Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMART drive monitoring Tool/s

SMART drive monitoring Tool/s

I was looking thought sourceforge for tools that would benifit the TiVo and came upon a tool that monitors/reports on the SMART status of hard drives. Here is the link: http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net.

The question I have for the experts is given thier knowledge of the series 1/2 hardware do you think this would work if re-compiled? From the looks of the tool it is even capable of pulling drive temperature off the drive.

What say ye?

(I know David your going to say try it and let you know.....)
    I intend to but I wanted one of the experts to tell me if they think it would be a waste of time....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    One Still slightly confused Hacker,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

It is not a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bought
    It is not a waste of time.
    Thanks, I will try in the next couple of days to get a compile of it....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,
    4 dogs, 8 cats, and 1 wife that is happy as long as I don't screw up her TiVo ...... Oh yeah two grandchildren that are the light of my life!

Already been done over at Tivocommunity.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=153428

I've attached the Series 1 version

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    Already been done over at Tivocommunity.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=153428

I've attached the Series 1 version
    Thanks JJ..
    I think we saw it at the same time.

I also saw where it is native on TiVo..
    I typed smartctl from bash and lo and behold it is there. Although, it appears to be an ancient version 1.2...

The release that is up on the web is 5.26... gonna try and get a compile of this version for the series 2.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Here is a the latest version for Mips S2

I have compiled both smartctl and smartd. See below post for attachment.
    Last edited by tivomaster; 01-18-2004 at 04:40 PM.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Quote Originally Posted by tivomaster
    Note: If this looks good I will give it a whirl to compile the smartd (daemon) tool that periodically polls and monitors the smart status of the drive/s.
    Wouldn't it be sweet if it posted a mail and/or OSD message if it finds anything wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by jonbig
    Wouldn't it be sweet if it posted a mail and/or OSD message if it finds anything wrong?
    That should be doable...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Here is a compile of the latest version (5.26) of smartctl for the Mips (Series 2)
    looks good! now if we could only do acoustic management native on the tivo; alas, from what i've read, it requires kernel mods which makes it less of a drop-in.

ronny

Quote Originally Posted by ronnythunder
    looks good! now if we could only do acoustic management native on the tivo; alas, from what i've read, it requires kernel mods which makes it less of a drop-in.

ronny
    thanks ronny, I just got my cross-compiler up and this was my first project.
    smartctly compile was pretty easy. I think I will try and tackle smartd...
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

thanks ronny, I just got my cross-compiler up and this was my first project.
    smartctl compile was pretty easy. I think I will try and tackle smartd...
    I have compiled smartd and included it in the attachement.....
    This one has all of the smartmontools for the MIPS platform.

With smartd it will run in the background and you should be able to have it fire off a tcl script when it sees an error. From this you could easily have it email you or put up a TiVo mail message... Take a look at the sourceforge site http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net.

Note there is a readme.txt in the zip file for more information.
    Last edited by tivomaster; 01-18-2004 at 04:43 PM.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

smartd is working

Just a note to let you guys know that smartd appears to work without issues. I have had it running on my hdvr2 for a couple of days with no problems.

My next project is to write a tcl script that will post any errors/messages in the TiVo mail that way I don't have to keep looking at the messages log....
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

Hi tivomaster - have you seen that a call to smartctl has been added to Sandertons "Daily Mail" tcl script which, when run under cron, can send you a daily email of information about your TiVo including any failing disc drives.

Granted the Daily Mail is more of a once-a-day thing and therefore won't spot a dying drive for up to 24 hours, but using the TiVo messaging system is a great idea also!

That should be doable...
    I have attached an script that will post smartd errors in a log...

To use this
    1. put smartd.conf in /var/hack/etc
    2. put smartdalert in /var/hack/bin
    NOTE: you can put smartdalert anywhere but you will have to modify smartd.conf to point to it's path
    3. chmod 777 smartdalert so it can be executable
    4. if smartd is already running stop it
    5. run smartd

This will cause smartd daemon to fire off the smartdalert script when it sees an error.
    It will also fire off a when smartd starts up so you can tell it works.

Right now what the script does is post the result of the error along with some debug info into a log file /var/log/smartd (see samplelog)...

I plan in the future to have it post a TiVo message to TiVo Central....

Have fun...
    TM

[Edit] removed attachment see below post for update...
    Last edited by tivomaster; 01-26-2004 at 08:40 PM.
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,

SMARTD Now posts messages to the TiVo....

I plan in the future to have it post a TiVo message to TiVo Central....
    It now posts messages in the Pre-Tivo Central message que. That way you don't have to keep checking the logs...

Just found this post http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31741 with this you can even get it to send you an email when it see's problems...

TM
    Four Hacked HDVR2's,