Thread: Problems w/Telnet - SA Series 2 - ver. 4 & higher

Problems w/Telnet - SA Series 2 - ver. 4 & higher

Hello...
    I have a Tivo Series 2 Standalone unit running version 4.XXX of the Tivo OS. My Tivo is plugged into my network via a USB network card. I have tried editing the rc.sysinit file tol allow for port 23 to be opened so I can Telnet into my Tivo but for some reason, whenever I try, it ends up timing out. Any suggestions for how to Telnet into a Tivo running ver. 4.XXX???

I second that ...

I have a SA S2 that I have monte'd and everything (seems) to work fine - I get a bash shell, the boot sequence shows both kernels starting up in sequence (U5, 4.01b), etc.

I launch both tivoftpd & tnlited in my hackinit file, and I can see them running in ps, but I cannot seem to connect - my attempts just time out.

I am trying to connect from a terminal window running on Mac OS X. Any help / advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by n00b; 01-22-2004 at 08:31 PM. Reason: specify kernels

Did you use sleepers?
    Did you select S for networking?
    Did you setup network in menu on your unit?
    Can you ping the unit?
    Ma l'italiano benissimo

Ex-Cantidate John Kerry
    Its not what you want it's what the electorate wants.

Still struggling ...

Quote Originally Posted by tytyty
    Did you use sleepers?
    No. I used the monte software & instructions in Bill von Hagen's "Hacking the Tivo" (although I had to get the U5 kernel off the net). The instructions are essentially identical to those in Captain Video's "montestuff" package.

Did you select S for networking?
    I'm not sure what that means but I'll assume it is associated with Sleeper's monte process. Therefore, no.

Did you setup network in menu on your unit?
    The network is working properly and is indicated as such in the Dialup & Network settings screen. I can connect to TiVo and receive programming updates without problem and can transfer programming to & from my other TiVo (both are HMO enabled).

Can you ping the unit?
    Yes, I can ping with ~5ms ping times.

Everything appears fine - the TiVo works okay, I get a good bash shell, the network is active & working, the daemons appear to be running. The problem only evidences itself when I try to connect - neither telnet nor ftp appear to be accepting connections. Ideas?

Call off the alarm!

I found my problem and, duh, I'm a dummy. Although my daemons were running, the associated ports were not open (should have port scanned sooner). A simple ...

bash-2.02# /sbin/iptables -F

fixed the problem (don't worry, my home net is behind a firewall).

Sorry for the false alarm but thanks for the input, Tytyty. I hope this thread helps others.

Are you still stuck, Sevendustweb?

rc.sysinit changes getting erased

What did you do to make telnet work. In my case, all the changes to rc.sysinit are getting erased after the reboot. What are the options??

------
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b
    I found my problem and, duh, I'm a dummy. Although my daemons were running, the associated ports were not open (should have port scanned sooner). A simple ...

bash-2.02# /sbin/iptables -F

fixed the problem (don't worry, my home net is behind a firewall).

Sorry for the false alarm but thanks for the input, Tytyty. I hope this thread helps others.

Are you still stuck, Sevendustweb?