Page 19 of 44 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: How to disable tystream encryption to enable extraction

Quote Originally Posted by m509272
    NutKase,

Thanks for the reply. Nope that wasn't it. The bcc version of mfs_export doesn't seem to work. The only thing I did was replace the bcc version with that from s2bins.tar and it worked. Changed absolutely nothing else. Already had the mfs_ftp directory in my path.

Cheers,
    Scott

Not in path? Well I guess I'll start telling folks you have to have a 'good working' mfs_export in your path .

What's bcc?

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

NutKase

per this post regarding MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

replace /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_stream with the one bcc posted to fix the priority set issue

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...59&page=1&pp=1

The way I got it to work was to not put the bcc binaries in.

Quote Originally Posted by m509272
    NutKase

per this post regarding MFS_FTP on Series 2 Units

replace /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_stream with the one bcc posted to fix the priority set issue

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...59&page=1&pp=1

The way I got it to work was to not put the bcc binaries in.
    Well it does say to replace mfs_stream and not mfs_export... ALTHOUGH, mfs_export is included.

I'm sure if this continues/is shown to be the problem rc3105 will edit as required.

Good job figuring it out.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    Fully hacked SA S1

The patch for 3.1.1c works as advestised. Just make sure you have the correct s2 binaries for mfs_ftp. Otherwise, ciphercheck.tcl will get output like:
    Code:
    TyStream encryption is currently enabled.

Here is the status of your current recordings:

Encrypted CSO Set Stream Name
    --------- ------- -----------------------------------------------------------
    Yes       No      LAX
    Yes       Yes     Las Vegas
    Obvious, this isn't right! I was apparently using the wrong version of mfs_export. Once the correct mfs_export (Post several pages back in this thread), everything display properly!!!

Cheers,
    bluemodena

Quote Originally Posted by bluemodena
    The patch for 3.1.1c works as advestised. Just make sure you have the correct s2 binaries for mfs_ftp. Otherwise, ciphercheck.tcl will get output like
    I think your post is in error. There's no way that mfs_export will change the output yes/no on encryption.

[EDIT]Well the post below shows what I didn't know .

Check your notes, better yet, put the wrong mfs_export back and run ciphercheck.tcl again to prove that the output changes back to the encrypted one.

[EDIT] Thanks for the double-blind test below. It does help.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 09-17-2004 at 10:33 AM.
    Fully hacked SA S1

Well, heres a complete breakdown of what the script does.

First it opens the livetv tystream part index, then executes an mfs_export on the first four bytes of the very *last* part in the index. The reason it grabs the last is because if you just disabled the encryption, and then did a fresh reboot, your tivo will always create a new tystream for the livecache, which ends up being the last one in the index, and therefore its crypto status should always agree with the current crypto status of your tivo.

It compares those four bytes against the hex number 0xF5467ABD, which is the plaintext magic number of *any* tystream. If the data grabbed via mfs_export doesn't match this, then the stream is assumed to be encrypted, period, because all encrypted tystreams will have an encrypted version of this data here, which will never match the plaintext version.

It then populates the nowshowing list, and for each individual recording, it only pays attention to the very first tystream part (the rest are ignored in the interest of time, and theres no situation whatsoever where the remainder of the parts in that stream shouldn't match the first in terms of crypto status.)

It then looks at the CommercialSkipOffset attribute for that first part. If that attribute either doesn't exist, or does but reads zero, then it tells you that the CSO is not set, which usually indicates a stream that never was encrypted. If it is set, and the stream isn't encrypted, then that stream was probably recorded with an older kernel based hack as opposed to tivoapp based.

After that it does the mfs_export check described above on the stream, and reports what it found.

Now there are ways I have seen that the "Encrypted" result can incorrectly be a yes, even though the stream isn't really encrypted.

One way is with a corrupt tystream. I have only seen this happen on an LBA-48 setup that was misconfigured. What was happening is the tystream data that was supposed to be written beyond the 137 gig boundary ended up wrapping around and being written somewhere else on the disk, overwriting a tystream part that was supposed to be part of a different stream. Some parts beyond the beginning of one tystream ended up being written over the beginning of another tystream, thus the data that is supposed to be in the magic number was overwriten with something that wasn't supposed to be there. Thus when mfs_export got the four byte data, it was wrong, so the stream was interpreted to be encrypted, even though the data that was there wasn't actually encrypted. Note that when streams were corrupted like this, they wouldn't play on the tivo anyways (you would be able to extract them and play them though, but naturally you wouldn't have the actual stream that you expected to have, instead you'd have something else.) Moral of the story is to make sure you have a properly LBA-48'ed kernel with a big hard drive

The other way it's possible is if mfs_export isn't returning the data that it is supposed to be returning, even though the stream isn't corrupt and the stream isn't encrypted. I have only seen this happen one time, but it was in a developmental setup that wasn't particularly sane, and I am not quite sure what caused it. It may have been due to a bad MFS partition (tivoapp played the streams fine without a CSO attribute though, as well as the xbox via ccxstream, so they weren't encrypted.)
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 09-15-2004 at 06:02 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    Well, heres a complete breakdown of what the script does.
    Now, that is BEautiful info.

Thanks for the explanation. It'll go far at bringing up the knowledge level,

...for me, and probably others.

NutKase
    Fully hacked SA S1

Thanks, AlphaWolf, for the post on how the script works! Very informative. I can't say I exactly followed everything, but I think I understand enough to be dangerous.

NutKase, with that said, I can't really comment on the technical aspect of why mfs_export would possibily be in error, but here's what I did...

I ran the 3.1.1.c patch on tivoapp. Now, at this point in time, all I want to do is ensure the new shows are not being encrypted for possible extraction later. I then thought I followed the instructions correctly for running ciphercheck.tcl. mfs_ftp_v1.2.9 was untarred in the /var directory. Then, the s2bin were copied over top. ciphercheck.tcl returned tystream encrypted enabled with YES NO. After scratching various places on my body I repeated the steps and got the same results. The next day I re-read the various threads on S2 mfs_ftp and found different S2 binaries throughout the thread. Using bdraw's post, I verified tivoapp was patched correctly. I completely deleted and re-untarred mfs_ftp with the new S2 bins I found. When I ran ciphercheck.tcl, everything worked. Tystream encrypted disabled with NO NO.

Please note this is same result bdraw posted as well as at least 2 others several pages back!

Furthermore, at you suggestion, I replaced mfs_export with the original one in the download (v1.2.9, I believe). Again, ciphercheck.tcl returned tystream encrypted enabled with YES NO.

Setup:
    3.1.1c Sleeper'd with tivoweb and kmem removed.
    TivowebPlus installed and running
    mfs_ftp bins D/L'd to Tivo but not running.

Code:
    tivo:/$ cd /tvbin
    tivo:/tvbin$ dd if=tivoapp of=/tmp/foo bs=1 count=4 skip=6495772
    4+0 records in
    4+0 records out
    tivo:/tvbin$ od -t x1 /tmp/foo
    0000000 3c 02 00 00

tivo:/tvbin$ mount -o remount,rw /

tivo:/tvbin$ cd /var/mfs_ftp
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ cp mfs_export mfs_export.SAVE
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ ./ciphercheck.tcl
    CipherCheck.tcl by AlphaWolf_HK

couldn't open "/tmp/scrambletest": no such file or directory
        while executing
    "open "/tmp/scrambletest" r"
        (procedure "crypcheck" line 3)
        invoked from within
    "crypcheck $fsid"
        ("uplevel" body line 8)
        invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
        invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
        (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
        invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
        set objindex [strim [mfs scan /Recording/LiveCache -start "" -count 1]]
        set fsid [lindex $objindex 0]
        set obj [db $db o..."
        (file "./ciphercheck.tcl" line 50)
    tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ touch /tmp/scrambletest

TyStream encryption is currently enabled.

Yes       No      LAX
    Yes       Yes     Las Vegas

tivo:/var/mfs_ftp$ mv mfs_export.SAVE mfs_export

TyStream encryption is currently disabled.

No        No      LAX
    No       Yes     Las Vegas

Maybe I'm not doing something right here, but I wanted to post because it seemed to me others were reporting similar problems. I hope I didn't offend or insult anyone. I'm just trying to help.

Cheers,
    bluemodena

that was easy...

Strange... I did everything according to the directions and ran ciphercheck. It came back saying encryption was enabled.

Checked mfs_export, added to path, rebooted.

Ran ciphercheck again and it says that encryption is disabled! It also says all the encryption for the shows is disabled, but the CSO is set.

That was too easy! I must have done SOMETHING wrong!! ;-)

Hi, I'm a bit confused and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I proceed and mess up my shows.

I received the new update a few months back (and the subsequent update to fix the freezing video) on my S1 DirecTivo, I believe the version is now 3.1.0.c2

I previously used noscramble.o and autoscramble. I did convert to the tivoapp patch which i did manually and successfully.

I believe this means I have 3 levels of "scramble".

1 - "no scramble" type unscramble that fools the tivo

2 - fully scrambled

3 - fully unscrambled thanks to tivoapp patch.

The Tivo seems to be playing back type the fully scrambled video fine. Does that make sense? Or perhaps the unscramble.o was running during the "interim" when it took me 2 months to break into my Tivo after the upgrade. But I really don't think so considering that TivoWeb was running and neither could I access via TCP/IP over my LAN.

I ran ciphercheck just out of curiosity and got

couldn't open "/tmp/scrambletest": no such file or directory
    while executing
    "open "/tmp/scrambletest" r"
    (procedure "crypcheck" line 3)
    invoked from within
    "crypcheck $fsid"
    ("uplevel" body line 8)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within
    "transaction {uplevel $body}"
    (procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
    invoked from within
    "RetryTransaction {
    set objindex [strim [mfs scan /Recording/LiveCache -start "" -count 1]]
    set fsid [lindex $objindex 0]
    set obj [db $db o..."
    (file "/var/hack/ciphercheck.tcl" line 50)

I do think that mfs_export and cat are present because they both run if I just type them by themselves at the bash prompt.

I'm afraid to proceed further :-]

complete moron

Okay I have been reading these forums on the tcd540040 for about 3 hours now and am more confused than ever. I just bought the unit today. I have not subscribed yet and all i want to do it take the HD from my tivo, plug it in to my PC and dl the video to put on a dvd. all it is, is cartoons for my 5 year old. I have read that you have to flash the prom but cant find out how. I have read to enter lines but again am unsure of how. I know my way around a pc fairly well, No linux experience though and i think this is why i am getting confused. Can some one help this moron get the cartoons on his pc for his little girl?? PLEASE?? I am paying for the service witch is fair but i need some help.
    Thanks in advance
    Mega

Quote Originally Posted by megalizard
    Okay I have been reading these forums on the tcd540040 for about 3 hours now and am more confused than ever. I just bought the unit today. I have not subscribed yet and all i want to do it take the HD from my tivo, plug it in to my PC and dl the video to put on a dvd. all it is, is cartoons for my 5 year old. I have read that you have to flash the prom but cant find out how. I have read to enter lines but again am unsure of how. I know my way around a pc fairly well, No linux experience though and i think this is why i am getting confused. Can some one help this moron get the cartoons on his pc for his little girl?? PLEASE?? I am paying for the service witch is fair but i need some help.
    Thanks in advance
    Mega
    Mega, unfortunetly for an unexperienced user, what you want to do isn't really possible on your particular unit. As of now (or at least publically), no software hack has been released for the TCD540040; the only way to hack the unit is to socked and reprogram the PROM chip on the Tivo motherboard. I would personally recommend (higher ups feel free to correct me on this) that you return that unit to the place you purchased it from and buy a refurbished/used TCD240040 (black Series 2 model) on eBay and try and modify that.

Justin
    Last edited by compwiz312; 09-20-2004 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by compwiz312
    Mega, unfortunetly for an unexperienced user, what you want to do isn't really possible. As of now (or at least publically), no software hack has been released for the TCD540040; the only way to hack the unit is to socked and reprogram the PROM chip on the Tivo motherboard. I would personally recommend (higher ups feel free to correct me on this) that you return that unit to the place you purchased it from and buy a refurbished/used TCD240040 (black Series 2 model) on eBay and try and modify that.

Justin
    I was affraid you were going to say that. So lets say i get ahold of a TCD240040 how hard is it to do it then. I found one for 50 bucks but want to make sure i can do what i want to before i buy it?
    Last edited by megalizard; 09-20-2004 at 12:45 AM.

Disabling tystream encryption for 3.1.1d

I have not installed 3.1.1d, nor tested this patch. Looking at the tivoapp for 3.1.1d, the line to modify is at 0xa32fec. To disable the tystream encryption for a series 2 dtivo:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6500332
    Last edited by AhoyMatey; 09-21-2004 at 07:22 PM.
    There's no place like ~/

I just got 3.1.5d on my HD Tivo. What should I be looking for to determine the tivoapp mod location?
    Tivo since '99, DirecTV since '96, Comcast since '06, FiOS TV '07!

3 x S2 DT
    2 x S3 w/ 2xCCs and 1.5TB each
    2 x TivoHD w/ 2xCCs and 1TB each

Sony Black Pearl on 110" Stewart FHG3