Thread: Cleaning up MFS (also instantly nuke Showcases and Tivolution)

Cleaning up MFS (also instantly nuke Showcases, Tivolution, and Gold Star items)

This is another one of those "it works for me" slash "your mileage may vary" posts. Like all posts in the experts forum: newbies beware.

I did some playing around, and I found that the following directories in MFS can be safely removed (using MfsRubbishTree /DirectoryName ) from dtivo software version 3.1.0b, or at least I have removed them myself and I haven't seen any negative impact besides the instant loss of Tivolution, Showcases, and the golden star from the tivo menu. Yes, the tivo central menu feels less cluttered this way as there are now only 5 menu options (note, this may not be the same for older or newer software versions, so use discretion):

/AuxInfo
    /Clips
    /LeadGeneration
    /LinkTag
    /MenuItem
    /Package
    /Showcase
    /Showcases
    /ShowcaseIndex
    /ShowcaseIndex.temp
    /Star

(if you happen to get an infinitely repeating background holdoff, reboot and try again)

If you want to ensure that Tivolution/Showcases/Gold stars never return again, go to www.tivostuff.com, download the latest version of PGM's showcases utility, and execute the nosc.tcl script contained in it on your tivo.

Also, I took a look at the /DataSet directory, and it mostly looks like advertizement related garbage, except for one subdir that mentions the Ir. It really looks like it can be safely deleted, however IIRC, it was once also used to store genre info in other sw versions. *shrug* if anybody else wants to take a stab at deleting it, be my guest, so long as you report your results here. If anybody finds any other directories that look useless, and you can safely delete them, post that info here as well.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 12-28-2003 at 05:12 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Some more findings...

I went ahead and nuked /DataSet, and all seems well. Also, for those who don't care about starz VOD, you can nuke everything in SeasonPass EXCEPT for the /SeasonPass/User directory (kinda obvious why.) Also go ahead and nuke /CaptureRequest while your at it.

I am thinking that all of this might have a small speed improvement since it severely reduces the load on your tivos hidden todo list, hence reducing the amount of indexing that the tivo does. Don't know for sure though, I just like having unnecessary things removed
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 12-28-2003 at 05:45 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Where are these directories located at?
    Last edited by tweaky; 01-02-2004 at 06:55 AM.

in MFS (is where there located at..... yo)

Ok, I guess I deserved that.. Teaches me to type while slightly lubricated..

I guess the question really is, how do you access MFS w/ out pulling the drives out. I know that you can't *mount* it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tweaky
    I guess the question really is, how do you access MFS w/ out pulling the drives out. I know that you can't *mount* it.

Thanks

Through tivosh.

Type tivosh at your bash prompt, and start pokin' around.