Thread: Stupind Noobie Questions

35 Stupind Noobie Questions

All:

Sorry for the basics of the questions here. I have tried STFA, but am getting some confusing results. I have a T60 DTivo. I installed TyStudio (first question, should I be using Tytools instead?). Install went fine and I can connect to my Tivo. When I try to copy a file to my PC, the Processor pegs at 100% and just sits at 0% copied (I have left it for > 20 minutes). I am also showing no indexing on old or new recordings.

For the install I used the 0.5 beta install.

Do I need to install the no scramble stuff? What else might I be doing wrong? (or where should I search).

TIA

You will definitely need to install "the noscramble stuff" if you want to extract any videos from your Tivo. Any recordings you want to extract MUST be recorded with scrambling turned off or you will be unable to process them after the fact. IMO, TyTools has left TyStudio in the dust as far as features. TyStudio took off like a bat out of Hell but then quickly became mired in its own problems after Olaf flew the coop. The latest version has fixed many of the earlier bugs but TyTool has outdistanced it in features and maturity. It's a more complete package for creating DVDs or other disc formats and is also easier to install and set up than TyStudio. It also uses less Tivo resources than TyStudio.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Can I ask a couple newbie follow-up questions?

I have a DirecTiVo (upgraded hard disks). I plan on putting in a cachecard as soon as it comes in. I want to copy programs to my laptop for viewing while I travel.

1nd Q: Will I lose the programs already on the TiVo?

2nd Q: If I understand all of the posts above, the recordings currently on the TiVo are scrambled. Is there any way to view them on my laptop? Or are they only viewable on the TiVo?

3rd Q: Once I install the unscramble software, will that ruin all of the existing programs on the TiVo? Or will they still be viewable, just not on my laptop? But future recordings will be transportable...

Thanks for your guidance!

Question another stupid newbie question

Is ther a way to Batch transfer files from my tivo S1 to my pc?
    I have tystudio setup (by a friend) and it works

Quote Originally Posted by electrocit
    Is ther a way to Batch transfer files from my tivo S1 to my pc?
    I have tystudio setup (by a friend) and it works
    I batch transfer with tytools all the time. Works great, you select all files you want and press the "get" button and they come across.

1nd Q: Will I lose the programs already on the TiVo?

If you don't have an extreme image already on the tivo then yes you will.

edit: you don't have to use extreme to "hack" the tivo & nuke recordings in the process, you can do all the same mods by hand - might require a bit of reading/understanding

2nd Q: If I understand all of the posts above, the recordings currently on the TiVo are scrambled. Is there any way to view them on my laptop? Or are they only viewable on the TiVo?

Nope they are stuck scrambled

edit: search for unscramble.o & use it to decrypt during extract

3rd Q: Once I install the unscramble software, will that ruin all of the existing programs on the TiVo? Or will they still be viewable, just not on my laptop? But future recordings will be transportable...

No, scrambled programs will be able to be viewed with noscramble off and non-scrambled programs will be able to be viewed with noscramble on

edit: autoscramble.tcl can auto-toggle the mode or you can use alphawolf's csoscout script to simplify viewing. anything decrypted during extraction with unscramble.o will be playable / convertable anywhere

Anything made with noscramble on will be transportable
    Last edited by rc3105; 01-11-2004 at 02:17 AM.

Capitan Video:
    Dumb Question: How do you turn off the scrambling on the T60?
    TomP

Thanks for the answers. I completed my upgrade shortly after posting, so I will post my findings...

1st Q: Will I lose the programs already on the TiVo?
    Not at all. I followed the Jenkins upgrade how-to guide. All of my programs are still on my DTiVo with no issues. They are still scrambled and working fine.

use unscramble.o This will allow you to unscramble the programs and bring them over to your PC. However, all the programs on your DTiVo will still be scrambled!! Short process I go through... install/run unscramble.o on DTiVo. Watch ~5 seconds of the program I want unscrambled. Use TyTools to copy them to the laptop. On my laptop, they view fine, and they are still fine on the DTiVo. Only downside to this process... you have to remember to view a few seconds first, and you can not queue up more than 1 program at a time to download.

Davel said it best...
    No, scrambled programs will be able to be viewed with noscramble off and non-scrambled programs will be able to be viewed with noscramble on

edit: autoscramble.tcl can auto-toggle the mode or you can use alphawolf's csoscout script to simplify viewing. anything decrypted during extraction with unscramble.o will be playable / convertable anywhere

Anything made with noscramble on will be transportable