Thread: Monted 4.0 80Gb to 120Gb - Preserve recordings

Monted 4.0 80Gb to 120Gb - Preserve recordings

I have read quite a few threads on this. I know there isn't a good way to backup and restore monted drives.

Can I mount both HDs perform
    "mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdc" (original Tivo HD on Primary Master, new HD cabled as secondary master) to preserve the recordings then re-monte?

This is a S2 Tivo.

mfstools will not preserve backups. Plus you woul not want to run mfstools to a monted drive anyways. At least not with out changing the bootpage first. Then you will have to reapply monte.

Search for : monte mfstool

I heard something about DD copy. What is this and can it fully backup a hacked image, monte and all?

Is there no way to backup a hacked image with Monte? Is the only way to write a script like Sleeper ISO that manually applies the hacks.

If so then I think I am going to work on a hack script to apply my custom hacks after a Sleeper Surgery. What is the best language for this, tcl?

Quote Originally Posted by vu2vu
    mfstools will not preserve backups.
    You can preserve 'recordings' with mfstools. Although I haven't tried it on a monte'd drive.

NutKase
    Last edited by NutKase; 02-01-2004 at 12:27 PM.
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Oops. I meant recordings. But it won't backup a monte'd drive properly, I learned this the hard way. It only backs up the active partitions. Which would be your monte partitions, not where your root partitions are.

Getting around the mfstools limitation is not that difficult. All you have to do is switch your active partitions to the other set. This will allow mfstools to backup the proper paritions. Of course your tivo will still need to be monte'd but sleepers ISO scripts should work fine. I have also written a script that you can load up on a cd with your image to create a all in one restore / monte solution.

Quote Originally Posted by NutKase
    You can preserve backups with mfstools. Although I haven't tried it on a monte'd drive.

NutKase

NutKase - thats the command I got that was posted on Hinsdales how-to. on preserving recordings using mfstools between 2 HD's.

vu2vu - so you are saying that if I use mfstools to transfer the recordings and expand into a new hard drive that all I have to do is rerun Sleepers ISO. performing the surgery phase right?
    That was the impression I got from all the thread browsing I have done.
    Can you confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by dizman

vu2vu - so you are saying that if I use mfstools to transfer the recordings and expand into a new hard drive that all I have to do is rerun Sleepers ISO. performing the surgery phase right?
    Can you confirm?
    No this will not work. Mfstools will backup only the active partitions, which would be monte in this situation. So if you tried to backup using mfstools then re installing monte, you would be left 4 2 copies of monte and no tivo kernel or root file system. Like I said above you need to switch the bootpage before you start.

Search for: bootpage , bootpage flip , monte mfstools

Quote Originally Posted by vu2vu
    Like I said above you need to switch the bootpage before you start.

Search for: bootpage , bootpage flip , monte mfstools
    vu2vu is right. Edit your bootpage, flip it just to be sure, then mfstools backup, and you should have your recordings.

Redo the bootpage, flip it back, put the romfs, hackable kernel, and hackable fs back on, then you should be fine.

Note: don't put the drive back in your tivo and bootup after you start all this or you'll lose your hacks.

NutKase
    "God, and DealDataBase, help those that help themselves." --Shamelessly stolen from psxboy
    ------------------------------------------------
    2 each, SA S2 287hr 7.2.1a's with Lifetime.
    Hacks: 1 Manually Monte'd -140, Bash,Telnet,FTP,TivoWebPlus,
    Superpatch-67all Unscrambled/HMO,MFS_FTP Ver. N,TyTools, tivoserver
    Fully hacked SA S1

Is there not a way to backup everything? So you can just do a simple restore?

I've been looking, and reading up, but I have yet to see anything about a full backup after a Monte, and then being able to restore the .bak .mfs file with the mfsrestore command.

I am sure there has to be a way of some sort.