Thread: Reverse TyTools = slooTyT ?

Reverse TyTools = slooTyT ?

TyTools is a brilliant all-in-one solution for going from TiVo>Ty>MPG>VOB>DVD.

Does anyone know of a simple solution to reverse this process, at least as far as MPG. In other words go from DVD>VOB>MPG where you have one big MPG file that contains the whole movie?

My goal is not necessarily to re-insert to a TiVo (although that would be nice) it is more to create MPEG files of my DVDs that can be displayed on my computer or on my Gateway Connected DVD player.

There are some good ripping tools (SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter) that go from DVD to VOB, but then how do you get from VOB to MPEG? Can this be done without a lot of re-encoding?
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD
    Roll Your Own Canadian Guide Data

Tytools might be able to do it

Quote Originally Posted by wkozun
    Does anyone know of a simple solution to reverse this process, at least as far as MPG. In other words go from DVD>VOB>MPG where you have one big MPG file that contains the whole movie?
    I think that when a few bugs are fixed in tytools you will be able to mux the vob's from a dvd into an mpeg. Unfortunately right now I think that the indexing is broken so you wouldn't be able to.

Other than that I think you are stuck transcoding the vobs to mpeg which takes a while.

There are some good ripping tools (SmartRipper, DVD Decrypter) that go from DVD to VOB, but then how do you get from VOB to MPEG? Can this be done without a lot of re-encoding?
    First step is to do a web search...
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Quote Originally Posted by FredThompson
    First step is to do a web search...
    Believe me, I have done a lot of that. I have also looked on HTPC forums where people have set up DVD jukeboxes. The usual routine is something like this:

1. Rip DVD to HD with DVD Decrypter or SmartRipper.
    2. Use DVD Shrink to get rid of stuff (i.e. languages, etxtras) that you don't want.
    3. Re-author the VOBs.
    4. Use Daemon Tools or other similar software to mount the VOB files so that your PC thinks that they are running from a DVD drive.

or use FlaskMPEG or TMPGEnc tools that take hours and hours to re-encode and have a >50% probability of crashing before finishing.

Since a VOB file is basically an MPEG-2 file it should be fairly simple to go from a VOB to an MPEG-2 of the same resolution and bitrate, shouldn't it? Audio could cause a problem, but re-encoding of all of the video shouldn't really be required, should it?
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD

ok, well, I'm convinced you looked. Surprised you didn't figure this out.

Load your VOBs into GOPEditor and process to multiplex. You can find a multitude of free MPEG joiners at places like doom9.org
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Load your VOBs into GOPEditor and process to multiplex. You can find a multitude of free MPEG joiners at places like doom9.org
    Following your post I tried this and TyTools died every time when trying to make a key file out of a VOB. I tried with several VOBs from 2 different DVDs ripped with different rippers. A previous post in this thread by malfunct mentions problems with indexing which is probably the issue.
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD

What a minute. When you typed "reverse the process", did you mean a VOB from a tytool-created IFO file set or a standard DVD?

What a minute. When you typed "reverse the process", did you mean a VOB from a tytool-created IFO file set or a standard DVD?
    Sorry "reverse the process" was a little misleading. I meant from a standard DVD that you would buy.
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD

You can combine multiple VOBs into a single VOB using IFOEdit. Converting the single VOB to an mpeg should be simple enough by just remuxing the VOB to get an mpeg output. Most mpeg players I've seen will play VOBs as is without having to remux them anyway.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

A VOB is an MPEG. It should play with nothing more than a rename, at worst. In my case, for the Windows side of my PC, I just manually associated the ".vob" extension with WinDVD, and it plays them fine. Under Linux, I use MPlayer from the command line.

If you want to neatly extract a DVD to a single MPEG/VOB file, the simplest way I've found is:

mplayer -dumpstream dvd://1

(The main movie is usually title 1; other titles can be extracted using other numbers.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWickedPriest
    A VOB is an MPEG. It should play with nothing more than a rename, at worst. In my case, for the Windows side of my PC, I just manually associated the ".vob" extension with WinDVD, and it plays them fine. Under Linux, I use MPlayer from the command line.

If you want to neatly extract a DVD to a single MPEG/VOB file, the simplest way I've found is:

mplayer -dumpstream dvd://1

(The main movie is usually title 1; other titles can be extracted using other numbers.)
    In most instances software that plays mpegs will play vobs but this doesn't appear to work with my Gateway Connected DVD player, even when I change the extension from vob to mpeg. I will try this method from mplayer.

[EDIT]I couldn't find much documentation for the -dumpstream option for mplayer on the mplayer docs site (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/documentation.html) any suggestions for where to get more info.

I am using Windows so mplayer runs under Cygwin. Will I hit a 2GB max file size issue that I have read can be problematic with Cygwin?[/EDIT]
    Last edited by wkozun; 01-04-2004 at 06:05 PM.
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD

I couldn't find much documentation for the -dumpstream option for mplayer on the mplayer docs site (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/documentation.html) any suggestions for where to get more info.
    I just used the man page ("man mplayer" under Linux). I don't know how that translates to their online docs, sorry. Anyway, there's not much more to it. It puts the extracted stream into a file named "stream.dump", unless you use "-dumpfile" to specify a different name. The "dvd://1" thing is just a standard MPlayer URL -- you could do the same with "tivo://" URLs.

Here's what the man page says:

Code:
           -dumpfile <filename> (MPLAYER only)
                  Specify which file MPlayer should dump to.   Should
                  be  used  together  with  -dumpaudio / -dumpvideo /
                  -dumpstream.

-dumpstream (MPLAYER only)
                  Dumps the raw  stream  to  ./:stream.dump.   Useful
                  when ripping from DVD or network.

What format is the file that is created by dumpstream? Is it always MPEG-2? Can you change that? According to the man page (http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/...layer-man.html) it dumps the "raw stream".
    2 SA-Series 1 TiVos
    Gateway Connected DVD