but was unable to fix it, if some has done this HDD please post which start sector I need to write the image at.
    Thx in advance.

You should just edit an image and figure out what sector you need to write for your specific drive. It looks very difficult, but in reality its not. There are 2 posts (one by satchmoe and one by aLfer) you should print and read very carefully - follow step by step. Its not that hard, if I can do it anyone can. So give it a shot, its good knowledge to have since youre prolly gonna have to do it again sometime.

I have WD 45gb goto offset 178c1000 on your drive, scroll down to 178c1094 look at the 4 bytes . On a 45gb drive this will be B7F004DD this is word swapped for 04DDB70F mutiply this value by 200hex to get the drive offset of the browser partition in this case 9BB6E1E00
    this is the drive offset where the partition starts. the decimal sector number for above is 41799261696 which is what you would type into winhex when you clone it. Is this right?

if the four sectors are B7 F0 04 DD, word swapped it would be 04 DD B7 F0

is my idecimal sector number 81639408?

the number at 178c1094 (after the byte swap) is your SECTOR number in HEX. multiplying this number by 200 hex gives you your drive OFFSET in hex. However, winhex's clone disk tool wants a SECTOR number, only it needs it in DECIMAL form. So you open windows calc, switch to scientific view, click the hex radio button (instead of decimal), type in the swapped number from 178c1094, then click the DECIMAL radio button to convert the hex to decimal. This will then be the number you enter into winhex's disk clone tool. Dont forget to add 20 HEX sectors to the number if you are using satchmoe's browser-fitsall. If you are editing one of the images I posted, then you will not add the 20 sectors. pdh0987, 81639408 IS the correct sector for you, but you only use that if you are editing one of my posted images. you will need to add 20 HEX to that number at 178c1094 before converting to decimal IF you are using satchmoe's browser-fitsall. (You could also add the dec equivalent of 20 hex [32] to the decimal number you posted.)

aLfer

worked good thinks for the help