Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new ideas for hacks: lets brainstorm

new ideas for hacks: lets brainstorm

the other day a friend (completely computer illiterate) asked why the tivo didn't have some feature or another and I was floored! in years of video work that particular idea had never crossed my mind (allthough a few were simliar) took about 5 mins to code & has been pretty handy since

lets start a feature wishlist & see where it goes. what's your heart's desire?
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

OK. You got me.

What was the feature.

where's the fun in telling? got a bet goin to see if anybody else will think of it
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

oh fer god sakes.......

umm....
    Err....

Slow Motion in REVERSE ?!?!
    Screen Capture to Disk once paused?
    PIP from other tuner

err...

Auto volume leveling ?
    FFWD with sound?
    Shuttle Jogging ?
    Auto-Update for hacks over the Internet (ala TCS)
    IR Keyboard Drivers

OK.. My head hurts
    Last edited by JJBliss; 01-21-2004 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJBliss
    FFWD with sound?
    Hey now...

Quote Originally Posted by fixn278
    Hey now...

OK.. I got a better one..

you know how WinDVD has that 1.5x option, so it plays everything just a wee bit faster then it should, and keeps the voices from getting all high pitched and chipmunk-like?

How about that?!?!

Then I could watch a 30 minute sitcom, in like 11 minutes once I ffwd past commercials. and Monster Garage/Fear Factor, in like 8 !

I could watch ALL BROADCAST TELEVSION in like 2 hours...

Well, you asked for brainstorming..

How about a feature that could display a bash prompt on the TV screen? I'd love to be able to connect to my DTivo via ethernet using a wireless keyboard without having to go elsewhere to view my PC monitor.

I'd also like to see all of my deleted programs listed in the recording history with their FSID numbers. In fact, it would be nice to see the FSIDs for all shows. Selecting a deleted show for undeletion from the list would be nice.

A menu listing in Tivo Central to access hacks like xPlusz would be a cool feature. I usually use bash to activate or deactivate the xPlusz hacks rather than the call waiting prefix so just having a bash prompt onscreen would be good enough, but a full menu would still be a treat.

How about a method that would allow editing on the Tivo using your remote to set the cut points. When they transfer over to the PC, just the selected segments would be transmitted. You already have the capability to navigate through recorded shows and can advance one frame at a time. Reassigning a remote code to flag a GOP or frame seems like it wouldn't be all that difficult, would it?

Forgive me if this is considered brainfarting instead of brainstorming.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Its probably been done, but ill take a guess.

Quick standby for peanut remote.

How about adding a web browser so you can hook up a wireless usb keyboard and surf the net from the comfort of the couch.

I think that's called a UTV.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Ideas

I'd be happy with the simple caller-id and simple text messaging to the Series 2 DTivo screen.

Also, some script-savy folk could write a very cool script library to store away recordings and retrieve those recordings to a remote "server" computer based on simple remote key combos. Again, this would be for S2 DTivos.

Since messages can be posted (Tivo message) fairly easy (even using TivoWeb), why not create a script that polls your POP3 account every couple of minutes and posts your new email as TivoMail.

There's already POP3 forwarding stuff. Look here: http://www.networkhackers.com/tpop/ I don't use it so can't vouch for it.

How about a TRUE "record every episode" capability? Take a look and you'll see the season pass option to records first runs and repeats...doesn't.

Some kind of daily-generated and stored report of upcoming wishlist items would be nice, tied to TivoWeb for adding to the "to do" list.

Given a show or episode title, find a time it can be recorded and fit it into the schedule or tell the user it can't be done without removing an existing recording. That would save "walking" through the upcoming list to find one that fits.

Complete and proper TivoWeb support for programming DTiVos. (Admittedly, I haven't installed the new update, maybe this is already fixed.)

The ability to set default recording options to start 2 minutes early and end 2 minutes later would be great. Not everyone does this by habit. For those who do, it's extra work.

Smart recording that would recognize adjacent shows on the same tuner and make one recording. This is related to the one above. When a recording stops and another one starts there's a little bit of source which is lost. Better to have a large block and pull parts than lose that content. If you buffer the start and stop times, this can potentially free up tuner time.

A way to easily start playing a file at the start of a given part. EVer tried to figure out which parts to pull from a large recording with tytool? What if you could quickly play from the beginning of any specified part?

I like captain_video's idea of on-screen bash prompt, probably done as a text overlay. Keyboard driver might be a bear to create. Would have to make sure conflicts with wirless keyboard for PC won't interfere. I assume he was thinking about an additional IR receiver plugged into the second USB port on an S2.

Allmusic.com info for the music channels would be cool.

Streamed sound via net, maybe, for remote listening. It's fairly easy to use a static HTML like to stream an MP3 without a dedicated server. I wonder if Shoutcast streaming could be done. Remote listening of any channel, not just the music ones, possibly with a mini-page to give some info (WinAmp or similar interval browser.)
    Last edited by FredThompson; 01-22-2004 at 01:22 AM.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

PIP from other tuner

As JJBLiss posted earlier, I think PIP from the other tuner would be a great hack!

Tivo Video Files Redirect

1. Redirect video files to/from a huge mapped network drive. All recordings saved from every Tivo in the house would save to the network drive, and the "Now Playing List" would be the same on each Tivo since they all pull from the networked drive.

2. Give my friend across the country with a cable modem access to my network and allow him/her to watch the shows I have recorded.

3. Gig-E support for USB 2.0 on HDVR2.

KPM