Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone every successfully fixed a bad tuner on their unit?

Has anyone every successfully fixed a bad tuner on their unit?

Tuner 1 finally went completely on me and I am looking for someone who has fixed this problem (hopefully someone out there has).

sfg

I do em every day........the hitch is finding the part, doesnt exist anymore......

Which part is it?

I assume it is usually the same part that goes.

sfg

Do you have signal on any transponders, you must check all on 101A on BOTH tuners. Report back what you have if any. You may have a pattern of only the first few, odds or evens. Check #2 to see if it has signal issues also. You may have low 30 volt line, bad lnbp chip, or bad tuner. The QSPK chips goes in the tuner often, but theres 2 caps that sometimes go too. I jsut replace the whole tuner mostly...........

No signal at all on tuner 1. Tuner 2 is fine.

I used my IR temp gun to check for temp in various parts of the tuners and found that the 2 caps (I believe thats what they are) in tuner 2 are running at least 20 deg c hotter than the ones in tuner 1. Maybe it means something maybe it doesn't.

I am going to go through the tuners again and check for voltage at the lnbp's.

I will let you know what I found out and see what you think.

Thanks for the help
    sfg

just use the voltmeter and find the trace for the middle leg of the lnbp chip. DONT test right at the chips legs, shorting out 2+3 will fry your machine. Go out a bit and find the tiny hole the trace passes through to the underside of the mchine, there will be a TINY little copper ring there, test there. pins 1 and 2 should have 24v, and 3 should have 13 and 18, for evens and odds. If you switch the xponder to an even then odd the voltage should go 13 and 18. If it does 99% your chip is good, and tuner is shot. You can easily pop the cover off the tuner on the fin side and look at the large chip in the rear. It may have slight damage, and also the lower frontmost red colored capacitor goes often too.....

Thanks Greek

I will do it tonight and post my results.

sfg

Maybe I am an *****..

but I can not find a cover over any tuner nor a red capacitor

The damn thing is working again!!!!!!!?

I don't know why but it's working. I couldn't get to the screen for testing signal strength, it would just hang on please wait so I rebooted and now it works.

After numerous reboots and signal strength testing it works.

Now all I have to do is get it back in place with it wired up and see if it still works.

sfg

Now its not working again!!!!

guide data would start to download and then the tuner would go out again. I verified this by checking for signal on tuner 1.

I will check the points you mentioned but I still don't recognize your description of the tuner. Where on the board is it located?

The only thing on my board with any sort of cover on it is the rf in/out.

sfg

you have some sort of cold solder or a half contact. I am talking about the ACTUAL tuner module, you can clearly see covers on the left and right sides. The left side has a slit that touches the large main chip on the left side of the tuner. Grab a straight blade screwdriver and pop it off, you cant break it. You now have the guts exposed and the large rear chip the slit sits on is the major bad part, and the front below the coaxial cable connect is the red cap. You wont find anything if its working though. I would grab a voltometer and the schematics off the board and start tapping the tuner and frame til it stops working and test outputs. Either your lnbp chip or tuner has a bad contact or is broken on one of the pins........

I swear there is no cover. The tuner modules are open with no cover over them. I have located the tuner IC cx24108-20 and the LNBP's as well as cx24130-12 which I have found referred to as a dual demodulator. Are we talking about the HDVR2 here?

Quote Originally Posted by GREEK
    you have some sort of cold solder or a half contact. I am talking about the ACTUAL tuner module, you can clearly see covers on the left and right sides. The left side has a slit that touches the large main chip on the left side of the tuner. Grab a straight blade screwdriver and pop it off, you cant break it. You now have the guts exposed and the large rear chip the slit sits on is the major bad part, and the front below the coaxial cable connect is the red cap. You wont find anything if its working though. I would grab a voltometer and the schematics off the board and start tapping the tuner and frame til it stops working and test outputs. Either your lnbp chip or tuner has a bad contact or is broken on one of the pins........

Tuner 2 only recieving even transponder.

Just took some measurement on my LNBP chip for tuner 2. I'm getting a constant 18V when i switch between and and even transponder. LNBP chip for tuner 1 is changing between 13 and 18V? Does this mean I need a new LNBP chip?

So for I have found that the tuner sections are all ok by virtue of comparing voltages between tuner 1 and tuner 2. The only difference is at r2008 (.847v tuner 1 compared to r2017 (2.67v tuner 2).

According to the data sheet for the lnbp (comparing the two lnbp's)

Tuner 1 Tuner 2
    pin 3 LT2 7.3mv 9.8v
    pin 7 ADDR .3v 3.3v
    pin 15 DSQout 1.1v .82v (I want to verify pin 15's #'s again though)

This is what I have found so far. I can't find anything else at the moment 'cause the damn thing is working again.

Thanks again for the help Greek
    sfg

You should have said so. Didnt you post you had a T60 in the other thread? ANyway by the #s on the ICs posted you have a ser2 machine, probably an HDVR2? Look carefully at the #s you reported and you can see the problem. ANY IC has a range of power it uses. You have way too much variable going on there. .8something compared to 2.67something is way too much. Its late now, but I'll grab the schematics and give you the actual voltages supposed to be there. There are known problems with certain runs of these, mainly losing signal on odds or evens. If your losing signal al together you have a bigger problem. I have had units in the run and a new chip solved it, the problems followed the chip into a known working test unit. WHats the make date on the back of the unit.

Nostalgia...you have a bad lnbp chip. check your thread