Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Knoppix-Lite V3.3 ISO for Tivo

Do you need another mirror for the iso? Depending on monthy bandwidth usage of it I may be able to help..

Very useful tool and it's time for me to try to give back a little to the community..

Drop me a email if so, my username here at gmail.com..

Adding files to an ISO

Kinda' off topic I guess, but I have used the great Knopix-lite boot disk for a while and there are a few files I'd like to add.

is there a program that will "inject" the wanted files into an existing ISO?

I've tried extracting the boot sector then creating a new disk with the original + new files, but it woun't boot....

I'm looking at adding various virgin and hacked TIVOAPP files as well as kernels.

Thanks
    gNOME

Quote Originally Posted by gNOMEintheRedHa
    Kinda' off topic I guess, but I have used the great Knopix-lite boot disk for a while and there are a few files I'd like to add.

I've tried extracting the boot sector then creating a new disk with the original + new files, but it woun't boot....

I'm looking at adding various virgin and hacked TIVOAPP files as well as kernels.

Thanks
    gNOME
    May not be the answer, but have you tried using an ISO manipulation program (i.e. UltraISO, WinISO, or the like) to open the ISO and add the files?

It works great for UBCD4Win boot CD's. I use it to add image files of newly created PC's into the UBCD4Win bootCD to make a nice image recovery CD or DVD for the computer.

Spydertech

Quote Originally Posted by gNOMEintheRedHa

Thanks
    gNOME
    I normally just burn the iso and add files by writting another session on the cd.
    There's no place like ~/

Was wondering what port you were assigning for pass through ?? Port 23 ??

When I try to run Telnet...it give me: Could not open connection to the Host on port 23

Thanks for any input

bootpage and ideturbo

I just ran across this thread. I need to add runideturbo=false to the bootpage (for a seagate drive). I tired

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 runideturbo=false" /dev/sda

but all it does is open /dev/sda read-only, read the old param "root=/dev/hda7" and prints it out. It never tries to write the updated param.

What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by kmt
    I tired

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 runideturbo=false" /dev/sda

but all it does is open /dev/sda read-only, read the old param "root=/dev/hda7" and prints it out. It never tries to write the updated param.

What am I missing?
    You need the -C option before the /dev/sda so:

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 runideturbo=false" -C /dev/sda
    The more you search, the more you find. The more you read, the more you may learn.
    It is just as important to know the things that DON'T work.

Attention Newbies -> Start with the document found HERE, I did.
    The opinions expressed in this post are based on my life experiences and may or may not reflect YOUR reality. Use the information provided at your own risk

6 - S2 - DTivos with a total of 1.1TB storage - Hacked, networked, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    I have created a Knoppix-Lite distro for hacking your Tivo. It has the following features:

9) Includes pdisk, mfstools & bootpage (support for /dev/sdX drives)

I've been trying to get a Knoppix-lite 3.3 CD to recognise an external USB hard disk (seagate 7200.10 inside a Xcraft enclosure). After booting /dev/sda (etc) is not available, and 'dmesg' reports that the SCSI device is not claimed by any driver. 'lsmod' shows that 'usb-storage' is loaded.

I've been searching the forums/google for days without success. It seems others on the forums (incl Sleeper above) have been able to mount /dev/sda etc seamlessly. however, linux-usb device forum suggests perhaps not for seagate drives (see http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3428)

Full knoppix, and ubuntu breezy can do it fine for me, but not my knoppix-lite CD. Do I need to load a newer version of usb-storage (how/where)? Any tips greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mpnash View Post
    Full knoppix, and ubuntu breezy can do it fine for me, but not my knoppix-lite CD. Do I need to load a newer version of usb-storage (how/where)? Any tips greatly appreciated.
    Download the linux copies of all those TiVo tools, plus something called tivopart. Put those on some linux accessible storage device and go ahead and use your full Knoppix disk. I've often thought about creating a new distro based on a current Knoppix, but don't know enough to go about it. Besides which, I've found pretty much all the tools I need for my mac so I don't need Knoppix anymore. And with all the tools on your own drive, there's really no need to use one of the old distros anymore.

You can find tivopart over here, then just invoke it on your tivo drive like so:
    Code:
    tivopart r /dev/whatever
    That should make the partition table visible to your running linux, so you can then mount the partitions as normal.

swapdata for series 1

I need to operate on a drive from a Series 1 using a usb enclosure. Knoppix-Lite V3.3 supports /dev/sdX drives, but pdisk doesn't like the partition table because of byte swapping.

Is this because this CD is for Series 2?

What do I need to operate properly on Series 1 through /dev/sdX (pdisk, mfsrestore, extract, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by kmt View Post
    I need to operate on a drive from a Series 1 using a usb enclosure. Knoppix-Lite V3.3 supports /dev/sdX drives, but pdisk doesn't like the partition table because of byte swapping.

Is this because this CD is for Series 2?

What do I need to operate properly on Series 1 through /dev/sdX (pdisk, mfsrestore, extract, etc)?
    See here for how to enable byteswapping for S1's.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    See here for how to enable byteswapping for S1's.
    That reference is to byteswap=/dev/hdX which is for the ide driver, not the sd driver used on usb drives.

Quote Originally Posted by kmt View Post
    That reference is to byteswap=/dev/hdX which is for the ide driver, not the sd driver used on usb drives.
    So you can't just give it 'byteswap=/dev/sdX' ?
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software

Quote Originally Posted by ScanMan View Post
    So you can't just give it 'byteswap=/dev/sdX' ?
    No, the byteswap code is only in ide driver, specifying sd doesn't accomplish anything.

As far as I can tell there is no way to get the kernel to byteswap for the usb drives, which mean you can't mount the ext2 partitions. Some of the utilities like some versions of pdisk have been enhanced to byetswap in the application itself.