Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to disable tystream encryption to enable extraction

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf
    If you are an S1 user with Software Version 3.1.0b ONLY (not 3.1.0), type this command:
    Code:
    echo -ne "\x48\x00\x00\x38" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4678456
    I was a bit nervous, but it worked like a charm.

Note: Legacy Tivo SW versions below 3.X will NOT be supported.
    Not to be picky but isn't 3.1.0 [not b] in the 3.X series.
    I have searched to see if there was an upgrade posted to take 3.1.0 to the "b" but cannot find it. Is there one out there and i just didn't search enough or is it an upgrade through the sat/phone call.

If you are an S1 user with
    Software Version 3.1.0b ONLY (not 3.1.0), type this command:
    I read that David B. posted the file offset for 3.1.0 but i am not a programmer and if someone would translate that into what the command could possible be then I could try it. Bad news is that my tivo with the network is 2.5.2 and my 3.1.0 doesn't have a turbonet in it yet. was waitn to see if the cache card really did speed up the menus.

BTW Thanks for the post Alpha and the leprechaun.

Quote Originally Posted by ibsleepn
    Not to be picky but isn't 3.1.0 [not b] in the 3.X series.
    Yes, but the patch hasn't been tested yet. It would be very irresponsible for me to post a patch that not even one person has verified to work yet. Also, afaik somebody is coming around with an unofficial 3.1.0b upgrade that automatically applies several hacks, to include this one. That said, its probably in everybodies best interest to just upgrade rather than track an old version, because the changes in the b version are small at best, and your average person wont know the difference (hence no inconveniences.)
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 01-13-2004 at 07:38 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

i can confirm that david bought's posted offset is correct. just keep in mind that the posted value is in hex and the commands in the op are in decimal.

ronny

Yes, but the patch hasn't been tested yet. It would be very irresponsible for me to post a patch that not even one person has verified to work yet. Also, afaik somebody is coming around with an unofficial 3.1.0b upgrade that automatically applies several hacks, to include this one. That said, its probably in everybodies best interest to just upgrade rather than track an old version, because the changes in the b version are small at best, and your average person wont know the difference (hence no inconveniences.)
    Thanks for the post AlphaWolf. Guess I will wait for the unofficial upgrade to come around.

Well, if it is confirmed to work, then heres the dd equivalent of that patch for 3.1.0:

Code:
    echo -ne "\x48\x00\x00\x38" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=4678216
    I wont be adding this to the main post for the reason stated above, plus I am using up the 5000 byte limit Just upgrade and all will be well in the world. (also, something tells me that 3.1.0b will be the last S1 update for a long time, if ever)
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

AW--I've read this thread twice and I'm confused. If the noscramble approach that I'm using is working fine what is the advantage of changing? Is the tivo more stable? Will the unit run quicker with less overhead? Extractions faster because of less overhead? It doesn't sound like this approach is any more likely to survive an unintended software update that the traditional approaches.

I think it's a nice find but am trying to figure out a reason to make the change. I must be missing something. I don't have any scrambled shows.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie
    AW--I've read this thread twice and I'm confused. If the noscramble approach that I'm using is working fine what is the advantage of changing? Is the tivo more stable? Will the unit run quicker with less overhead? Extractions faster because of less overhead? It doesn't sound like this approach is any more likely to survive an unintended software update that the traditional approaches.

I think it's a nice find but am trying to figure out a reason to make the change. I must be missing something. I don't have any scrambled shows.
    If you use the kmem noscramble approach your noscramble'd recordings will not play back correctly on a tivo that does not have the noscramble hack. This new hack leaves the recordings playable on any tivo. At least thats how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by malfunct
    If you use the kmem noscramble approach your noscramble'd recordings will not play back correctly on a tivo that does not have the noscramble hack. This new hack leaves the recordings playable on any tivo. At least thats how I understand it.
    Of course if you've patched one tivoapp you can patch others. I'm not changing anything, so far mine's working... but it's cool to have alternatives.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

If the noscramble approach that I'm using is working fine what is the advantage of changing?
    The noscramble approach works poorly if you already have scrambled recordings on the unit. Autoscramble was an interim solution but this works much better.

This patch also keeps the CSO keys consistent with the actual scrambling status, which will help in the future if an auto-descrambling mfs_ftp is released.

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like this is the best way to go for newly hacked units. I installed noscrmable at the same time I replaced my factory drive. Didn't bother even trying to keep any recordings.

Sounds like this approach give greater compatability between scrambled and unscrambled shows.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bought
    The noscramble approach works poorly if you already have scrambled recordings on the unit. Autoscramble was an interim solution but this works much better.

This patch also keeps the CSO keys consistent with the actual scrambling status, which will help in the future if an auto-descrambling mfs_ftp is released.

newbie - if it ain't broke, don't fix it... no one ever said this was THE way to have your Tivo set now... if noscramble is working for you, don't change it. but there are instances for people like myself who just hacked my directivo recently and has almost 80 hours worth of scrambled shows that I need to work on getting off. I can use unscramble to get them off, but then I can't use noscramble, otherwise I will need to either go through one big unscrambling and reinsertion session on 80 hours of programming (you gotta be kidding, right? :P ), or run noscramble, but when I want to pull old shows comment noscramble from sysinit, reboot, do the shows, hope nothing records, etc..

what I have been doing up until now was recording everything scrambled and just run unscramble on demand... believe it or not, this makes things 100x easier... I just have to remember the date that I installed this hack (1.10) and I know that everything after that date is unscrambled, and the 80+ hours before that date needs to be unscrambled.

this might not make any sense for you to do, but for some of us, this is better than sliced bread.

Honestly this patch didn't help me any either. Originally it just started as an idea that I came up with for easing the troubles of autoscramble, to which I was subsequentially told was impossible. Those are just the kinds of bonds that make it a challenge So, I came up with a working script, then ran into one little problem: what to do with the livecache having a CSO when it wasn't necessary.

Faced with this dillemna, I approached one of the tivo godfathers. I told him all of the problems that I ran into thus far, and that there was a roadblock which I couldn't deal with. Long story short, he gave me an offer I couldn't refuse...which was an even better solution, aka the patch you have available today

If you are a seasoned tivo hacker, then this patch may not be for you, because you are probably already used to whatever solution you are using. This isn't necessarily the case for the newbies however. The reason I labeled this thread "the rules have changed" is because this patch singlehandedly solves all (but one) known issues with scrambling that even the seasoned hackers faced, of which generated excess threads and posts of people ranting and complaining. Now that they are no longer an issue, there will be less to sift through when looking for information. Everybody benefits.

The only issue with scrambling that remains today is a problem with HMO (note: ALL scramble methods suffer this problem). The leprechaun told me that in a normal situation, if a CSO either doesn't exist, or if it is just zero, then tivoapp totally skips the decryption step completely. This isn't the case with HMO however. HMO assumes that the stream is always scrambled, and if no CSO attribute is detected, or if its null, the receiving tivo tries to decrypt the stream with 0x000000000.... This simply wont work, and naturally, the key to making it work would be to somehow get the tivo to skip the decryption step completely. However, pulling this off would probably be easier said than done.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 01-14-2004 at 01:54 PM.

think about this: if the tivo takes an upgrade and the cso keys are correct for unscrambled shows they'll play under the new sw

you'll still have to hack back in to disable scrambling for new recordings but your significant other won't skin you alive in the meantime

The only issue with scrambling that remains today is a problem with HMO (note: ALL scramble methods suffer this problem). The leprechaun told me that in a normal situation, if a CSO either doesn't exist, or if it is just zero, then tivoapp totally skips the decryption step completely. This isn't the case with HMO however. HMO assumes that the stream is always scrambled, and if no CSO attribute is detected, or if its null, the receiving tivo tries to decrypt the stream with 0x000000000.... This simply wont work, and naturally, the key to making it work would be to somehow get the tivo to skip the decryption step completely.
    or give it a decrypt key that results in a 1:1 copy - goes through the motions but doesn't actually decrypt
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Quote Originally Posted by rc3105
    or give it a decrypt key that results in a 1:1 copy - goes through the motions but doesn't actually decrypt
    Unfortunately, not all crypto schemes have an identity key (one that the input equals the output), or have one that is easy to find. In fact, having an identity key is a good reason to reject a crypto algorithm as to weak to use.