Page 105 of 115 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1716

Thread: Backup image and slice begging thread

Quote Originally Posted by static1701 View Post
    I picked up a TCD140060 with a lifetime subscription that was working fine. The other day it stopped working and I have found that the hard drive is bad.
    I had no idea how all this worked before I started trying to fix it or that I should have made a backup while it was working. So now I need the image file for it.
    I have found a few image files but not the correct one.
    I would be grateful if someone could help me out.

Thanks,

Static1701
    If you check the image begging thread at tivocommunityforums (title says something about don't PM me), you'll find a link I posted about 3 pages back from the current last page for a TCD24008A.

If you have a drive bigger than 80GB, (or one of those Maxtor 80GB drives that are bigger than most 80GB drives), it will probably work, since the 140 and 240 use the same software.
    Too busy TiVo wrangling to watch television anymore.

Hi all, I have a tcd24008a and am having troubles. I used the aforementioned 7.2.2-oth-k1.px (guestimation on kernel name) kernel and killhdinitrd using 9.3, it fails with "no exploits for this kernel". So, then I used the provided .mfs for the 7.2.2-140. I restored that to my drive and then killhdinitrd'd the 3.1.5(also tried 3.1.1) kernel and dd'd it to my partitions worked fine no errors except hda7 and 9 would not mount. The tut I was using said this was ok, is it? Anyway that combo resulted in a reboot loop, even though I read earlier on, that should work.

I was following the techstorm.net tutorial; Is there a better tut to use?

I have the 7.2.2-140 image on the drive, it works in the Tivo as expected, but it is not hacked, will the kernel in this image work with killhdinitrd 9.3?

Is there a way to extract my kernel from the drive and then run killhdinitrd against it?

I currently have mfstools installed on Ubuntu*** can I killhdinitrd from that vantage point?

I have trolled demonoid, tpb, and others for a naughty .mfs or just a virgin 7.2.2-140 kernel and I find nothing :-(

Is Tivo hacking dead because, I was about to buy a series 3 and hack that up, but I am now worried I might have trouble acquiring the necessary stuffs.

Sorry about all the questions but, I have spent 2 days basting in this forum and have been hanging out in #tivo, #hack, #h@ckers on efnet and undernet and not a single response. I have also asked around in a couple of other servers also to no avail.

*** I am a die hard RH fan and have been using FC for ages.

You could check the prom day threads to see what kind of hacking can be done on an S3, depending on to which model S3 you refer.

My TCD648250B is showing all the symptoms described as a hard drive failure; stopping on boot, big tiles of video stalling, and simply going dark. So I've come begging. I have 1tb sata drives to install as replacement but need the image and link to the appropriate utility software to use in win7 environment. Are those still available?

Also, I read above that one should check the drive using manufacturer tools for bad sectors. Can that be done using external usb drive holder on win7 machine or will I need linux box to run utilities?

Thanks in advance and this forum has been a great resource.

Quote Originally Posted by BCondor View Post
    My TCD648250B is showing all the symptoms described as a hard drive failure; stopping on boot, big tiles of video stalling, and simply going dark. So I've come begging. I have 1tb sata drives to install as replacement but need the image and link to the appropriate utility software to use in win7 environment. Are those still available?

Also, I read above that one should check the drive using manufacturer tools for bad sectors. Can that be done using external usb drive holder on win7 machine or will I need linux box to run utilities?

Thanks in advance and this forum has been a great resource.
    You should also try the "Need an image, don't PM me" thread at tivocommunityforum (don't let the title throw you, it's an historical artifact)

What's the brand and model of the drive that's allegedly giving trouble, and what's the brand(s) and model(s) of the proposed 1TB replacements?

You can probably run the long test with the drive plugged into a USB adapter. You'll need the Win7 machine, but not Win7 itself. You'll get the manufacturer's diagnostic software in bootable cd form and burn yourself a copy.

Worst comes to worst, you can open up that machine and take the SATA leads off of your Windows drive and hook up the TiVo drive to those and boot with the cd. That has the added advantage of assuring you that you can't do anything during the process to screw up your Windows drive, although you'd have to deliberately go out of your way to do so anyway.

You should also go to mfslive.org and download what you need to make yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4, which is handy to have even if you don't own a TiVo, and download and install the WinMFS on your Windows 7 drive. Both are available at that site, although they can't restore each other's backup images, but you don't know which kind you'll get yet, and they can both be handy in diagnosing the old drive.

You can temporarily turn that Win 7 box into a Linux box with one of the several different Live cd's available.
    The Parted Magic one is handy to have.

Having said all of that, maybe the problem is actually your power supply.

Go read the wikipedia article on "capacitor plague" and take a look at badcaps.net and then visually inspect the power supply for the slightest sign of bulging or leaking.

Marginal or flaky power supplies can cause all sorts of strange symptoms.

If it is one or more bad capacitors, it's not a difficult repair.

HR10-250 image begging

Hi Gang -

Newbie member here. I'm trying to resuscitate my old DirecTivo HR10-250. It's been sitting in a closet for about 4 years due to a failed power supply. I finally broke down and bought a replacement power supply off eBay only to find out that the HD seemed to be hosed (sigh). I tried a bunch of things to boot the unit, but I nothing's worked. As best as I can tell I need to try a new hard drive.

Can someone provide me with a fresh working image of 6.4a for HR10-250? I dug through the last few years of pages for this thread, but unfortunately all the links to HR10-250 images seem dead. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

- philbert

Unfortunately I can't help you with an image for a satellite TiVo, but allow me to suggest that whatever the brand of the drive from the TiVo is, you download the diagnostic software from that manufacturer (if it's a Maxtor get the Seagate software) and run the long test on the drive. If it turns out there's nothing wrong with the drive physically, report back and we'll see if we can repair the software, either by using WinMFS to switch the bootpage or using a Kickstart procedure to get the TiVo itself to fix things.

Hi unitron -

Many thanks for the reply I haven't gone so far as to verify that my HR10-250 drive's gone bad using the manufacturer's software (in my case it's a WD 250 GH drive). What originally happened back in 2008 was that my DTivo was frequently doing spontaneous reboots and often showing an error message at boot time. The error message I finally tracked down turned out to be DTV's cryptic way of telling me I had a failing power supply (most likely due to bad capacitors, which is apparently a common problem with the HR10-250's). Fast forward to 2011. With the new power supply in, the DTivo no longer shows me the error message at boot, but it gets stuck on a particular screen later in the boot cycle ("Almost there. Just a few minutes more...").

I have tried both Kickstarting the DTivo as well as using WinMFS to swap the bootpage on the drive. Unfortunately neither approach has worked. I'm thinking I may have to break down and buy InstantCake. But I'm a pretty savvy computer guy who's at home with Linux, terminal, etc. So that's why I'm hoping to locate a 6.4a image on my own before spending any additional money on the problem.

Again, many thanks for your advice. If you're interested in any further details, please ask

- philbert

philbert,

Can you actually get it to do kickstarts?

Have you tried both 57 and 58?

Have you tried image begging over at TCF also?

Hey unitron -

I tried doing a Kickstart 52 several times and was unsuccessful. Right now my original drive is connected to one of my PCs booted into Linux so I can backup the show data (hacking is fun!). I'm currently backing up about 80 or so recordings to TY+ files. Tomorrow I'll try putting the HR10-250 back together and do a Kickstart 57 & 58 as per your advice.

I created an account over at TCF a long time ago, but I haven't logged into it in about 5 years I can definitely try putting in a beg request over there as well.

Thanks!

- philbert

The thread you want is "Need an image, don't PM me".

does anybody have a image for a tivo hd tcd652160 my hard drive crashed and im trying to replace the drive and put a new image on it please let me know thnx

Quote Originally Posted by jpeters870 View Post
    does anybody have a image for a tivo hd tcd652160 my hard drive crashed and im trying to replace the drive and put a new image on it please let me know thnx
    Go to the "need an image, don't PM me" thread on tivocommunity.com and search for posts by "unitron"

Looking for an OLDIE, but a GOODIE.

Hughes GXCEBOT went like 7 years without any major issues. My 2.5xtreme cd fails at 99%, and my original HD backup works, but doesn't fix the prob. Powering Up... please wait... I think it's the hd, but who knows...psu seems fine

Anyone know where I could find a copy of the DSR6000 2.5xtreme iso? I didn't see anything on emule/torrents, and all the links I originally used are probably 7+ years old (dead)

Quote Originally Posted by pksystems View Post
    Looking for an OLDIE, but a GOODIE.

Hughes GXCEBOT went like 7 years without any major issues. My 2.5xtreme cd fails at 99%, and my original HD backup works, but doesn't fix the prob. Powering Up... please wait... I think it's the hd, but who knows...psu seems fine

Anyone know where I could find a copy of the DSR6000 2.5xtreme iso? I didn't see anything on emule/torrents, and all the links I originally used are probably 7+ years old (dead)
    You can also try here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=388695

if you haven't already.