Thread: Tivoweb + Install questions

Tivoweb + Install questions

I have a Sony T-60 with cachecard
    FTP,Telnet, etc. all working

Could someone help me with some newbie questions on the install of Tivoweb +

I have read install directions from the original Tivoweb and those pointed to unzipping on your pc
    and then ftp’ing all the files to a directory of Tivoweb-tcl that you created.

My questions on the new plus version are

I will delete the existing Tivoweb-tcl directory
    I was told I needed to do this

I will transfer the downloaded latest version of Tivoweb plus to a directory of my choice
    Binary mode (I assume yes)
    Is there a smarter directory to transfer to and launch from?

I have seen a couple of different recommendations on how to unzip and install.
    Recommendations?

It was told it will make all necessary directories
    Tivoweb-tcl
    Modules

Do I need to chmod any files? If so which ones and what command?

Does this new install load anything into rc.syninit for starting on boot?
    I am fine starting with Telnet when needed (./tivoweb)

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I struggle knowing when and what to chmod and I also struggle to know
    If there are better directories to keep files in.

Quote Originally Posted by HuMan321
    I will delete the existing Tivoweb-tcl directory
    I was told I needed to do this
    Possibly collect the tivoweb.cfg file first.

Download and unzip the .zip file
    Transfer the tivowebplus-1.0-rc3.tar.gz file to your tivo via ftp. Put it anywhere you like, but /var/hack is traditional.

Telnet to your tivo, and execute the following four commands:
    cd /var/hack
    gzip -d tivowebplus-1.0-rc3.tar.gz
    cpio -i -H tar --make-directories < tivowebplus-1.0-rc3.tar
    tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

That should be it.
    (If you want, copy the config file back after expanding the tar file.)
    Thomson UK Series 1 StandAlone with 2x120 Gig Seagate disks.

Thanks for the quick response!

Are you saying that since the file is zipped it does not need to be ftp'd in the binary mode? In other words only worry about transferring in binary when they are the individual files themselves.

Also, with the recommendation of saving the .cfg file I am assuming that there is some setup you might want to save? Could you please explain this step to me?

Thanks again and sorry for what must seem like very basic questions.
    I feel if I understand what is going on I will remember better and maybe make more educated choices and questions later.

Thanks for the quick response!

Are you saying that since the file is zipped it does not need to be ftp'd in the binary mode? In other words only worry about transferring in binary when they are the individual files themselves.
    Always transfer files in binary. It just makes life easier Although that may just be my opinion.

For the record, the difference in ASCII mode is that line-breaks are converted as appropriate for the two systems. Unix/Linux uses a single linefeed character; DOS/Windows uses carriage return+line feed. The effect of this is that text files get the line breaks properly transformed, and non-text files get corrupted (as moving from Unix to Windows causes extra characters to appear in the files). If you move a text file in binary mode, the worst in can be is "a little annoying". This is where Notepad displays a square where the line-break ought to be. Wordpad, handles it correctly.

Also, with the recommendation of saving the .cfg file I am assuming that there is some setup you might want to save? Could you please explain this step to me?
    If you've never touched the config file, then don't worry about it. Just install the new one. If you've had to alter it, you can either just make the appropriate changes to the new one, or shunt the old one out of the way (using
    Code:
    cp /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb.cfg /var/hack
    ), and then put it back between unpacking the tar file and actually starting the server (this time using
    Code:
    cp /var/hack/tivoweb.cfg /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl
    ).

Thanks again and sorry for what must seem like very basic questions.
    I feel if I understand what is going on I will remember better and maybe make more educated choices and questions later.
    S'ok. It's happened to all of us at some point in time. The hard part from this end of the screen is figuring out how much information you do need, and how much you don't.
    Thomson UK Series 1 StandAlone with 2x120 Gig Seagate disks.