Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: How to disable tystream encryption to enable extraction

Those are actually meant to be run via bash on the Tivo itself. In theory they should work fine except you'd need to change the paths (/tvbin/tivoapp won't exist, for example; you need to add the mount point), and you really don't need to do the whole "move/rename tivoapp" thing.

Keep in mind...this won't unscramble any existing recordings. All this will do is ensure that NEW recordings are not scrambled.

To verify whether this has worked correctly, telnet into your Tivo and run ciphercheck. It will tell you whether encryption is disabled.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by cheer View Post
    Those are actually meant to be run via bash on the Tivo itself. In theory they should work fine except you'd need to change the paths (/tvbin/tivoapp won't exist, for example; you need to add the mount point), and you really don't need to do the whole "move/rename tivoapp" thing.

Keep in mind...this won't unscramble any existing recordings. All this will do is ensure that NEW recordings are not scrambled.

To verify whether this has worked correctly, telnet into your Tivo and run ciphercheck. It will tell you whether encryption is disabled.
    OK I guess my next task is to re-study the articles on getting a bash prompt, and using telnet. Then forget about booting the TiVo drives from the LBA48 cd which from your post sounds like I would actually be doing more work rather than less. Then after I've gotten the scrambling shut down I'll need to try the "in place" unscramble thread. Again I'm making some assumptions, have I got something wrong?
    WTTW Ken

I would think you already have telnet running -- doesn't tytool use telnet to log in and start tserver? So...open up a command prompt (assuming a Windows PC) and type "telnet x.x.x.x" (replace "x.x.x.x" with the IP address of your Tivo).

As for the unscrambling...that's definitely more advanced, but doable and works very well. Since you're starting to work with TyTool already, you might consider using the TyTool extraction method -- it unscrambles as it pulls them off.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer
    Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.

Red face

I would think you already have telnet running -- doesn't tytool use telnet to log in and start tserver? So...open up a command prompt (assuming a Windows PC) and type "telnet x.x.x.x" (replace "x.x.x.x" with the IP address of your Tivo).

As for the unscrambling...that's definitely more advanced, but doable and works very well. Since you're starting to work with TyTool already, you might consider using the TyTool extraction method -- it unscrambles as it pulls them off.
    Well, I certainly have missed something here. I'll need to get home (I'm at work now) and check into the TyTool extraction. Just briefly from memory, I used the TyTools program to copy the ty files to my PC. I followed the steps outlined at : http://www.weethet.nl/english/tivo_e...NowShowingList

It was during "Step 7" that I had gotten the error that led me to believe the recordings were encrypted. From this:
    Since you're starting to work with TyTool already, you might consider using the TyTool extraction method -- it unscrambles as it pulls them off.
    It sounds like somehow I have missed something in TyTools that unscrambles the ty files. Hmmm, is there a difference between "extraction" and "copying" the shows? I was assuming that these meant the same thing. Taking this assumption just one more step, could it have something to do with "Step 3" and the "TyStream Mode" that it has directed me to do?
    WTTW Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rathgar2 View Post
    It sounds like somehow I have missed something in TyTools that unscrambles the ty files. Hmmm, is there a difference between "extraction" and "copying" the shows? I was assuming that these meant the same thing. Taking this assumption just one more step, could it have something to do with "Step 3" and the "TyStream Mode" that it has directed me to do?
    WTTW Ken
    Sorry, didn't mean to confuse the issue. Standard TyTool will NOT unscramble. The unscramble process involves configuring "monte" to load a custom kernel, then using a custom version of the TyTool server ("tserver") that will allow you to extract the shows unscrambled. It's not a simple process, but it does work.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Red face

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse the issue. Standard TyTool will NOT unscramble. The unscramble process involves configuring "monte" to load a custom kernel, then using a custom version of the TyTool server ("tserver") that will allow you to extract the shows unscrambled. It's not a simple process, but it does work.
    Hmm alright, I am looking for info on what the "monte" is and not coming up with anything in the forums nor wikipedia. Is this a bit of slang? I'm taking a guess here: the "monte" is the TiVo OS or the initial hardware/software like the BIOS in my PC that determines the very first initial settings. Did I even get close?

Thanx for your patience and your contribution and your advice on this. I'd like to learn the most efficent way of doing this. During my first adventure in hacking the TiVo my boss gave me a raise for learning what I have up to this point. I seems like the process will go smooth as soon as I understand what I am going to do. It is looking like I'll need to order a serial cable to try anything involving the bash prompt commands.
    WTTW Ken
    Last edited by Rathgar2; 10-25-2006 at 03:24 PM.

You should find plenty on monte here in the forums -- but in brief, it's a way of chainloading kernels. You can't boot a custom kernel on a Tivo (unless it's been PROM-modded), so monte allows you to boot the normal kernel just enough to pass the security check, then chainload the custom kernel. We need a custom kernel to load in order to descramble.

Take a look here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22154. The specifics are old, but the concept hasn't changed at all. Then search on "S2_Unscramble" to find the thread/tools/etc. for descrambling.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

35 The Hardest part of a new language is the ton of new vocab...

You should find plenty on monte here in the forums -- but in brief, it's a way of chainloading kernels. You can't boot a custom kernel on a Tivo (unless it's been PROM-modded), so monte allows you to boot the normal kernel just enough to pass the security check, then chainload the custom kernel. We need a custom kernel to load in order to descramble.

Take a look here: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=22154. The specifics are old, but the concept hasn't changed at all. Then search on "S2_Unscramble" to find the thread/tools/etc. for descrambling.
    OK I see now that my guess was not really close. This did help me make it a bit clearer in my mind. I've read the first 3 pages of the thread. Is this correct "monte" is actually a Linux command like "copy C:\abcd.bat C:\temp\abcd.bat" where "copy" is a DOS command. I can tell from this that I could read more pages of this but might not really understand the process till I see it in action and have it under my fingers.

I actually have the S2_Unscramble thread in my favorites and have d/l ed files last Friday but have not exactly figured out how to put it into action.

Am I correct, this process cannot be accomplished via the Ethernet, telnet, or FTP of putting the files or commands into the TiVo, I will have to get a serial connector (9thtee.com) and get a bash prompt accessed before I can go any further along this route?
    WTTW Ken

First, monte is not a "command" in the sense that copy is in DOS...it's an external program (for DOS, think format.com or chkdsk.exe). Well, technically it's an external program and a kernel module, but that's not a big deal right now.

And no you don't need serial bash if you have telnet bash available to you.
    --
    Christopher D. Heer

Monte is more of a technique -- even the original threads describe it like two-card monte. The typical monte game, three card monte, is a gambling game where the dealer moves the three cards around quickly trying to obfuscate the target or winning card.

Tivo monte is more like tricking the tivo into loading a custom kernel by first partially booting with an original kernel which passes the PROM signature checks, then through some fancy maneuvering immediately soft-booting into the custom kernel once the machine is running. You need the monte.o module to assist with the reboot-but- not-really-reboot function.

This great thread by ScanMan should clear things up: http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48985

Read EVERY SINGLE WORD.

Red face

First, monte is not a "command" in the sense that copy is in DOS...it's an external program (for DOS, think format.com or chkdsk.exe). Well, technically it's an external program and a kernel module, but that's not a big deal right now.

And no you don't need serial bash if you have telnet bash available to you.
    You sir are rather kind, thank you for explaining the difference. I've been able to get this far without such major misunderstandings. Thanx for clearing that up. I'm reading deeper into the S2_Unscramble thread and will try to get through it before posting my next question. Again thank you.
    WTTW Ken

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Narf54321 View Post
    Monte is more of a technique -- even the original threads describe it like two-card monte. The typical monte game, three card monte, is a gambling game where the dealer moves the three cards around quickly trying to obfuscate the target or winning card.

Tivo monte is more like tricking the tivo into loading a custom kernel by first partially booting with an original kernel which passes the PROM signature checks, then through some fancy maneuvering immediately soft-booting into the custom kernel once the machine is running. You need the monte.o module to assist with the reboot-but- not-really-reboot function.
    Again thanks for weighing in on this. The card game analogy solidifies the things I have been reading but only half-way understanding. The concept seems to now be clear in my head. The thread that Drez posted is my next stop.

Question I'm doing something wrong here...

I am trying this out after figuring out how to get to my bash prompt. I tried running the ciphercheck as soon as I got to my bash prompt and this is what I got:

bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# bootpage -p /dev/hda
    root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,9600
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# ciphercheck.tcl
    bash: ciphercheck.tcl: command not found
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02#

so I then thought "oh I think I need to put a copy of it somewhere on the TiVo disk. So I FTP'ed into the TiVo drive and set my transfer type to Binary and dropped a copy of the ciphercheck.tcl right into the root of the drive.

Then I tried running it again. Same thing. Then I tried putting a copy of it into some of the other folders and tried running it again. I tried putting it into /dev ; /hack ; /tmp ; /utls ; /var/tmp none of these folders supplied results. I tried cd /var/tmp and got the same:

bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# cd /var/tmp
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02# dirs
    /var/tmp
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02#
    bash-2.02#

So all together now, let's all point at the stupid fool and laugh. Yes I am embarrassed to say this but I am missing something very simple here. How do I run the ciphercheck? What folders do I copy these files to? Am I missing a setup command or something like a "mount" command?

I must say that you are indeed teaching me things here. Just last week I could not understand how to telnet into my TiVo, I was thinking about how to get a bash prompt through a serial cable that had no serial port on the back of my Hughes SD-DVR40, so your efforts here are certainly working at teaching a numbskull like me a thing or two. So thank you in advance for your attention.
    WTTW Ken

Make sure it's executable. Try:
    Code:
    chmod 755 ciphercheck.tcl
    ./ciphercheck.tcl
    Do this in the same directory or else make sure it's in your path. FYI, 'ciphercheck.tcl' is kind of deprecated I believe; look for 'ciphercheck' (no .tcl extension) in AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities.
    ScanMan --> Just another Tivo hacker...
    Killhdinitrd SA S2 Monte S2 Unscramble Upgrade Tivo Software