Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TivoToGo(tm)

TivoToGo(tm)

1/8/2004

New TiVo® Service Release Ushers in Era of "TiVo To Go" Portable, Mobile TiVo Experience

January 8, 2004 - LAS VEGAS – INTERNATIONAL CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) announced today it intends to deliver a new service release in the Fall of 2004 called “TiVoToGoTM.” For the first time, TiVo subscribers with Home Media Option(TM) will be able to move their favorite programs stored on a TiVo DVR to a laptop for viewing on the road, or to any PC. For those who have a PC equipped with a DVD burner, programs can then be burned to DVD so users can take the TiVo experience with them wherever they go.

"We’re now giving consumers the freedom and control to determine where they enjoy entertainment, whether it’s at home, in a car, on a plane – or anywhere on the road," said Brodie Keast, Senior Vice President and General Manager of the TiVo Service.

How "TiVoToGo" Works
    Accessing “TiVoToGo” requires a TiVo Content Security Key and TiVo-enabled versions of the Sonic Solution (NASDAQ: SNIC) MyDVD® and CinePlayer(TM) applications.

Sonic Solutions, the leader in DVD creation software, has teamed with TiVo to develop TiVo-enabled versions of Sonic’s MyDVD and CinePlayer applications. Once this software is installed on the PC, the new TiVo-enabled MyDVD and CinePlayer software from Sonic will make it easy to find the “Now Playing” programs on any networked TiVo DVR in the home.

Once selected, the secure and encrypted TiVo recorded programs are moved to the PC, where the TiVo Content Security Key is used to unlock the files for playback or burning, preventing files from being shared online, outside of the user’s home network.

The TiVo Content Security Key and the TiVo-enabled versions of Sonic Solution’s MyDVD and CinePlayer applications will be sold as a bundle at www.tivo.com.

The "TiVo to Go" service upgrade, TiVo Content Security Key and the Sonic software will all be available in Fall 2004.

(http://www.tivo.com/5.3.1.1.asp?article=196)

So basically, its TiVo's own video extraction with digital rights managment, ala iTunes. I kinda figured this would come down after the TiVo/DVD burner units came out.

Still wondering if TyTools and the like will be better (cutting out comercials and such)
    Dave
    -----------------------------
    Life's a reach, then you gybe
    Hacks -SA 2 PROM, telnet, ftpd, tivoweb, tserver, mfs_ftp, & extraction
    SA2.5 PROM - telnet, ftpd, tserver (waiting for a tivoapp patch)

The extracted programs only play on a PC, with certain apps, not on any DVD player. IMO not very usefull compared to Tytools.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    The extracted programs only play on a PC, with certain apps, not on any DVD player. IMO not very usefull compared to Tytools.
    I think you might be mistaken. The majority of interpretations I have seen lead me to believe that the DVDs you burn will be playable on any player.

The goal here is for TiVo to enable extraction for its users that want it without enraging the MPAA. The MPAA's primary concern is with the shows showing up on filesharing networks, and this scheme prevents that.

IMHO it is a reasonable and balanced compromise.

$0.02
    TiVos:
    Three soon-to-be-hacked 'virgin' TiVoHDs. Gotta get back into the swing here first. (11/2009)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiros
    I am fairly certain that the burned dvd's are compatible with any dvd player, its just the extracted files before burning that are only playable in programs that can handle the DRM. This is in effect to limit internet sharing. At least this is what I got out of the quotes from the guy that spoke about TivoToGo though it wasn't in the press release when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    I am fairly certain that the burned dvd's are compatible with any dvd player, its just the extracted files before burning that are only playable in programs that can handle the DRM. This is in effect to limit internet sharing. At least this is what I got out of the quotes from the guy that spoke about TivoToGo though it wasn't in the press release when I read it.
    The announcement states:

"Once this software is installed on the PC, the new TiVo-enabled MyDVD and CinePlayer software from Sonic will make it easy to find the “Now Playing” programs on any networked TiVo DVR in the home. "

and:

"Accessing “TiVoToGo” requires a TiVo Content Security Key and TiVo-enabled versions of the Sonic Solution (NASDAQ: SNIC) MyDVD® and CinePlayer(TM) applications. "
    3 HDVR2s:
    All legally modified

Quote Originally Posted by CableNOT
    The announcement states:

"Once this software is installed on the PC, the new TiVo-enabled MyDVD and CinePlayer software from Sonic will make it easy to find the “Now Playing” programs on any networked TiVo DVR in the home. "

and:

"Accessing “TiVoToGo” requires a TiVo Content Security Key and TiVo-enabled versions of the Sonic Solution (NASDAQ: SNIC) MyDVD® and CinePlayer(TM) applications. "
    I agree, and what I am speaking of was an answer to a question that the guy giving the presentation gave. He said "dvd's created by Sonic will play on any dvd player" or something really close to that. Do a quick search on the topic and you should find it, it was referenced at more than one tech site that reported on CES.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    I agree, and what I am speaking of was an answer to a question that the guy giving the presentation gave. He said "dvd's created by Sonic will play on any dvd player" or something really close to that. Do a quick search on the topic and you should find it, it was referenced at more than one tech site that reported on CES.
    From Sonic Solutions web site:
    "Designed to work with TiVo’s Home Media Option and Series2 DVRs, the new TiVo-enabled MyDVD and CinePlayer software makes it easy to find the “Now Playing” programs available on any networked TiVo DVR in the home. Once selected, the secure and encrypted TiVo programs are transferred to the PC, where a TiVo Content Security Key is used to unlock the files for playback or burning, preventing files from being shared online outside of the user’s home network or online."
    3 HDVR2s:
    All legally modified

If the files can be unlocked for burning, what's to stop anyone from ripping the files off the DVD and then posting them on the net? I've never been one for sharing video files on the net but it would seem that this setup may not be as secure as they'd like it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by boogie
    If the files can be unlocked for burning, what's to stop anyone from ripping the files off the DVD and then posting them on the net? I've never been one for sharing video files on the net but it would seem that this setup may not be as secure as they'd like it to be.
    It worked for iTunes, so why won't it work for Tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by CableNOT
    The announcement states:

and:

Thats what I "read" too, I dont care what some salesman "said".
    If anyone knows differently, please provide a link to where you read that the resultant disk could be played ony any DVD player. It seems clear you need a content key, where will you plug it in to a DVD player?

29 hack

one of you will figure it out lol
    cause you people are smart

I don't think this will be available for DTiVos! That would cause serious problems!
    - Vadim
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vadim
    I don't think this will be available for DTiVos! That would cause serious problems!
    Agreed. DirecTV has always been sensitive to anyone having direct access to their feeds. Which explains why HMO isn't available on DTivos
    3 HDVR2s:
    All legally modified

I always thought HMO was Health Insurance.