Thread: How to disable tystream encryption to enable extraction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Disabling tystream encryption:

NOTICE: I am no longer updating this post as its original purpose has been served quite well, which was to transition people from the older more convoluted method to the new and simpler™ method. This kind of thing should now be delegated to the patch threads that show up every time a new version comes around for its respective tivo platform.

Warning: The below instructions should be fairly straightforward, but if you don't have much experience with computers beyond the simple usage of everyday microsoft windows applications, then please do not read any further and leave your tivo in its stock configuration. Thank you.
    I was having an IRC discussion, and a leprechaun gave me a special patch for tivoapp that is the end all to be all solution to scrambling on a Tivo (which means that this ISN'T all my work, so do not pass any credits to me)

This patch forces tivoapp to not encrypt recordings by setting a static boolean expression from true to false (its only a two byte patch for all currently existing tivo software versions.)

If you are using an older noscramble method (e.g. kernel patches, modules, kmem, etc) be sure to remove it first. If you are hacking your tivo for the first time, proceed to the first step and ignore the rest of this paragraph. In contrast with the older "noscramble" methods that involved removing the kernel wrapper entirely, encrypted recordings made prior to applying this patch will play back fine. Older noscramble methods may interfere with the tivos ability to play back encrypted streams if you do not want to decrypt them (see below for instructions on decrypting them.)

Note: Legacy Tivo SW versions below 3.1.X will NOT be supported. Also, for StandAlone tivo users, this only applies for 4.x and greater. This does not apply at all to UK tivos.

Do the following for this patch: (FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY)

Make sure your root partition is writable. e.g.
    Code:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Make a backup copy of /tvbin/tivoapp e.g.
    Code:
    cp /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.orig
    Do this number:
    Code:
    cd /tvbin
    mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
    cp tivoapp.tmp tivoapp
    chmod 755 tivoapp
    If you are an S1 user with Software Version 3.1.0c2, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x48\x00\x00\x38" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4678532
    If you are an S2 or HDTIVO user with Software Version 3.1.5f, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984684
    If you are an S2 user with Software Version 5.1.1b, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x24\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10001408
    If you are an S2 user with Software Version 5.2, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x24\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=11437232
    If you are an S2 user with Software Version 5.3, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x24\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10028224
    If you are an S2 user with Software Version 6.2, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10705308
    If you are an S2 user with Software Version 7.1b, type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=2691728
    If you use MFS_FTP, clear out your XML cache, e.g. (assuming mfs_ftp is in /var/mfs_ftp)
    Code:
    rm /var/mfs_ftp/cache/*.xml
    For you readonly root types:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Then:
    Code:
    reboot
    After (not before) the reboot, you can delete the /tvbin/tivoapp.tmp file to free up space on your rootfs.

Continued in the following post.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 12-19-2006 at 01:57 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?